Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Uber Eats - how does it work?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:56 pm
I got a promo code for $30 off my first order.
So for example, if I spend $25 on the food -
how much will the order really come out to with delivery and other fees?
How much should I tip in this case? (travel is about 5-10 min)
Should I add the tip to the app or tip in cash upon delivery? Where do I state that I'll tip at the door?
I'm a newbie. So just wondering if my $30 freebie will end up costing me more than anticipated.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:58 pm
Yes it will cost you more than you think. I assume $30 is for an order of more than x amount of money.

IME the best Uber coupons end up costing you very slightly less than going to the store and ordering yourself. There's a service fee, tip etc

Tipping depends on where you live, in my area no one will pick up my order if I give less than a $5 tip. You're supposed to tip in app

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 2:02 pm
Just add it up and see what it comes to. The promotional codes of that amount are generally a good deal.

You have to tip in the App because that is how the delivery people make their money.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 2:12 pm
Amarante wrote:
Just add it up and see what it comes to. The promotional codes of that amount are generally a good deal.

You have to tip in the App because that is how the delivery people make their money.

I thought they might prefer getting cash.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 2:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought they might prefer getting cash.

They are paid the tip. They won’t pick up an order without a tip.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 3:44 pm
Amarante wrote:

That's not true. I don't always tip. I always get my order.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:03 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
That's not true. I don't always tip. I always get my order.

You are lucky that you got drivers who were desperate. Most gig delivery people won’t order without a tip because their base pay is so low that they could make nothing in terms of gas costs.

I don’t understand how you can not tip someone. These are workers who are trying hard to earn a living. You can do it in the App if you don’t have cash. 🤷‍♀️ would you go to a restaurant and not tip. Do you think a delivery person is performing less of a service to you?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:56 pm
We have Uber eats in the Uk and most people don’t tip and we all get our orders!

We generally don’t tip here at all, totally different to the USA. And the Uber eats drivers all earn, otherwise there wouldn’t be any!

There is a cool YouTube channel of a guy who films his rides(either Deliveroo or Uber eats)- I love it! It’s called London Hustle

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:01 pm
Tipping hardly occurs in the UK.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
We have Uber eats in the Uk and most people don’t tip and we all get our orders!

We generally don’t tip here at all, totally different to the USA. And the Uber eats drivers all earn, otherwise there wouldn’t be any!

There is a cool YouTube channel of a guy who films his rides(either Deliveroo or Uber eats)- I love it! It’s called London Hustle

I am on some international sites where tipping has been discussed. The UK and the EU are not tipping economies

This is principally because service workers are paid a relatively decent wage. In the US, some service jobs pay very little because there is an expectation that tips will be a significant part of their wages. The IRS will tax a certain amount for waiters because the assumption is they are receiving tips in addition to their base hourly wage.

This is so much so that many restaurants in tourist areas will charge a service fee because so many Europeans are not aware of the importance of tipping.

I don’t have first hand knowledge but I read on imamother thst certain kosher restaurants also impose a tip in the USA 🤷‍♀️

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:06 pm
Whenever I get these promos it ends up costing the same as if I would have gone into the store. After delivery, tip, up charges, etc

But it’s easier to have it delivered.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am on some international sites where tipping has been discussed. The UK and the EU are not tipping economies

This is principally because service workers are paid a relatively decent wage. In the US, some service jobs pay very little because there is an expectation that tips will be a significant part of their wages. The IRS will tax a certain amount for waiters because the assumption is they are receiving tips in addition to their base hourly wage.

This is so much so that many restaurants in tourist areas will charge a service fee because so many Europeans are not aware of the importance of tipping.

I don’t have first hand knowledge but I read on imamother thst certain kosher restaurants also impose a tip in the USA 🤷‍♀️

By way of example, an Instacart worker is paid only $7.00 for each batch they SHOP AND DELIVER. They must drive to the store, shop for the items, check out in line, put bags in car, drive to where they are to be delivered, take out of car and bring them to the person who ordered. This would probably take at least an hour and cost the driver gas as well. Does anyone think $7.00 is a fair amount for this amount of work?

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
By way of example, an Instacart worker is paid only $7.00 for each batch they SHOP AND DELIVER. They must drive to the store, shop for the items, check out in line, put bags in car, drive to where they are to be delivered, take out of car and bring them to the person who ordered. This wild probably take at least an hour and cost the driver gas as well. Does anyone think $7.00 is a fair amount for this amount of work?

Oh gosh. No that is not a fair amount. As far as I am aware we don’t have any such service in Uk - we have Deliveroo and similar for groceries too, but the shop workers package it up (no cost to the buyer) and the delivery driver gets the money that the buyer pays for delivery.

happy12

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
By way of example, an Instacart worker is paid only $7.00 for each batch they SHOP AND DELIVER. They must drive to the store, shop for the items, check out in line, put bags in car, drive to where they are to be delivered, take out of car and bring them to the person who ordered. This wild probably take at least an hour and cost the driver gas as well. Does anyone think $7.00 is a fair amount for this amount of work?

That's insane.
The people I see doing Costco orders work hard.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:33 pm
happy12 wrote:
That's insane.
The people I see doing Costco orders work hard.

Yes that is why I get very indignant when I read about people not tipping US service workers an appropriate amount. It is taking advantage of people on the low end of the economic scale who really work hard to make a living.

I didn’t know how little instacart base pay was until I read an article and I was shocked. I use Instacart and it is expensive but I am not going to use a luxury service and exploit the workers providing the service.

Can you imagine what an Instacart or other delivery person thinks when they drop off an expensive order to a nice house and don’t receive a tip or receive a tip thst is insultingly low.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Oh gosh. No that is not a fair amount. As far as I am aware we don’t have any such service in Uk - we have Deliveroo and similar for groceries too, but the shop workers package it up (no cost to the buyer) and the delivery driver gets the money that the buyer pays for delivery.

Very different treatment of service workers in the UK. They are not expected to earn their salary through tips. 🤷‍♀️

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:49 pm
Amarante wrote:

Federal law in the US requires that employers make up the difference if employees do not earn enough in tips to meet minimum wage. People have this assumption that employees are only earning $2-$3 and hour and that it's on the customer to make sure they tip enough to supplement their wages, but that isn't true.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:52 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Federal law in the US requires that employers make up the difference if employees do not earn enough in tips to meet minimum wage. People have this assumption that employees are only earning $2-$3 and hour and that it's on the customer to make sure they tip enough to supplement their wages, but that isn't true.

Gig workers are not employees and nit covered by this in most jurisdictions. They are independent contractors. Their hours aren’t tracked when they are doing Instacart or door dash so they aren’t in the clock.

In California it is slightly different but that is completely unique and only because there was a referendum which supported the gig workers.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:54 pm
Amarante wrote:

How does this make sense? They don't see the tip till an hour after its delivered. You can edit your tip until around then

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:57 pm
The Uber Eats promos are sometimes really good.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics