Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Name the community that comes to mind
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 12:13 am
I can't advise on a community, just wanted to point out that housing costs are only a part of the cost of living. You also need to consider tuition and salaries. If you earn a lot more in an area with higher housing and lower tuition, your total financial situation might be better than if you move for the cheap house but earn less and pay more in tuition.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 1:07 am
amother Olive wrote:
Cleveland is not an oot, tiny community anymore. In one area alone (there are primarily 3 neighborhoods) , there are 13 shuls! And I'd definitely add it to your list . It's really a beautiful, special place to live. And no tickets, no meters, no honking, pretty green grass...

And on the other side of town, there are 9 (including some small ones)

But I wouldn't say homes here are beautiful in general, unless you update and expand

And the yeshivish school is going through lots of transition right now. If you're interested, I'd wait a few years and post again asking specifically about how the schooling situation turned out

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 7:00 am
What about south bend? Rochester? How small are you looking for?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 7:24 am
amother Bronze wrote:
What about south bend? Rochester? How small are you looking for?

She said a large oot community

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 7:27 am
amother Plum wrote:
Define "reasonable prices" - offhand Waterbury, Baltimore, Dallas, Detroit, and Cleveland all come to mind

Waterbury is not very yeshivish or large.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Are there any communities that don't charge an arm and a leg for a 2000 sqf home with 4 bedrooms and a yard? Looking to pay 300k-500k rather than 500-700 for such a home. My understanding is that the more popular the location the more price goes up for the exact same type of home. So which locations would such a home go for 300-500?

You most definitely can find that in Cleveland.

Just make sure there is space in the school for your kids ages. Because the school(s) is/are bursting at the seams.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:16 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

It's not not yeshivish

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:19 am
amother Stonewash wrote:

The school hashkafa is definitely yeshivish and a large percentage of the families that live in Waterbury are yeshivish as well.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:52 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
The school hashkafa is definitely yeshivish and a large percentage of the families that live in Waterbury are yeshivish as well.

I guess it depends what you mean by yeshivish. The people I know from Waterbury are not yeshivish at all.

wiki

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:09 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
I guess it depends what you mean by yeshivish. The people I know from Waterbury are not yeshivish at all.

Anywhere OOT will, by definition, be OOT. And that means that the people affiliating with the yeshivish institutions will have a range of actual backgrounds and practices.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:10 am
wiki wrote:
Anywhere OOT will, by definition, be OOT. And that means that the people affiliating with the yeshivish institutions will have a range of actual backgrounds and practices.

Right, but there are OOT places with a large yeshivish contingent. AFAIK Waterbury is not one of them. OOTers can also be yeshivish.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Are there any communities that don't charge an arm and a leg for a 2000 sqf home with 4 bedrooms and a yard? Looking to pay 300k-500k rather than 500-700 for such a home. My understanding is that the more popular the location the more price goes up for the exact same type of home. So which locations would such a home go for 300-500?

You won't find this in Baltimore unless you are willing to move to a semi near Reisterstown Road on the outskirts of the frum community. In your original OP you also stated "beautiful". In Baltimore you won't find a beautiful, updated home with your requirements for $3-5 k. Looking at closer to $6-7k and up to a million now for bigger depending on neighborhood. And tuition is expensive unless you get a break, which many do.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 1:24 pm
Quote:
You won't find this in Baltimore unless you are willing to move to a semi near Reisterstown Road on the outskirts of the frum community. In your original OP you also stated "beautiful". In Baltimore you won't find a beautiful, updated home with your requirements for $3-5 k. Looking at closer to $6-7k and up to a million now for bigger depending on neighborhood. And tuition is expensive unless you get a break, which many do.

I live in Baltimore and this is absolutely incorrect. Maybe this is so in the Greenspring, Indian Village or Ranchleigh areas. But I live in the Park Heights area. I know people who recently made offers on houses between Park Heights and Cross Country and yes some between Park Heights and Reisterstown road. None were above 500k and none a semi. The houses in the area are older, so some may need a facelift. It's no way the outskirts of the frum community. It's vibrant with many young families and about a dozen shuls in the area that I can think of without really even thinking.

I live in a semi in the Park Heights area. It's huge--bigger than some stand alone houses. I bought it 7 years ago for a little more than $200k and it's worth about $350 now. I have 4 finished/semi finished floors. I have 5 bedrooms,4 bathrooms, enclosed porch, home office, playroom, etc. It was updated and fresh looking when we bought. We chose to make some internal changes, but it really needed very little.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:31 pm
can anyone share about cleveland philadelphia or silver spring?

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

The housing in Philadelphia, in the more popular Jewish neighborhoods, for a four bedroom, modern home will cost closer to a million dollars, sometimes even more. But the community is wonderful, plenty of space in the schools, not so many restaurants but a variety of food in grocery stores, but its no where near as large as Baltimore or even Cleveland I don't think. I guess its a smaller, but not tiny, OOT community

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:46 pm
Silver Spring is much smaller than Baltimore and also more expensive. Many ppl have government jobs.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

We have discuss Cleveland up thread a bit. What else would you like to know?

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:17 am
amother OP wrote:

Waterbury, cherry hill, St. Louis, Cleveland

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:20 am
Can anyone tell me more about St Louis? About the community...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating