Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Chaim walder books in library
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:48 pm
What would you tell your Dc if they wanted to take out a chaim walder book in the library?

My Dc is 9 and doesn’t know what happened obviously. I don’t want his books in the house at all. Not sure what to say if Dc asks.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 4:54 pm
I got rid of the books in my home but if my child innocently took out of library I would let him read verses making a big deal and would talk to library. Most das Torah said to get rid of

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:17 pm
I'm surprised they were in the library. I wouldn't make a fuss but I would ask whoever runs the library. Something (I won't go into what) makes me think that some people are thinking that enough time has passed that they can bring them out again. If that's the case, I'd say something.

As for letting my own child read it, I really wouldn't want to. I just don't know how I'd go about it. Hatzlacha!

NechaMom

Most Jewish libraries got rid of it. If yours didn’t maybe ask them to.

NechaMom

PinkFridge wrote:
I'm surprised they were in the library. I wouldn't make a fuss but I would ask whoever runs the library. Something (I won't go into what) makes me think that some people are thinking that enough time has passed that they can bring them out again. If that's the case, I'd say something.

As for letting my own child read it, I really wouldn't want to. I just don't know how I'd go about it. Hatzlacha!

We cross posted. I’m surprised as well.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:22 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Most Jewish libraries got rid of it. If yours didn’t maybe ask them to.

It looks like many people donated them to the local public library , because there are lots .

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:31 pm
Highstrung wrote:
It looks like many people donated them to the local public library , because there are lots .

That’s unfortunate and defeats the purpose.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 5:49 pm
In our public library in monsey NY theres tons of them on the shelves that are never taken out. Before the scandal, those shelves were always empty because his books were constantly checked out. Now every book sits on the shelf.

My kids know (per daas Torah) that we got rid of our books and wont be reading them. I explained its because he was found to be doing very wrong things to children and we cant support that in any way. I also used it as an opportunity to drive body safety in, and explained that he touched children inappropriately even though he dressed very frum, and that if anyone ever touches them they should remember to tell us, even if its a teacher or Rebbi etc.
It definitely made the lesson more real because my son (who had been repeatedly taught body safety "even if he looks very frum") couldnt get over the fact that a frum looking man had done something wrong like that. So I was happy to see that he finally understood to be wary of anyone, no matter how they dress.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:05 pm
I wldnt let my son take out - my ds was 8 when it happened and I told him straight out why. We’re chassidishe and the boro park public library also has piles of them sitting around.. I really shd say something to the librarians they’re clueless

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:08 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

It’s the public library. They probably have no idea

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s the public library. They probably have no idea

Something should be said. I'm just not sure what and by whom.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:30 pm
Why would they do anything about it? The public library has all kinds of books, most much worse than Chaim Walder. They're not going to censor.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:34 pm
My library said it’s not enough of a reason to remove.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:35 pm
There are hundreds of problematic authors unless a book itself has content that is an issue it’s not going to happen. Mine even asked that people stop harassing them about it, was turning into a chillul hashem asking them to remove it.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
What would you tell your Dc if they wanted to take out a chaim walder book in the library?

My Dc is 9 and doesn’t know what happened obviously. I don’t want his books in the house at all. Not sure what to say if Dc asks.

You can tell dc that we don't read those books as the author turned out to not be a good person.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:40 pm
Jackson nj library also has these books

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:50 pm
The public library in NY prides itself on promoting banned books of all sorts. There are special weeks when banned books are promoted. So, no, they won't get rid of it because we think it should be banned.

However, libraries do keep track of book circulation. If a book doesn't get checked out very often, eventually, they'll remove it. So, since CW books are very rarely checked out nowadays, it will eventually be taken off the shelves....

As far as your children, I'm sure you don't allow your children to take out every book the library has, for different reasons. There's no reason why you can't explain to ur child that we don't read this authors book because he did so and so , depending on the child's age

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 7:50 pm
I personally found those books terrifying as a child. I got one as a gift and hated it. My kids don't like books like that so I have never had this experience. I dont see why they can't be in the shelf. Eventually they will be removed because no one takes them out. That's the policy in queens, NY.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
There are hundreds of problematic authors unless a book itself has content that is an issue it’s not going to happen. Mine even asked that people stop harassing them about it, was turning into a chillul hashem asking them to remove it.

This is what I meant about who should say it and what they should say.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 8:36 pm
amother Blue wrote:
The public library in NY prides itself on promoting banned books of all sorts. There are special weeks when banned books are promoted. So, no, they won't get rid of it because we think it should be banned.

However, libraries do keep track of book circulation. If a book doesn't get checked out very often, eventually, they'll remove it. So, since CW books are very rarely checked out nowadays, it will eventually be taken off the shelves....

And if your library has book sales, you can buy them if they end up there with other unpopular books. And then dispose of them as you wish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children