Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Newark,NJ
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:14 am
Is there an orthodox community here? Schools? Sephardi minyanim? Whats the closes place with schools / shopping to here?

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:18 am
The jews moved out of Newark decades ago. It’s a terrible neighborhood.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:22 am
Elizabeth, NJ is right next door. And had at least 3 main shuls a few dying shuls.. unfortunately plus the JEC elementary school and RTMA & Bruriah high schools.

Plus a small kosher store, meat restaurant, Chinese and pizza place and a kosher Dunkin.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:23 am
[quote="amother Heather"]The jews moved out of Newark decades ago. It’s a terrible neighborhood.

[What makes it so terrible?]

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:40 am
I had a drs appointment for one of my kids in Newark about a year ago.
I had no idea how horrible that neighborhood was.
Homeless in the street.
I parked my car a few blocks away and didn’t realize how frightening the walk would be.
When I came back to my car there was damage.
I called the police and 2 officers showed up and said there was nothing they can do.
Why do you want to move there? Is there another part of the neighborhood that is different?
Maybe there’s a chabad family??
After my experience I would never want to live there.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:53 am
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Heather wrote:
The jews moved out of Newark decades ago. It’s a terrible neighborhood.

[What makes it so terrible?]

Its all criminals and drug addicts there.
That's the truth
Nobody lives in Newark not even chabad. I grew up nearby. It's a terrible place.

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:54 am
Has a very high crime rate and lots of drugs literally wherever you go .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:56 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
I had a drs appointment for one of my kids in Newark about a year ago.
I had no idea how horrible that neighborhood was.
Homeless in the street.
I parked my car a few blocks away and didn’t realize how frightening the walk would be
When I came back to my car there was damage.
I called the police and 2 officers showed up and said there was nothing they can do.
Why do you want to move there? Is there another part of the neighborhood that is different?
Maybe there’s a chabad family??
After my experience I would never want to live there.

Was the walk frightening because you noticed there were mostly Black people? Im having a hard time with your answer. Really sorry you felt that way. Theres homelessness in other parts of the world too. My car can get broker into in Queens although I wouldnt want that to happen but I am trying to understand and very confused. Maybe nothing even happened before you automatically put up a defense before seeing the people in the community? Did you say good morning/ good afternoon to anyone or were you just afraid they wouldnt speak back? Black neighbors, black police officers wouldnt really bother me unless something terrible actually happened. Not sure if Im getting my point across the right away.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:57 am
[quote="cnc"]Has a very high crime rate and lots of drugs literally wherever you go .

Thank you. Im more concerned about crime and drugs than the color of people’s skin. I dont think you have to mention that its all black. High crime and drugs can happen anywhere

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 8:58 am
Op... It's not a racist statement. Have you been there? Why are you considering it? The entire place looks like inner city slum. Abandoned buildings bc real estate tanked. Homelessness and drugs. Crime. It's not about having your defenses up, although you'd be a fool not to.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:00 am
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Arcticblue wrote:

Was the walk frightening because you noticed there were mostly Black people? Im having a hard time with your answer. Really sorry you felt that way. Theres homelessness in other parts of the world too. My car can get broker into in Queens although I wouldnt want that to happen but I am trying to understand and very confused. Maybe nothing even happened before you automatically put up a defense before seeing the people in the community? Did you say good morning/ good afternoon to anyone or were you just afraid they wouldnt speak back? Black neighbors, black police officers wouldnt really bother me unless something terrible actually happened. Not sure if Im getting my point across the right away.

So I guess move there and you’ll figure it out yourself….
If you’re looking for a Jewish community, you won’t find one there.
If you’re comfortable living among people who are drug addicts go right ahead.
No one is stopping you.
You asked. We responded.
Not one person had anything positive to say.
So go and see for yourself.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:00 am
Newark is developing up. Downtown Newark near the train station is pretty nice. But I wouldn’t venture any further away, nor do I know of a Jewish presence in the city. It could be that as the city continues developing, a Jewish community will grow.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:03 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Newark is developing up. Downtown Newark near the train station is pretty nice. But I wouldn’t venture any further away, nor do I know of a Jewish presence in the city. It could be that as the city continues developing, a Jewish community will grow.

It won't because of who lives there. But we can't sound racist so we can't say that.

Like I said, I grew up in a neighboring area. I know very well the history of Newark. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. I know someone who built a hotel there decades ago actually post 9/11 when they got all excited it would develop into a city. The hotel was a bust obviously and still us. If jews move there it will be in another 20 years not another 2.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:06 am
Even non Jews avoid Newark. It’s dangerous. Criminals rule the streets there are daily shoot outs, cars are destroyed etc.. Everyone Jews and non Jews know you stay out of Newark.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:10 am
amother Daphne wrote:
It won't because of who lives there. But we can't sound racist so we can't say that.

Like I said, I grew up in a neighboring area. I know very well the history of Newark. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. I know someone who built a hotel there decades ago actually post 9/11 when they got all excited it would develop into a city. The hotel was a bust obviously and still us. If jews move there it will be in another 20 years not another 2.

My husband actually grew up in Newark proper and we were there about a year ago. Granted, we only stayed downtown. I saw many different types of people walking around. It reminds me of current-day Bed-Stuy or Bushwick. If the city continues to develop and gets cleaned up a bit more, I can definitely see it attracting more people.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:12 am
My husband actually grew up in Newark proper and we were there about a year ago. Granted, we only stayed downtown. I saw many different types of people walking around. It reminds me of current-day Bed-Stuy or Bushwick. If the city continues to develop and gets cleaned up a bit more, I can definitely see it attracting more people.

But I wouldn't move there today with kids

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:33 am
OP- you have your answer- no Jewish life at all because it’s not a particularly safe place to be. If you’re looking for something nearby there’s a nice community in Elizabeth

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:40 am

Absolutely. The downtown is developing with the Prudential Center and other attractions. I wouldn’t move there yet though.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:47 am
I had an interview there. There were gangs on the sidewalks and in the roads, people not really concealing the fact that they were carrying (while they were drug dealing and managing zonas). I saw drug deals taking place from inside my car window, broken windows and unkempt housing, prostitution - and someone came to my car window and asked if I wanted to buy. Needless to say I didn't take the job. I wouldn't want to live there, even if I had an amazing job opportunity and even if there actually was a community there.

My experience was about 10 years ago, so maybe things improved? OP, best thing is for you to go visit and decide for yourself. Look at mikvah.org and godaven to see if the infrastructure to support you spiritually are there, and make an informed decision.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:49 am
DH works in Newark & I'm there fairly often as well. It's a horrible horrible low class city. Full of crime, gangs, drugs, people up to no good. There's a lot of industrial areas as well. It's not a safe place to live.
Much of Newark is run down and just disgusting. I'm always creeped out when driving through.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics