Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
She won't be traumatized, right? UPDATE
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:41 pm
We're going on vacation for a week without the baby (she's 6 months old). Husband is in school so this is probably the last time we're going away for a long, long time. We're leaving her with the grandparents and I keep thinking she's going to be traumatized and feel abandoned. Can someone talk me out of this lol.

eta she is formula-only and has seen the grandparents a little more than usual lately due to simchas

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:45 pm
She won’t be but you can talk to her about it (yes even at this age)
Explain that it’s only for a few days and she’ll have so much fun at bubbys house

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:47 pm
Just to prep you, this thread will not end well.

My sibling did it for less than a week and their baby is adorable and is fine bh. I just saw them a week or so after coming back.

I wouldn't do it tho.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:48 pm
She'll be perfectly fine! This is the best age to go away before shes old enough to really miss you
Do make sure that she takes a bottle nicely if you're nursing

amother
OP

amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Just to prep you, this thread will not end well.

Why?

amother
Charcoal

Really depends how well she knows the grandparents
Does she see them very often? Is she comfortable with them? Do they ever babysit her?

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:49 pm
I did it when my baby was around that age, she was fine. I was pumping though so I was not fine lol.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Really depends how well she knows the grandparents
Does she see them very often? Is she comfortable with them? Do they ever babysit her?

She sees them often-ish (had a bunch of family simchas recently) but she takes a few minutes to warm up. I haven't left her overnight since she was a newborn and I was recovering at my parents, and even then she was just in my mom's room.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:52 pm
How is she usually when she's at grandparents?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
She sees them often-ish (had a bunch of family simchas recently) but she takes a few minutes to warm up. I haven't left her overnight since she was a newborn and I was recovering at my parents, and even then she was just in my mom's room.

Hmmm, if you won't be leaving her by someone familiar, then I personally wouldn't do it. I don't think it's fair to the child. They'll be extremely confused.
If the baby is nursing, then I think it borders on abuse to leave them behind. (🍅🍅)
Does she go to a sitter every day? If yes, maybe the sitter would have her for those few days.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:54 pm
My oldest is now a mother of 6, I left her with my parents when she was a few months old because I had to.

She was and is totally fine.

Babies who receive proper love and care often adjust more quickly than their parents to a change like this.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:56 pm
If they don't typically care for her and she doesn't know them well, then, it's really not fair to do that to baby.

Personally, I wouldn't do it at all at that age. A week is a lifetime for a 6 month old.

Eta I'm assuming baby is completely bottle-fed. Can't imagine this would even be a consideration for a nursing baby.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:59 pm
She will be perfectly fine!

My parents did it a few times when my siblings were little and we are all happy and healthy now. I know my parents love me and we're perfectly fine.

Enjoy your vacation and don't worry!!

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:00 pm
I had my 18 month grandchild for a week after DD had baby.

She was happy by me, but would get homesick when put to bed, I could tell she was thinking this is not my room. So I kept her up late so she would fall asleep right away.

When she saw her Totty come pick her up she was very happy. Maybe she thought we were her new parents.

But she was herself back home, no clinginess or unusual crying so seems to be fine.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:06 pm
I would think that one week would not be the same as close to 3 weeks, but after I took my 5 month old to Israel for a simcha, for quite a number of days after I got home, she would cry if my husband tried to take care of her. And he had been very hands on for the first 5 months.

So just expect that there is a chance something like that may happen for a day or so.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
We're going on vacation for a week without the baby (she's 6 months old). Husband is in school so this is probably the last time we're going away for a long, long time. We're leaving her with the grandparents and I keep thinking she's going to be traumatized and feel abandoned. Can someone talk me out of this lol.

eta she is formula-only and has seen the grandparents a little more than usual lately due to simchas

Yes, she might be traumatized. Can you take her with you? Wait until she is older. The long term effects aren’t worth the risk.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:11 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Yes, she might be traumatized. Can you take her with you? Wait until she is older. The long term effects aren’t worth the risk.

Are you serious?
Op, please don't listen to this.
Long term effects of a week spent with grandparents? Stop it.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:11 pm
Really not a good choice unless it’s an emergency. A baby that age can’t communicate their feelings, but you don’t know how such a long separation will impact their development.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:13 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Are you serious?

Yes, long term effects. I would only do this if it was a medical emergency.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:13 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
Are you serious?
The baby is six months old. It’s the equivalent of your husband leaving you with your parents for a month because he wants to go on vacation. How would that impact you?
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics