Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Does pull really help to get into school

anotherone

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:28 am
Please, break me heart--tell me about pull to get a kid into school.
What does it mean to have a pull-being someone's relative, give money,etc .
Does it help to call school on behalf of friend /neighbor, or it is useless, if you are not someone to offer school any benefit (not a rich guy, not principals friend/relative, not someone meyuchas).
Is it helpful if your friends /neighbors/Rav of neighborhood will call on behalf of you to school? Is people stam calling saying good things about you helpful? I want to understand how reality works for real.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:29 am
I am a nobody but I called my school on behalf of friends and it was enough to get the school to put them on top of the pile, and they got in.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:35 am
Yes.
If you are a relative or friend of someone who already sends to that school and is in good standing ( not someone the school wishes would leave) and they call on your behalf and vouch for you, it could be very helpful.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:43 am
Yes I definitely know people who got into schools with pull. Yes, your friends/relatives/Rav/child's principal (for high school) can help.
My niece - my sister's daughter - got into same high school as my daughter even though she hadn't originally applied there. Her younger daughter got into Bais Faiga eventually - we all pulled like crazy.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:44 am
I got in without money pull. Just asked people who knew me and the principal to call her. Persistence. Stayed on top of her mind. And then when someone decided to hold back their kid we got the slot.

keym

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:45 am
It's not a guarantee.
If the school doesn't have room or it's not the right fit or they can't accommodate the child/family's needs, all the pull in the world is useless.

But say a school receives 150 applications on 1 day (for 20 slots). Pull can put a particular person higher on the interview list, and massive pull can also make the interview more memorable (my cousin was your chavrusa, remember).

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:50 am
When my sister was applying to Primary for her son, her boss - who donates to that particular school - called them and told them he would consider it a favor if they can take him. We are also distantly related to the principal, and he knew that. The interview went well, they were a good fit, and they got in right away (they were very surprised).

But it's not all about money for sure. I know schools that told wealthy "pullers" that they can keep their money. The schools don't want someone who they feel won't fit well with their hashkafa, etc...

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 10:54 am
No. I had a lot of pull with the head of one of the schools we applied to and tried having people call on our behalf. Didn’t even get a call back. Bh we got in elsewhere.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:00 am
In most schools having a few friends who send their call will definitely help. In all schools having huge pull, like being related to the principal, will help a lot.

In some schools you generally need extreme pull and often you are requested to give a large donation. I will not name names although they’re mentioned on other threads. We were personally asked to give a large donation to a boys school, we declined and focused on another school. School number two we had our rav call and a few friends who sent there. We got in and are thrilled thrilled thrilled with the school. I would personally advise not dealing with bribing your way in. I would feel terrible throughout all my time there knowing I’d paid my way in. Icky. That’s not the same as a neighbor who sends calling and saying “my neighbors the Schwartzes applied to your school and they’re really nice solid people who I think would be an asset to your school “
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries