Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Hiring staff - young vs middle ages
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:45 pm
If you had to choose between 2 equally qualified candidates, one who is a young mother and will probably take off pretty regularly (4 kids under 4) vs one who is semi retired and in her 50’s which would you choose? As a youngish(early 40’s) mom myself I feel guilty not to choose the young mother just because she has other priorities, but I also know that hiring someone in this age group will little ones means frequent absences, kids getting sick, coming in with kids on days off, maternity leave, etc.
My business is pretty small and very hard for me to function when I don’t have a secretary (means I can’t get anything done or customers don’t get answered).
My instinct is to hire the older one, just second guessing before I decide.

greenteaorange

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:49 pm
Who gave you a better vibe? Who seemed more capable and committed to the job?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:49 pm
It is illegal to hire or not hire because of someone's age (as long as legally allowed to work) and they can do the job equally well.

ysydmom

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:52 pm
go with the 50 year old, you need the assistance and the young mother is going to take off every other day to deal with things. Once your business grows you can hire a young mother part time. Another thing to keep in mind is if the 50 year old is knowledgeable enough in computers and emails not every 50 year old is tech savvy, the younger the more tech so it depends on how you run your business.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:57 pm
I work for a tiny company. No one can do my job for me so my boss used to be afraid of hiring mothers with small kids for reasons you list above but I proved him wrong. I will say that barring a true emergency DH is able to be home with a sick kid or on a no school day which is really important.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 9:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you had to choose between 2 equally qualified candidates, one who is a young mother and will probably take off pretty regularly (4 kids under 4) vs one who is semi retired and in her 50’s which would you choose? As a youngish(early 40’s) mom myself I feel guilty not to choose the young mother just because she has other priorities, but I also know that hiring someone in this age group will little ones means frequent absences, kids getting sick, coming in with kids on days off, maternity leave, etc.
My business is pretty small and very hard for me to function when I don’t have a secretary (means I can’t get anything done or customers don’t get answered).
My instinct is to hire the older one, just second guessing before I decide.

Thank you for saying that 40s is still youngish!! I would go with thr 50 year old for her life experience alone if she is just as qualified on paper as the younger applicant.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:06 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Thank you for saying that 40s is still youngish!! I would go with thr 50 year old for her life experience alone if she is just as qualified on paper as the younger applicant.
this

anonymous mom

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:07 pm
Younger people are sometimes more on the ball, quicker learners and more savvy in tech and other areas.

Older people are sometimes more mature, more dependable, more grounded, and more experienced.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:08 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
It is illegal to hire or not hire because of someone's age (as long as legally allowed to work) and they can do the job equally well.

Their are 2 candidates, obviously I wouldn’t disclose why I chose who I chose , but their are a million other reasons I can use to justify hiring the 50 year old from more experienced, more flexible schedule, more availability to work overtime if needed (other candidate has another part time job plus young kids and she openly admitted she might not be able to come in when there is no school/ camp). It’s not so much about age as her taking off every erev chag , legal holiday, etc. that I am concerned about. Maternity leave is just another worry.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:10 pm
ysydmom wrote:
go with the 50 year old, you need the assistance and the young mother is going to take off every other day to deal with things. Once your business grows you can hire a young mother part time. Another thing to keep in mind is if the 50 year old is knowledgeable enough in computers and emails not every 50 year old is tech savvy, the younger the more tech so it depends on how you run your business.

The 50 year old has been working on computers for the last 20 years, not worried about tech knowledge (she is better at computers than I am).

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:10 pm
anonymous mom wrote:
Younger people are sometimes more on the ball, quicker learners and more savvy in tech and other areas.

Older people are sometimes more mature, more dependable, more grounded, and more experienced.
exactly this, you have to see what works better for your company

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:12 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
Who gave you a better vibe? Who seemed more capable and committed to the job?

The 50 + year old definitely has a freer schedule and would be more dedicated to the business since she doesn’t have very many other commitments. All her kids are married and out of the house.
The younger mother was more desperate for work / income and would do anything to please me (or so she said) , but she would be fitting in my 20 hour a week job between another job and her kids.

anonymous mom

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
The 50 + year old definitely has a freer schedule and would be more dedicated to the business since she doesn’t have very many other commitments. All her kids are married and out of the house.
The younger mother was more desperate for work / income and would do anything to please me (or so she said) , but she would be fitting in my 20 hour a week job between another job and her kids.

From what you're writing it sounds like you are more interested in the older applicant. Trust your gut.

greenteaorange

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:24 pm
The choice sounds simple to me.
If you disqualify the younger candidate it is not because of her family but the balancing multiple jobs and less qualified

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:27 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
The choice sounds simple to me.
If you disqualify the younger candidate it is not because of her family but the balancing multiple jobs and less qualified

This exactly. I would be very hesitant to hire someone who has another oart time job because I'd know that this would not be her priority. Additionally, if someone is so honest during an interview to say that they would take off when their kids are off school that's a huge red flag. That would show me that they are not going to view this job as a priority.

OceanRider

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:33 pm
Sounds like you would much rather benefit from the 50 yr old but you feel bad for the younger one.

I applaud your consideration and kindness, but ultimately when it comes to business you have to go with what works best for you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:37 pm
OceanRider wrote:
Sounds like you would much rather benefit from the 50 yr old but you feel bad for the younger one.

I applaud your consideration and kindness, but ultimately when it comes to business you have to go with what works best for you.

Yes, exactly that. I feel for the young mom because I know how hard it is to work full time with infants at home and this type of flexible job is exactly what she wants, but for my business the older lady is probably much better.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:38 pm
My mom is in her early 60's and lost her job during covid because her boss retired. She didn't work for about 2 years or so (was taking care of my sick grandma) and was hired last year. Her boss LOVES her. My mom is super dependable and responsible , never needs to take off or come late or leave early.

OP I say do what's best for your business. If someone older will help your business grow then hire that person

OceanRider

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:44 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
My mom is in her early 60's and lost her job during covid because her boss retired. She didn't work for about 2 years or so (was taking care of my sick grandma) and was hired last year. Her boss LOVES her. My mom is super dependable and responsible , never needs to take off or come late or leave early.

OP I say do what's best for your business. If someone older will help your business grow then hire that person

Yes. I absolutely adore my older employees. They are gems.

I totally get OP. It’s a tough spot to be in. But this is a business and not a chessed organization. I would say go with the older one. We need to help you figure out how to kindly let the younger applicant know it won’t work at the moment.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 10:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, exactly that. I feel for the young mom because I know how hard it is to work full time with infants at home and this type of flexible job is exactly what she wants, but for my business the older lady is probably much better.

The job doesn’t sound flexible in the slightest.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics