Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The Jet Stream- Canadian Wildfire Smoke

crust

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:00 pm
I want to use this thread just to understand how the wind works. (If that's possible!)

Please don't comment about your hesitations around the wildfires.
There are enough threads for that.

Please also don't comment about your shock that we New Yorkers are clueless about wildfires.

Yes. We are clueless. This is a thread that might make us a bit less clueless. Thanks.

This is an image Growing Up posted on the other thread.

This jet stream is passing Montreal just like it passed us.
How come Montreal didn't feel anything?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:14 pm
I'm guessing that the particles were much higher in the atmosphere closer to the fire. As they disperse, they would begin falling, and they're coming close to ground level around New York area.

Montreal can probably smell the smoke, but isn't suffering from nearly such a high level of pollution.

I remember once watching a fire in the Jerusalem forest. We were all rather worried about our houses (I remember mentally listing the most important things to take if we had to evacuate) but the smoke wasn't really bothering us. The next day, when the fire was out, the smoke smell and pollution was far worse.

Last edited by Elfrida on Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Laiya

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:17 pm
wrote:
The weather pattern creating this phenomenon is extremely unusual. A stalled nor’easter that's currently stopped over Maine is blocking the jet stream. The low pressure is pushing air from north to south, instead of the typical west to east.

“In this case, it's an atmospheric traffic jam and nothing is moving along very quickly, and that's why we're in this persistent pattern,” explained meteorologist Garett Argianas in an interview with WNYC’s Brian Lehrer.

This kind of north-to-south movement is especially rare to see during the summer, and that’s the reason for cooler-than-normal temperatures this week, Casey explained.

https://gothamist.com/news/why.....blame

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:36 pm
Hi Crust Hi

This is a basic overview (how I understand it) of how jet streams work and how it affects the weather (and currently, the air pollution).

The Earth’s atmosphere is like a gigantic ocean. Just like there are currents and streams flowing different ways, there are streams of air called jet streams. They generally flow from West to East.

Jet streams form when warm air (near the equator) meets the cold air (from the poles). They don’t mix together, just like oil and water doesn’t. Instead it creates a boundary called a polar front. The jet steam forms along the polar front. It’s a stream of air that moves really fast.

Jet streams shift over time based on the atmosphere, temperature and other factors.

Currently, the jet stream is setup in a way that it is carrying the smoke to us. It is not blowing east to Montreal. Maybe things will shift in a few days and it will. But for right now, it is what it is.

crust

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:10 pm
Laiya wrote:
https://gothamist.com/news/why-has-nycs-air-quality-stayed-so-bad-unusual-weather-patterns-are-partially-to-blame

Thanks Laiya
This article is very informative.
I like how they say there's a traffic jam which causes it to come towards South.

crust

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:11 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
Hi Crust Hi

This is a basic overview (how I understand it) of how jet streams work and how it affects the weather (and currently, the air pollution).

The Earth’s atmosphere is like a gigantic ocean. Just like there are currents and streams flowing different ways, there are streams of air called jet streams. They generally flow from West to East.

Jet streams form when warm air (near the equator) meets the cold air (from the poles). They don’t mix together, just like oil and water doesn’t. Instead it creates a boundary called a polar front. The jet steam forms along the polar front. It’s a stream of air that moves really fast.

Jet streams shift over time based on the atmosphere, temperature and other factors.

Currently, the jet stream is setup in a way that it is carrying the smoke to us. It is not blowing east to Montreal. Maybe things will shift in a few days and it will. But for right now, it is what it is.

Thanks. This explained it even more.

I really appreciate it.

crust

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:19 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I'm guessing that the particles were much higher in the atmosphere closer to the fire. As they disperse, they would begin falling, and they're coming close to ground level around New York area.

Montreal can probably smell the smoke, but isn't suffering from nearly such a high level of pollution.

I remember once watching a fire in the Jerusalem forest. We were all rather worried about our houses (I remember mentally listing the most important things to take if we had to evacuate) but the smoke wasn't really bothering us. The next day, when the fire was out, the smoke smell and pollution was far worse.

I am wondering if we can expect more pollution once the fires are completely out?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:46 pm
crust wrote:
I am wondering if we can expect more pollution once the fires are completely out?

I think it might be more localised then, without the convection currents to lift the particles so high.

GLUE

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:55 am
crust wrote:

Ever learned about the year with no summer?

A volcano erupted and spit out so much dust that it staid in the atmosphere and covered the sun, so that year snow fell in July.

The answer to that question is it depends on if the dust stays in the atmosphere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics