Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Help my daughter's matted, knotty, curly hair

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:01 pm
My daughter has beautiful curly hair.

BUT

we haven't cut it yet, so it's fine baby hair.

It curls and knots and gets matted like a birds nest every morning.

I come it when wet, but it hurts her, so she only lets me do it while watching a screen.

I do it once a week, because it takes me a full hour to get all the kinks out.

The kinks and knots are sticky/tacky - what is that from? Is it shampoo? Dirt? Conditioner?

I have bought soooooo many products already: combs, brushes, leave-in conditioner, etc.

What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone help?

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:43 pm
get it cut. wash as little as possible with sulfite free shampoo. condition often. get her a silk bonnet or pillowcase. try to comb it more often, it will take less time if you do it more frequently. curly hair in kids is really hard

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:49 pm
When it gets too knotted, out come the scissors. I cut out the knot. It’s so much less painful for her than my detangling.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:57 pm
More frequent bathing will help, because it will prevent her hair from getting so knotty.
So try every night or every other night to-
Shampoo her hair, wash out
Put regular conditioner in her hair, and comb it with conditioner in while she's sitting in the bath, wash out.
Get her hair cut to shoulder length so less knot opportunities.
Try to keep it in a hairstyle so it doesn't get sticky foods and drinks in it. Like a headband or a tight ponytail keeping hair away from her face.

Again, it will be painful the first few times to comb, but if you do it nightly, it won't get nearly that bad.

Speaking from experience!!

abound

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:31 pm
Read up on how to take care of curly hair.

Curly hair only gets combed/ brushed in the shower. There are special brushes for curly hair....check amazon.

There are products to buy to put in her hair. if you bathe her at night, then get a huge spray bottle. Fill it with water and wet her hair every morning. Then you put in a little (not too much) product. You bunch her hair together when you put in the product.

only brush the top of her hair when you put it into a band/ ponyholder etc

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:31 pm
Dd also has curly hair and I use this brush. It helps comb out the knots painlessly

Crave Naturals Glide Thru... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015.....ss_tl

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 1:35 am
Read the book curly girl.

Wash her hair with conditioner, rinse and then reapply lightly to comb out and then leave in.

This is a reason why people with exceptionally curly hair wear braids. I understand that sleeping in a silk cap can help also.

I’m not sure once a week is a great plan, because dreadlocks/Mats but definitely only comb when wet and conditioner is lightly applied.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 3:22 am
Use good quality 2in1 shampoo/ conditioner or separate conditioner. When wet after bath use a “wet brush”. It’s miraculous for curly hair. Wash at least every other night or you will have permanent knots you will have to cut off.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 4:50 am
My daughter has hair like that. I found the only way to manage it in the mornings, was brushing it after the shower, and putting it into piggy buns before she went sleep. When the hair is tied back it doesn't become so unmanageable somehow...

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 5:31 am
amother Grape wrote:
My daughter has hair like that. I found the only way to manage it in the mornings, was brushing it after the shower, and putting it into piggy buns before she went sleep. When the hair is tied back it doesn't become so unmanageable somehow...

Yes my daughter’s hair is like that too. Fine and curly and very long and gorgeous. I use a lot of conditioner, then spray with leave in conditioner, brush, and braid before sleep. I’ll also braid it before she goes swimming. It barely tangles anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers