Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Politics in Israeli hi-tech companies

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 5:59 am
Anyone else working in a super-lefty Israeli hi-tech company? Our company already gave 4 free vacation days to anyone who wanted to join the protests on specific days. If you didn't join, you had to work.

I really don't want to discuss politics at work since I'm outnumbered and will always feel like I have to defend the chareidim and the right-wing, and honestly it doesn't interest me that much. But my manager keeps making random comments about how terrible things are now because there is no leadership in the government, etc. We were talking about a specific work-related budgeting issue and she took the opportunity to say that because of what's going on in the government investors will be scared off for 6 months at least - the implication being that all hi-tech will suffer and budgets will be affected. I personally think that hi-tech lefties scared off the investors by making a big hullabaloo about something that's not such a big deal, but I'm really not interested in discussing it at all.

She also has chareidi family members (nieces and nephews that live in Israel) and she's told me that there is tension between the religious and non-religious members of her family.

I've been keeping an eye on LinkedIn for a different job in a different company, but unfortunately it seems like 90% of the hi-tech companies in Israel are left-leaning and not frum...

Anyone else dealing with this? Do you think I should speak to my manager about it? Beside for this issue she is a very good manager and we get along very well. I know that someone else in our group (right-wing and traditional) also doesn't like her comments but I don't think she would go ahead and say anything to our manager.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 6:01 am
Are you on imakadima? You'd probably get much better responses or more of them over there.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 6:03 am
My company is remaining neutral, but many of my friends in hi-tech here report situations similar to yours.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 6:13 am
Uch so sorry op!
I would not bring up politics to her or at work. I’d just do my job.
Good point that companies are giving employees time off to protest!!!
Could one imagine had any companies done this or more during the gush katif expulsion?! Or soldiers refusing to show up and getting applauded in the media for thst…
Double standards and beyond nothing new
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 6:16 am
Any chance you could do some remote work? Or go into business freelancing or something for yourself?
I’d have a real challenging time with this too
Hope you do find a better job fast! And that this craziness stops
Mega hugs

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:06 am
Couldn't hurt to quietly look around for another job, but this is not the best time go be looking.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:15 am
DrMom wrote:
but this is not the best time go be looking.

Really and truly, this. If you have a job, hang on to it; the market is still contracting.

DH finished a full stack course a few months ago, and he hasn't been able to break into the industry at all. Seniors are taking junior positions now, and people with little or no experience aren't being hired at all.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:38 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Are you on imakadima? You'd probably get much better responses or more of them over there.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not on Facebook.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:40 am
DrMom wrote:
My company is remaining neutral, but many of my friends in hi-tech here report situations similar to yours.

Wow, I'm impressed that there is a company out there that remained neutral.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:45 am
amother Peach wrote:
Any chance you could do some remote work? Or go into business freelancing or something for yourself?
I’d have a real challenging time with this too
Hope you do find a better job fast! And that this craziness stops
Mega hugs

Thanks for the suggestions. I've thought of finding remote work (my current job is hybrid). I have friends who work remotely for lefty companies and although they are dealing with some of the same frustrations, it's not quite the same as experiencing it in person.
Problem is that it's important for me to get out of my home. I didn't do well during Covid, stuck in my bedroom for most hours of the day and night (my workstation is in my bedroom - no room for it anywhere else).
Freelancing can't compare financially to a salaried job in Israel. I did it in the past and I don't think we could afford the pay cut right now.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:55 am
Thanks to those pointing out that in the current market I should stick with a job if I have one. B"H I'm not dealing with unemployment. I have a family member who is and it's not fun at all.

I can focus on the positive - I have a steady job that I enjoy. This is just one of the downsides to the job, I guess. For some reason it really gets under my skin, especially when she/they talk about chareidim. I actually have what to answer her/them. I was involved in kiruv for many years and I have researched some of the topics that get them worked up (like how much money chareidim get from the government - a lot less than the secular press makes it out to be). But I feel that the office is not the right place to discuss these things and it will be to my detriment. I think it's safer for me to remain neutral, especially since I'm outnumbered. But then I'm forced to listen to everyone's comments without responding...

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 7:57 am
Rappel wrote:
Really and truly, this. If you have a job, hang on to it; the market is still contracting.

DH finished a full stack course a few months ago, and he hasn't been able to break into the industry at all. Seniors are taking junior positions now, and people with little or no experience aren't being hired at all.

Yes, I agree with your assessment, I see it in my company as well. I hope that your DH finds a job soon!!

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:09 pm
Its a toxic work environment when they talk politics and we know how that goes, so I just stay quiet and let it pass. Doesnt pay to discuss religion, politics, race (think Ashkenazi/ Sefardi), complaints against the boss, personal finances or interpersonal relationships or Covid at work. Stick to family, vacation destinations, weather, sports, pareve topics and remember these arent your friends, just co workers.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:36 pm
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
Its a toxic work environment when they talk politics and we know how that goes, so I just stay quiet and let it pass. Doesnt pay to discuss religion, politics, race (think Ashkenazi/ Sefardi), complaints against the boss, personal finances or interpersonal relationships or Covid at work. Stick to family, vacation destinations, weather, sports, pareve topics and remember these arent your friends, just co workers.

Good advice, thanks.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:04 pm
Either keep quiet or try to rally the humanity of people about how the mood and productivity will be harmed by focusing on politics at work, because of how upsetting it all is these days, let's carve out a safe space from the politics here in our department, support each other, highlight the positive, boost morale overall. Focusing on negative is very counterproductive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics