Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Extreme weight loss and aging

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:00 am
I just want to put a PSA out there for those who are doing extreme weight loss- pills, shots, lap band surgery etc

I don’t think long terms studies have been conducted but an extreme diet (naturally or with medical aids) that deprives the body of important nutrients can definitely cause long term issues as women age.

Bone fragility, skin issues etc

While it might seem amazing in the short run, we have to guard our health and prepare it for the future.

I know a wonderful woman who did extreme
dieting for years and now, as a 60 year old woman, is having major health issues due to depriving her body of basic nutrients. She looks unhealthy and can hardly walk.

While I’m not a medical practitioner or statistician, it’s really something to keep in mind before doing something drastic to your body.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:45 am
Please understand that usually the people who resort to extreme dieting protocols or weight loss surgeries are not people who have a few vanity pounds to lose but people who are struggling with a lot of weight to lose, who have tried more "normal" methods and failed, who are already at risk for health issues remaining as they are, and on top of that may be suffering from depression because of their weight. So they've weighed their risks and decided to go to extreme measures. I don't understand why you would think people are making uneducated choices about their health.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:53 am
I am not referring to women who have health challenges due to being overweight or those who were advice by a medical professional to lose weight.

I am referring to a specific category of healthy women who want to shed somewhere in the 15-40 lb range who are doing extreme weight loss because they are trying to achieve a certain image.

They lose weight and feel amazing, while depriving their bodies of necessary nutrition that it will need as they get older.

Its short term benefits vs long term lifelong irreversible repercussions

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I just want to put a PSA out there for those who are doing extreme weight loss- pills, shots, lap band surgery etc

I don’t think long terms studies have been conducted but an extreme diet (naturally or with medical aids) that deprives the body of important nutrients can definitely cause long term issues as women age.

Bone fragility, skin issues etc

While it might seem amazing in the short run, we have to guard our health and prepare it for the future.

I know a wonderful woman who did extreme
dieting for years and now, as a 60 year old woman, is having major health issues due to depriving her body of basic nutrients. She looks unhealthy and can hardly walk.

While I’m not a medical practitioner or statistician, it’s really something to keep in mind before doing something drastic to your body.

Maybe if other women weren’t so downright mean and cruel to those people who are overweight, people wouldn’t feel compelled to do extreme things to their body.

Signed someone who is 100lbs overweight according to Height/Weight charts, physically active, would never do surgery, but is extremely sympathetic to those people feeling pressure to do these extreme things to themselves.

amother
Oldlace

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 2:15 pm
Thanks for that advice
U think that I didn’t do my own research before I did my sleeve? I’m bh way healthier (and skinnier as a bonus) then I was before
I don’t think that anyone who is seriously contemplating surgery will change their mind from reading ur enlightening post
But I’m glad u felt better writing it!

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not referring to women who have health challenges due to being overweight or those who were advice by a medical professional to lose weight.

I am referring to a specific category of healthy women who want to shed somewhere in the 15-40 lb range who are doing extreme weight loss because they are trying to achieve a certain image.

They lose weight and feel amazing, while depriving their bodies of necessary nutrition that it will need as they get older.

Its short term benefits vs long term lifelong irreversible repercussions

You mentioned weight loss surgery. No doctor will allow someone who just wants to lose 15-40 lbs to do surgery.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 4:26 pm
I think she is referring to the women in my community, who used to be size 6-8, but are now a size 2, but their faces have aged 20 years.

My sister always says, when you hit 40, you get to choose face or derrière. If you are skinny your face often looks gaunt and wrinkly, but if you fill out a little, the face looks better, but the skirt doesn’t fit as well.

Of course there is always the exception (you don’t need to get defensive) and there is always Botox and fillers.

Personally, in order to protect my face, I am graciously eating ice cream

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 4:29 pm
Ice cream

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jun 24 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Emerald wrote:

My sister always says, when you hit 40, you get to choose face or derrière. If you are skinny your face often looks gaunt and wrinkly, but if you fill out a little, the face looks better, but the skirt doesn’t fit as well.

Of course there is always the exception (you don’t need to get defensive) and there is always Botox and fillers.

I was told that beyond 40 you have to decide if you want to proceed to become a goat or a cow... Wink

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Jun 24 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
I think she is referring to the women in my community, who used to be size 6-8, but are now a size 2, but their faces have aged 20 years.

Your sister is quoting Catherine Deneuve, who said that, "A 30-year-old woman must choose between her bottom and her face,” though she used a slightly less refined term for "bottom."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise