Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen renovation

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 11:44 am
Trying to decide between laminate and wood cabinets. Wood is gorgeous, but I don’t want to stress over every chip and scratch. Will I be happier with laminate in the long run because it holds up better? I don’t want a modern look. What do you have? And are you happy with it? Need advice!! Thanks

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 12:02 pm
I recently got laminate it’s not the same as wood. Yes it holds up nice so far but it’s cheapy feel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 12:15 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
I recently got laminate it’s not the same as wood. Yes it holds up nice so far but it’s cheapy feel.

Thanks did you get laminate in the whole kitchen or a mix? Do you think it’s because it was from a lower end line? The kitchen place is telling me they have “high end” laminates that do seem to look really nice, but wonder if they end up looking cheap when not in the sleek showroom.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 12:15 pm
I did upper in wood and lower in a laminate wood look. Doesn’t have cheap look at all. Tho mine is a more modern look

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 12:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks did you get laminate in the whole kitchen or a mix? Do you think it’s because it was from a lower end line? The kitchen place is telling me they have “high end” laminates that do seem to look really nice, but wonder if they end up looking cheap when not in the sleek showroom.

It’s really sleek and modern and pretty. I did the bottoms a mid brown dark wood and top white. But as others explained on a recent thread, you don’t see houses from designer catalogs with them.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 2:32 pm
The TSS textured surfaces — that's a modern high pressure laminate — do hold up better than wood to dings and scratches. In my opinion they do not look cheap, but it's definitely a modern look. Within natural woods, stained woods will hold up better than painted.

Link: https://wellsfordcabinetry.com.....face/

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 11:02 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
The TSS textured surfaces — that's a modern high pressure laminate — do hold up better than wood to dings and scratches. In my opinion they do not look cheap, but it's definitely a modern look. Within natural woods, stained woods will hold up better than painted.

Link: https://wellsfordcabinetry.com.....face/

Thanks so much! I really don’t want to stress about dings and scratches when my kids bang chairs and toys around!! My kitchen and house is definitely not a modern look though. Thoughts on doing a light oak stain on all the cabinets and doing a laminate on the island and fridge/ freezer/ pantry paneling? Can I pull that off while still being more traditional?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen