Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Left work place & several items are "missing"

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 1:48 pm
I worked many years at a private (not Jewish) school. I had my materials in a locked cabinet in which many other therapists had the same type of cabinet with the identical key. My coworkers packed up my possessions for me because I was unable to do it. Several items are "missing," including pieces to a certain favorite vintage toy which is very expensive to replace on ebay. I notified my supervisor and only one item was returned. I asked her to email the entire school and she did. I believe the whoever took my items will not return them. I have 2 bags of miscellaneous items that belong to the school that were accidentally packed with me stuff and one expensive therapy item (ARV $50). I plan on returning theses bags to the school. But, can I say to the supervisor that since my items are missing, in exchange for them, can I keep this therapy item? Or, help me be okay with my items being stolen. all my items have my name on them.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 1:51 pm
2 wrongs don't make 1 right. You don't get to steal because someone maybe stole from you. Please don't make a chilul hashem & return the items.
Maybe your missing items got lost? You can't know.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 1:51 pm
No, you can’t. It’s not her fault that something of yours is missing.
That sucks though Sad

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 1:54 pm
You can be angry about your things being stolen. They were your things and no one else had a right to take them.

That doesn't mean you're entitled to the school's things though.

It should be a kapparah.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:40 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
2 wrongs don't make 1 right. You don't get to steal because someone maybe stole from you. Please don't make a chilul hashem & return the items.
Maybe your missing items got lost? You can't know.

I asked if in exchange for them due to the cost.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 13 2023, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:43 pm
Why were you unable to pack up your own things, was it due to the school or your preference?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:55 pm
Alexandra1 wrote:

It's still stealing. And a big chilul hashem.
It's not the supervisors fault that you lost something. You did not go pack up your stuff, it's very possible that it got lost while being packed up.

NechaMom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 3:00 pm
Alexandra1 wrote:

You can ask if they can reimburse you for the missing items although I don’t think they are responsible for them. Maybe they have a lost and found or you can contact the one who packed up for you. Seems like she mixed up stuff since you also got stuff that don’t belong to you. Personally, I’d skip it and just take the loss.

SunnyDayz

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 6:08 pm
OP your reply isn't anonymous (if you want to change that)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette