Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn essentials- first week
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 5:56 am
What do I absolutely need to have for at least for the first week with a newborn? I.e. in the hospital, and then when coming home. I don't want to run into a situation (if I can avoid it) of having DH run out to the store for something we forgot to buy. I'm sure he'll be exhausted as well.

I imagine after the first week, we'll have a better idea of what we need and more time for an Amazon delivery if needed.

Looking for a list of basic essentials. No diaper genies and wipe warmers, please.

mfb

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 5:59 am
Clothing
undershirts
blankets
car seat
pampers
diapers
pacifiers
bottles
baby body wash

bargainlover

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:00 am
Diapers
Wipes
Pacifier
Bottle
Formula
Place for baby to sleep plus the sheets for it (bassinet crib etc)
Undershirts
Stretchies
Blanket
Swaddle is helpful
Diaper cloths
Bibs
Car seat
Baby bath tub
Baby wash and lotion

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:02 am
Thanks! Do they need to be wearing an undershirt under clothes at all times? This will be in early fall IYH. How do I make sure they're the right temp without being too hot or cold?

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:03 am
I'll add to the previous list things you need for mom in that first week:
manual breast pump
nursing bras
nursing pads
sanitary napkins or disposable underwear
easy grab'n' go food for mom (protein bars, yogurt, fruit, whatever your thing is)

if it's a boy - supplies for bris (mohel doesn't supply and with each boy, DH needs to run out last minute for those gauze pads and whatever cream mohel says to put)

my babies all wear hats in the beginning, they need swaddles or swaddle blankets

bargainlover

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Do they need to be wearing an undershirt under clothes at all times? This will be in early fall IYH. How do I make sure they're the right temp without being too hot or cold?

Yes, I was told they should always wear one more layer than you

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:05 am
If you're planning on nursing:
Nursing cover
Lanolin gel

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:05 am
What about for me? There are so many different items reccomended online.

for example:

peri bottle
nursing pads
n*pple guards and cream
the infamous aloe pads

Has anybody used these and found them helpful?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:06 am
Rappel wrote:
If you're planning on nursing:
Nursing cover
Lanolin gel

Added to my list!

bargainlover

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:07 am
amother OP wrote:

for example:

peri bottle
nursing pads
n*pple guards and cream
the infamous aloe pads

Frida Peri bottle was amazing, I’d definitely buy that
You’ll need nursing pads and lanolin of nursing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:08 am
amother Maple wrote:
I'll add to the previous list things you need for mom in that first week:
manual breast pump
nursing bras
nursing pads
sanitary napkins or disposable underwear
easy grab'n' go food for mom (protein bars, yogurt, fruit, whatever your thing is)

if it's a boy - supplies for bris (mohel doesn't supply and with each boy, DH needs to run out last minute for those gauze pads and whatever cream mohel says to put)

my babies all wear hats in the beginning, they need swaddles or swaddle blankets

What's the practical difference between a manual and electric pump, other than the obvious? Is there a reason I should get one over the other?

Also, I can't imagine how people arrange a bris in under a week, but obviously everyone does.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:08 am
I pay for 1 month of Amazon prime when I have a baby. Makes a huge difference. I just set it to not renew after the one month.

Basics:
Clothes for baby to wear(you won't know if baby needs newborn or 0-3 till they're born)
Place for baby to sleep
Carseat
Pads etc for you (tush and nursing)
Spit up cloths (we buy a pack of Gerber diapers)
Diapers and wipes
Stroller and baby carrier are helpful
Diaper bag is helpful
Back up formula/ bottles
Pump and haaka if nursing
Personally I also like a long phoen charger and good water bottle.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:09 am
A good reason for the undershirt is the umbilical cord , you don’t want it staining the baby’s clothes.

So my list includes
Car seat to go home from the hospital
Undershirts
Sleepers
Diapers
Wipes
Bassinet for sleeping
Pacifier
Baby bath/towel/body wash
Burp clothes

For mom
Pain meds
Pads/adult diapers
Nipple care
Pump
Nursing bra
Comfy clothes/pjs

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:11 am
amother OP wrote:
What's the practical difference between a manual and electric pump, other than the obvious? Is there a reason I should get one over the other?

Also, I can't imagine how people arrange a bris in under a week, but obviously everyone does.

Manual is good for just emptying a bit or on the go. Electric is better for a full feeding (but some people do manage a full feeding with manual). Personally I have both. Insurance will pay for electric if you live in the US.

Figure out your top 3 choices of where to have the bris and top 3 choices of caterer ahead of time.
We called the mohel as soon as baby was born. Then start calling places, book a place. Call caterers, pick a caterer. Bris packages are generally easy to pick

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:13 am
amother OP wrote:

for example:

peri bottle
nursing pads
n*pple guards and cream
the infamous aloe pads

Peri bottle I’ve always gotten from the hospital.
Nursing pads you should buy, the guards etc you won’t know what you’ll need if anything until after you start and see what works for you and this baby. Maybe you could get some idea if you meet with a lactation consultant in advance but no guarantee until baby is born.
I never bothered with any special pads, frozen or otherwise. I don’t have the headspace for anything extra.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:19 am
Also I’ve found it very helpful to subscribe to Amazon Prime for a month, and find out if there’s a grocery store and pharmacy who deliver same day if you need. Gives me a peace of mind knowing that I can get anything I need. If you don’t have those, it might be helpful to get ijstacart or Uber one also just for the month.

ittsamother

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:21 am
amother OP wrote:

for example:

peri bottle
nursing pads
n*pple guards and cream
the infamous aloe pads

The hospital always gives some basic supplies- peri bottle, witch hazel pads, they've given me nipple guards and cream when I mentioned my nipples were hurting, even a manual pump with my first when she wasn't latching on well enough at first to nurse enough on her own. (I bought nursing pads before my first and to this day have still never needed them, after my 3rd already.) They also let you take home all the supplies they put in your room- the extra disposable underwear and pads, etc. I've taken home the extra disposable chuck pads, made me feel so much less worried abt leaking thru my pad at night. (They also make great on the go diaper changing mats!)

Most hospitals supply your baby's bassinet with diapers and wipes, and let you take home whatever's left when you're ready to go. Make sure to bring a going-home outfit for them! And prepare the car seat with whatever newborn inserts it comes with.

As far as basics- for the baby, you need some clothing for it (I found the long nightgowns with elastic at the bottom the best for both boys and girls, cuz no tedious unsnapping in middle of the night) but basic undershirts, stretchies (zippers are aaaaaalways best, next best is snaps, avoid buttons at all costs! and I love the ones that let you unzip from the toes up as well, so much easier for diaper changes) as well as a hat or two, some swaddles, diapers (Pampers swaddlers are best when they're newborn, then you can experiment with brands to see what they're comfortable with), wipes, and cream (I love triple paste), some burp cloths (more than you think you need!), a bottle in case anything isn't going well with nursing at first, and a car seat to get it home in and a bassinet/crib for it to sleep in. Oh yes- and a boppy to help with nursing. I found it made such a massive difference I refuse to even think of nursing without one now!!

Eventually you'll want a little bouncer to put it down in, and the accessories will just keep growing, they take over your life! But to begin with- just what you need to keep your baby warm, give it a place to sleep, and whatever nursing accessories it may need.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:22 am
You don't need a baby bath tub for first week.

Babies don't need to be bathed so early and if they do a sponge bath suffices.

(I actually don't use a bathtub, I free bathe in the big tub..)

Our model provides a beciatiful package with everything you need including ointment, gauze pads, beautifully printed instructions, wipes, diapers, swaddle...

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:24 am
Looks like you have a great list, with all these comments. The one thing I see missing is diaper cream. Personally I use a & d, but there are plenty out there that are great. You might also want to get some newborn size bins, in case your baby is a spitter. Oh! You might also want to get baby mittens, so baby doesn’t scratch anyone, including himself/herself.
Bshaa Tova!!

ittsamother

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:27 am
The bris is a lot easier to pull together than you think- there are standard catering packages, they've done it all before more times than you can count and know exactly what to do. All you have to do is pick a mohel, pick a location, and pick a caterer, and give them a number of people. (I actually found that the hardest step of everything lol) They'll do all the setup and cleanup, provide everything you need- it's probably actually the easiest simcha you'll make. No running around on your part whatsoever! Oh, except maybe to get the baby's outfit and pillow - there are gemachs for that.

And yeah, if you know what mohel you want, you can call them now already and ask what supplies they'll want you to have on hand, and put together a kit now already! Nothing is perishable.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics