Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Recurring strep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:32 pm
DC is having strep nonstop. Many many times.
I give the recommended doses properly. Tried 3-4 diff types.
We changed the toothbrush.

What else can I do? Obviously the antibiotics are not working.
ENT appointment is scheduled.
I probably need to take DC for a culture tomorrow. We finished meds on Thursday and was complaining about throat today. No fever bh

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:38 pm
Give probiotics daily.
Some kids always test positive culture & need their tonsils/adenoids removed.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:46 pm
It doesn't have to mean that the antibiotics aren't working. Is there strep going around in his class? He might be getting reinfected.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:52 pm
Do any other kids in your house have strep? It's common that siblings can give eachother strep, especially if one doesn't show symptoms.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:53 pm
I've heard from someone that its possible to be a carrier of strep (show no symptoms) but infect people you're in contact with.
This family took the whole family for strep cultures and found one kid that was passing strep to the rest of the family. They medicated that child (and whoever else came back positive) after that the strep stopped recurring.
Maybe ask your doc about testing other family members.
Good luck!

small bean

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:56 pm
There's an oral probiotic that you should take for 30 days.

Also ask your doctor for clyndomicen (sp?). I gave that to my son over 2 years ago and he hasn't streptococcus since. Before that he was having monthly.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:08 pm
We dealt with this recently. You need to re-test 2 days after finishing antibiotics to see if the strep actually cleared.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:52 pm
amother Pear wrote:
I've heard from someone that its possible to be a carrier of strep (show no symptoms) but infect people you're in contact with.
This family took the whole family for strep cultures and found one kid that was passing strep to the rest of the family. They medicated that child (and whoever else came back positive) after that the strep stopped recurring.
Good luck!

We had this. We tested everyone, treated the symptom-free carrier and got rid of it.
The other option is to use a low dose of antibiotic for an extra week after finishing the course.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 12:21 am
Wash his pillowcase along with changing his toothbrush

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 7:54 am
After doing all the above recommended things, dc ended up having his tonsils and adenoids removed and he still had twice strep which is referred to as clinical strep. Once more, and they're gonna give him a pencillin shot.

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 7:55 am
Is your child a mouth breather?

We treated chronic strep with olive leaf extract and oil of oregano

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 7:59 am
Pediatrician told me that sometimes strep stays in the body and it’s dead and doesn’t mean anything. But the throat culture picks up strep and doesn’t differentiate between alive and dead. When one of my kids kept on testing positive, pediatrician asked if we could do a very expensive test that will show if strep is live or dead so poor child wouldn’t have to go on unnecessary antibiotics. Sure enough strep was dead.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 8:05 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
We had this. We tested everyone, treated the symptom-free carrier and got rid of it.
The other option is to use a low dose of antibiotic for an extra week after finishing the course.

We also had this. In my case, it was me who kept getting strep. I took all my kids to the doctor for throat cultures, and Slurpee‘s afterwards as a reward.
One kid turned up positive with no symptoms at all. It took two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it for him. Problem solved.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:20 am
amother Pear wrote:
Good luck!

No, we don't have a large family. dh had twice this winter which is a lot for an adult and both times infected dc but still.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:21 am
small bean wrote:
There's an oral probiotic that you should take for 30 days.

Also ask your doctor for clyndomicen (sp?). I gave that to my son over 2 years ago and he hasn't streptococcus since. Before that he was having monthly.

We did clindamycin as one of the doses here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:22 am
amother Carnation wrote:
We dealt with this recently. You need to re-test 2 days after finishing antibiotics to see if the strep actually cleared.

Yes, and it keeps coming back positive. We were told to do a week after finishing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:22 am
amother Pink wrote:
Wash his pillowcase along with changing his toothbrush

I changed linen this morning, but its probably too late. I probably needed to do this while still on meds.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:23 am
amother Peony wrote:
Is your child a mouth breather?

We treated chronic strep with olive leaf extract and oil of oregano

Yes, mouth breather.

Has anyone else tried this remedy? should I purchase this in a health food store?
How much to give?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:24 am
amother Oak wrote:
Pediatrician told me that sometimes strep stays in the body and it’s dead and doesn’t mean anything. But the throat culture picks up strep and doesn’t differentiate between alive and dead. When one of my kids kept on testing positive, pediatrician asked if we could do a very expensive test that will show if strep is live or dead so poor child wouldn’t have to go on unnecessary antibiotics. Sure enough strep was dead.

I am going to ask about this.

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, mouth breather.

Has anyone else tried this remedy? should I purchase this in a health food store?
How much to give?
Mouth breathing can cause continuous bacterial growth in the tonsils. Really important to address this with a myofunctional therapist and/or airway informed orthodontist.

I ordered the herbs from iherb. I used the Gaia phytocaps and gave 1 cap of each in the morning and 1 cap each in the evening.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics