Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Please read below before voting. Guest no precut TP
1  2  3  4  Next

See OP
A  
 19%  [ 34 ]
B  
 80%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 171

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:48 am
What do you do when you are a guest in someone else’s home? Let’s assume the box of pre-cut is empty and you have already used the bathroom and need to wipe. Obviously you will inform you host and obtain more pre-cut for the next use. At this moment in time you can either rip TP derech shinoy or use tissues. Both are available and you need to use something.

Let’s also assume you are aware that tissues are bad for toilets and plumbing. Clearly you know nothing about their system and what it can or cannot handle. It is a private house and not an apartment building.

Do you
A) rip TP Derech shinoy, which is bidieved and not ideal on Shabbos - in OTD to not to cause your hosts possible problems and expenses.
B) use tissues, it is Shabbos and maybe their toilet will be fine, and if it isn’t, it isn’t being mechalel Shabbos.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:51 am
Other. I never use any bathroom before checking if there’s something to wipe with.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:51 am
C- use tissues and don't flush.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:53 am
I voted B, but tissues are typically okay in my area.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:55 am
amother Snowflake wrote:

You mean wipe with tissues and throw in the garbage?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:56 am
I voted b because if there are tissues, that to me is a no-brainer. Not sure where you live, but many people in many places consider using tissues on shabbos the norm, and many homes use it all week long too! If the hosts haven't specifically told you their plumbing can't handle tissues, I would assume that's what they use, and if you want to be careful, it's always good to flush several times if you'll need to keep using them, and not flush a lot at once. We used to always use tissues until we moved and found out the hard expensive way that our old plumbing can't handle anything but single ply toilet paper. So now we make sure to use cut tp for shabbos, and to awkwardly tell everyone not to flush any tissues or anything else down the toilet..

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:02 pm
A. This is what the bedieved situation is. No cut tp. Just ask if there's any more pre-cut in the house. Sometimes there's extra somewhere else in the house, or they may tell you tissues are fine.

If you're worried about halacha, think about the halachas involved with causing damage/financial loss from the plumbing issues you cause by flushing tissies. Or check before Shabbos or before you use the bathroom. Don't be frummer than you have to be on someone else's cheshbon.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:04 pm
I Would use tissue and throw in garbage for pee.
If the tissue is thin and cheap I would flush unless it’s an ancient house and toilet. I always use tissues no problems.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:05 pm
Use tissues and throw them in the garbage. Surely there's a garbage in the bathroom somewhere. And if there are tissues in the bathroom and no garbage receptacle, then presumably they're OK with tissues in the toilet.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:09 pm
Definitely B (but we always use tissues)

If there were tissues in the bathroom, then obviously tissues are ok to use there. If the hosts know that tissues are a no-no for their plumbing, they wouldnt keep tissues in the bathroom.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:11 pm
I voted B.
I live in Israel so we don't have an issue with tissues here (nobody uses kleenex here)
I don't expect fancy things for my hosts BUT an appropriate amount of Shabbos TP is totally expected.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:12 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Definitely B (but we always use tissues)

If there were tissues in the bathroom, then obviously tissues are ok to use there. If the hosts know that tissues are a no-no for their plumbing, they wouldnt keep tissues in the bathroom.

People blow their nose in the bathroom, use them to take off makeup. I always gave tissues there. Also - there is always a garbage can.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:16 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:

Sorry, WHAT? Surprised

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:19 pm
We use tissues only even during the week. Not the soft Kleenex kind . We use the recycled type such as Alpine, Bingo’s Blue shine brand etc.
Toilet paper was something I didn’t grow up with and I stopped using myself for the same reason. Toddlers and little ones would unroll the entire roll and flush it all at once causing more of a toilet mess then using tissues .
So we never have to tear toilet paper .

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:20 pm
I would use the tissues. But, fyi, the ideal way to use non-cut tp on Shabbos is to unroll a bit of tp (keeping it still connected to the roll), wipe, then let the part you wiped on dangle into the toilet. When you flush, it rips off by the motion of the water.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:30 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Sorry, WHAT? Surprised

Yes I meant use the garbage can instead of flushing

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:50 pm
So I am understanding that it is better to possibly do harm to someone else’s bathroom and cause them financial loss than to do something bideved.
So interesting

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I am understanding that it is better to possibly do harm to someone else’s bathroom and cause them financial loss than to do something bideved.
So interesting

What did you ask this question for anyway? Seems like you had some agenda here.

This is nothing to do with financial loss or bedieveds. Most toilets can handle a one-off flush off tissues, so if one is caught unaware then they would use that option if no cut toilet paper is available.

Also, if this is all my host provided, I would assume that this is what is expected to use. Many people just use tissues on Shabbos.

If yours can't even cope with a one-off instance of this, either make sure to always have ample cut toilet paper available or hang up a notice to that affect.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
So interesting

Unless the host warned you their system doesn't handle tissues, its safe to assume the standard applies. Most houses handle tissues, many use exclusively tissues. We aren't talking puffs plus, just standard store brand basic ones.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:58 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Unless the host warned you their system doesn't handle tissues, its safe to assume the standard applies. Most houses handle tissues, many use exclusively tissues. We aren't talking puffs plus, just standard store brand basic ones.

And what if they are the Kleenex or the Kleenex 3 ply?
Do we assume if you can afford fancy tissues you don’t have plumbing issues and if you do you can afford to fix it?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note