Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Looking to buy living room couch and chairs

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:30 am
We just painted and I'm so excited to finally be able replace our old living room furniture as my summer project. The problem is I have no sense about these things! I would really appreciate recommendations for a store that I can show a picture of my living room and they can help me choose, preferably in or near Brooklyn. I want good quality but at a good/ fair price, I would spend money for quality, not for the name!-our current couch was expensive, but we've had it for about twenty years! Any advice appreciated!

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 11:10 am
Accentuations by design is having their warehouse sale upstate I think either this week or next week. I’d go if I were you.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 11:27 am
Living Quarters

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:52 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Accentuations by design is having their warehouse sale upstate I think either this week or next week. I’d go if I were you.

Ty, is it worth going upstate if we're in the city? They don't also have a sale in Brooklyn?

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ty, is it worth going upstate if we're in the city? They don't also have a sale in Brooklyn?

The sale is just upstate. I’ve found it worthwhile if you’re really ready to buy. You can check the website to see the kind of stuff they have

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:33 pm
Did you find one?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:43 pm
I was just reading an article about how current furniture is no longer built to last, and your best bet for value is to reupholster either what you already have, or something good you find secondhand.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:46 pm
imasinger wrote:
I was just reading an article about how current furniture is no longer built to last, and your best bet for value is to reupholster either what you already have, or something good you find secondhand.

So true .
My couch is not even 2 years old and is ready for the trash and I paid more for it than I paid for my previous couch that lasted 11 yrs.

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:52 pm
So interesting. I happened to have furnished my entire house at Living Quarters close to 6 years ago and everything is holding up beautifully Bli Ayin hora. I’m talking loads of furniture, full bedrooms, dinette, living room and family room etc. Maybe it depends on the company manufacturer. I definitely recommend them for quality furniture. I am thrilled with all my purchases there B”H.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:03 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
So interesting. I happened to have furnished my entire house at Living Quarters close to 6 years ago and everything is holding up beautifully Bli Ayin hora. I’m talking loads of furniture, full bedrooms, dinette, living room and family room etc. Maybe it depends on which company manufactures your furniture? I definitely recommend them for quality furniture. I am thrilled with all my purchases there B”H.

Do you mind saying which couch you got?
Did the in house decorators help you?

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:09 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Do you mind saying which couch you got?
Did the in house decorators help you?

Yes, the in house decorators helped me. It was in the Lakewood branch.

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 5:17 pm
The couch in my family room is flexsteel I think. I did a very practical material. It’s a suedish feel but washable. Holding up unbelievably well B”H. And it gets used almost 24/7 literally. I did an elegant one in my living room by Bernhardt. Granted it doesn’t get used as much as the family room one. I did it in beautiful white(!) with gold accents and two matching swivel accent chairs by a diff company, forgot which one. It is washable as well! Highly recommend you check out LQ. They are beyond helpful and accommodating. I got free designer service and I furnished literally every room in my house.
I also recently did summer home/bungalow furniture by them as well. Was so reasonably priced.

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 7:03 pm
I just replaced our living room couches (14 years old) as they really needed it. I went with Costco which has excellent return policies.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 7:42 am
amother Anemone wrote:
The couch in my family room is flexsteel I think. I did a very practical material. It’s a suedish feel but washable. Holding up unbelievably well B”H. And it gets used almost 24/7 literally. I did an elegant one in my living room by Bernhardt. Granted it doesn’t get used as much as the family room one. I did it in beautiful white(!) with gold accents and two matching swivel accent chairs by a diff company, forgot which one. It is washable as well! Highly recommend you check out LQ. They are beyond helpful and accommodating. I got free designer service and I furnished literally every room in my house.
I also recently did summer home/bungalow furniture by them as well. Was so reasonably priced.

Quick question - the decorator at LQ doesn’t come to the house (at least not in Brooklyn). Were you able to choose everything using pictures of your house and pictures from the catalogue ?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 8:00 am
Before shopping for furniture, you should educate yourself on how quality furniture is constructed so that you can evaluate it and ask intelligent questions of the store.

This is an excellent guide to purchasing upholstered couches and sectionals. It rates them based on price points - I.e. lower priced; medium and high priced so that a high priced sofa would have to be significantly higher in quality than a low priced sofa for it to be a "good value"

FWIW, almost no low priced sofas are going to be good quality because of the poor quality materials that are used. The frames generally aren't hardware - aren't well constructed AND - the cushions are generally stuffed with lower cost low density foam.

The cheaper foam that is used is actually the main "failure" as it causes the cushions to sag and so the couch looks awful and feels uncomfortable after a relatively short period of time. The exact time will depend on the weight of the users and how it is used.

I suggest reading this - even if you don't take specific recommendations, it provides very good information on couches.

Also furniture has indeed become lower quality in the past 10 or 15 years for a variety of reasons. Really good quality furniture is expensive. It has to compete with cheap imports.

https://insidersguidetofurnitu.....23-2/

Monyka02

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:53 am
We recently upgraded our old sofa and armchairs, which were nearly 15 years old. We got a sofa with chaise and two armchairs from the Merced series from the What A Room store.
The price was $6500. It seems like a big investment, but it's worth it in the long run. I expect these new pieces to last at least 15 years, like my old furniture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics