Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Highland Park Edison

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:08 pm
I’m thinking about moving from Kew Gardens Hills to HP/Edison. Has anyone made that move? Are they similar? If you have family in 5T, how often do you visit? Is it hard?

Also, how is the boys mesivta? Do they learn any secular studies? How is shaarei tziyon for boys and girls?

Most importantly, if you live there, what don’t you like? (Everyone loves to tell me what they love.)

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:26 pm
We actually did that exact move 2 years ago. Our kids are young so I can't tell you about any schools beyond preschool, but we're very happy here. The big lack here is special Ed options. Any specific questions I can help you with?

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:41 pm
The lack of solid special education and higher tuition, less kosher available/restaurants/expensive kosher/judaica store both of the schools don't give tuition breaks as easily like a larger 5 towns communities with a bigger donor base which can handle giving breaks something to consider if that's what you're used to.

We chose west hempstead we're really happy.

Bergenfield and Passaic are well established communities too.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:44 pm
Also moved from kgh to here. Shaarei tzion is seperste. More on the yeshivish end. I don't know much about the boys secular studies but I know they have a secular studies department in shaarei tzion boys. If you need special ed options it will be challenging.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:45 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
We actually did that exact move 2 years ago. Our kids are young so I can't tell you about any schools beyond preschool, but we're very happy here. The big lack here is special Ed options. Any specific questions I can help you with?

Does the community have a similar feel to queens? How was it adjusting to “out of town” life? What do you miss from queens? Which preschool are your kids in?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:45 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
The lack of solid special education and higher tuition, less kosher available/restaurants/expensive kosher/judaica store both of the schools don't give tuition breaks as easily like a larger 5 towns communities with a bigger donor base, similar to the 5 towns which can handle giving breaks something to consider if that's what you're used to.

I honestly agree with this. If you really want nj northern jersey has more options.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
The lack of solid special education and higher tuition, less kosher available/restaurants/expensive kosher/judaica store both of the schools don't give tuition breaks as easily like a larger 5 towns communities with a bigger donor base, similar to the 5 towns which can handle giving breaks something to consider if that's what you're used to.

Are HP/Edison and west Hempstead similar? Where would you have sent kids in HP? What is tuition there?

I didn’t think about the tuition breaks and big donors. That is a good point.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Also moved from kgh to here. Shaarei tzion is seperste. More on the yeshivish end. I don't know much about the boys secular studies but I know they have a secular studies department in shaarei tzion boys. If you need special ed options it will be challenging.

Where do you send your kids?

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does the community have a similar feel to queens? How was it adjusting to “out of town” life? What do you miss from queens? Which preschool are your kids in?

I love that it's a bit more of a diverse community. No one is looking at my funny for running errands in a tichel. We are makpid on cholov yisroel which is a bit trickier here, and if you want more than the basics, takes some planning- we go down to Lakewood or to Passaic or Monsey every month or two to stock up. My kids are in preschool at RPRY which is the more modern school. We're really happy with the preschool there and quite a few families switch to yst after preschool.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 7:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are HP/Edison and west Hempstead similar? Where would you have sent kids in HP? What is tuition there?

I didn’t think about the tuition breaks and big donors. That is a good point.

Yes pretty similar if you're used to kgh they're all diverse places
Shaarei tzion

We have more options in west hempstead schools in both Queens and the 5towns schools giving breaks ppl warned us when visiting edison very expensive... if NJ either north NJ, Passaic or Bergenfield or even some go to lakewood it's becoming more diverse too

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:16 pm
We also looked into edison but it was too far from all of our family in cedarhurst, so we ended up buying in queens. we came to the conclusion that houses are expensive everywhere, so we waited a few extra years to save more and went for it. we love the queens community and my kids have a bunch of friends. we wonder sometimes whether we would have liked edison but when we can access cedarhurst as frequently as we need, we don't look back. there are people that claim the edison community becomes your family, and they may make some close friends, but there's nothing like your actual family and we couldn't opt in to be so far, especially with my working parents who couldn't just pick up and come aa lot like they did in queens.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 4:09 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
We also looked into edison but it was too far from all of our family in cedarhurst, so we ended up buying in queens. we came to the conclusion that houses are expensive everywhere, so we waited a few extra years to save more and went for it. we love the queens community and my kids have a bunch of friends. we wonder sometimes whether we would have liked edison but when we can access cedarhurst as frequently as we need, we don't look back. there are people that claim the edison community becomes your family, and they may make some close friends, but there's nothing like your actual family and we couldn't opt in to be so far, especially with my working parents who couldn't just pick up and come aa lot like they did in queens.

How did you deal with the small houses in KGH versus having some more space in Edison?

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 8:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
How did you deal with the small houses in KGH versus having some more space in Edison?

The house we were looking into was slowly becoming surrounded by young people moving into the community who aren’t the average Edison hashkafa so we figured we were better off with less space and be surrounded by good friends for my kids.

The other person posted about west Hempstead it might be a good choice for you if you want the hashkafa and the space. Have you looked into it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating