Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/O did you grow up with cleaning help, do you have now poll
Previous  1  2

Did you have cleaning help growing up and do you have cleaning help now?
Yes cleaning help growing up, Yes cleaning help now  
 37%  [ 99 ]
Yes cleaning help growing up, No cleaning help now  
 23%  [ 62 ]
No cleaning help growing up, Yes cleaning help now  
 19%  [ 52 ]
No cleaning help growing up, No cleaning help now  
 18%  [ 50 ]
Other (explain below)  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 267

amother
Viola

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 8:38 pm
I grew up sometimes having and sometimes not. My mother is spotless she anyway cleans herself. Even as a kid when we did have cleaning help, she never did laundry, my mom liked doing it herself for us all. Now my mom is 58 and has a cleaning lady every thursday for a few hours for a big house. Im married a few years and have a cleaning lady every other week for $60. Some weeks ill skip it. I do my laundry at a mat since I dont have a machine so I put away the laundry myself. My cleaning lady cleans, mops, vacuums.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 9:07 pm
We had three times a week growing up for a full day each. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My parents have the same lady for the past 25 years!

I have had on and off but I got food steady help twice a week for the past year and it's amazing! She is by me full days twice a week and really gets through my house. I am not a very neat person and I don't like cleaning so it's amazing for me. When we didn't have dh did all the Cleaning....

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:37 am
I grew up with live-ins.
We had no idea how to clean and that things actually will get dirty if no one cleans them.

I got married and our first apartment was a disaster. My husband didn’t want us to have cleaning help until we had kids because he felt it is important for us to know how to clean so we shouldn’t need to rely on them.

I worked so hard to clean. I would watch videos on YouTube how to clean and then clean.
Overtime I got better at cleaning.

I only hire a cleaning lady now on occasions that I feel I am unable to do it all myself due to time restraints (before and after hosting a simcha type occasions). I don’t have my cleaning lady do any top cleaning and I don’t have her do the kids rooms because I want my kids to pick up their own toys.

My kids are pretty much ok at cleaning up after themselves and when they don’t their room will be messy and they’ll be embarrassed when people come over or they’ll loose things so eventually they’ll clean up.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:27 am
I grew up with cleaning help 1-2 days a week, and my husband grew up with a lot of help, and live ins when the times necessitated it.
We both have a very healthy outlook on money, bh neither of us have anxiety over money, even the time that we were $50k in debt, we were never anxious for a second!! That’s not to say that we didn’t do anything. We budgeted tightly, got rid of any bit of extras, and used cash only.
BUT! We never ever got rid of our cleaning help. We both believe that money is not the most important thing in life. Not by a loooong shot!
Our cleaning help is our menuchas hanefesh, it allows us to be calm and happy parents, spouses and people. It allows us to live in a place of harchavas hadaas and growth.
We have our priorities, and having a calm happy home is much much higher on the list than savings. We don’t get worried, Hashem will always send us what we need!
Currently we are going through a very very difficult medical situation that has lasted months and will continue to last for the next few months as well. We have a full time housekeeper, 9-5 every day.
It’s 100% necessary.
Yes, it may be tight, but we cut back in other areas. A clean house and a functioning household is paramount. And our kids are luckier for it, they have a happy mother and a place that is relaxed and not uptight
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry