Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
S/O "yogurt is a luxury"
1  2  3  Next

Dahlia

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 9:56 pm
I understand the precut food and prepared food, but is yogurt really considered a luxury? I have a baby at home and he barely drinks milk, but takes yogurt. Is it really a luxury. Are some of these luxuries costing us in the future in terms of health?

Dahlia

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 9:57 pm
Dahlia wrote:
I understand the precut food and prepared food, but is yogurt really considered a luxury? I have a baby at home and he barely drinks milk, but takes yogurt. Is it really a luxury. Are some of these luxuries costing us in the future in terms of health?

justforfun87

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:04 pm
You are paying for the convenience of little yogurts. People meant buy the big yogurt to save money.

Dahlia

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:07 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
You are paying for the convenience of little yogurts. People meant buy the big yogurt to save money.

Oh thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:08 pm
My parents used to make yoghurt, which they claimed was a lot cheaper. They also knew exactly what went into it.

happy7

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:30 pm
The big yogurt is NOT much cheaper…
Check the prices.
Yes, yogurt is a high ticket item.
Everyone gets to decide what is necessity and luxury for themselves, but for many people yogurt is luxurious.
In a big family, if everyone wants a yogurt and we are at $1.29+ per person, that’s $15 just on one yogurt snack.
But you are young, and you get to decide.

scintilla

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:35 pm
I was wondering the same, asked a similar question on one of the threads and didn't get an answer that satisfied me. Nutrition is important too.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:38 pm
making your own yogurt isn;t cheaper when it flops. you still have to buy a milk and a yogurt to start off. andyou ned a milky thermometer too.

estherj

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:42 pm
It depends. Dr Pragers fish sticks used to be our go to cheap option for a snack/light lunch. Now they are $15 a box and are off our list. 1.29 for the occasional yogurt is reasonable. If the kids are polishing off 30 a week that’s close to $2000 a year and that’s out of our budget.

Flip Flops

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:44 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
making your own yogurt isn;t cheaper when it flops. you still have to buy a milk and a yogurt to start off. andyou ned a milky thermometer too.

Yup, after making our own yogurt, we realized it actually isn't all that cheaper.
But you don't need a thermometer...

shani1

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 10:55 pm
I stopped buying yogurt last year when the prices went soaring.
Recently I bought one and couldn’t swallow it, it was so sweet!! I had been so used to eating them. Sugar content is 27 grams!! It’s basically giving kids candy. Yes you can buy the plain one but most kids don’t like it

hodeez

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:01 pm
We get the tub of plain Greek and I sweeten with jam. Kids love it, tastes good and they enjoy swirling it and making the yogurt pink

lucky14

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:04 pm
shani1 wrote:
Recently I bought one and couldn’t swallow it, it was so sweet!! I had been so used to eating them. Sugar content is 27 grams!! It’s basically giving kids candy. Yes you can buy the plain one but most kids don’t like it

I buy plain and mix it in with the full sugar ones. That works in my house until the kids are around 6 or 7. Then I mostly try to just buy the Greek yogurts which have less sugar (we do not keep cholov Yisroel. If I remember correctly many of the cholov Yisroel Greek yogurts have a higher sugar content.)

The big yogurts are not much cheaper than the individual size ones. Plus unless you diligently portion them out you may end up going through it even faster.

Almost all food is a luxury now. We still by yogurts but we have cut back on other things. It’s up to every family to decide which items are most important to them and work out a food budget that makes sense for their income. That’s the bottom line to all of this.

Last edited by lucky14 on Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dahlia

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:06 pm
shani1 wrote:

Yes it's crazy how sweet they are. I mix the plain with a little of the sweetened one.

Blessing1

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:33 pm
shani1 wrote:

Regular yogurt isn't healthy.
Greek yogurt is healthier but more expensive then regular yogurt.

stardream

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:44 pm
Dahlia wrote:
Oh thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

I think she meant it literally. I stopped buying yogurt, lettuce bags, and juice on a regular basis. I still will buy them occasionally but they are not something we always have in our house anymore. As others said, many yogurts have so much sugar they are not that healthy anyways. It doesn't mean that you should also stop, you need to do what works for you. I for sure buy other things that others would consider extras.

juggling

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:52 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Regular yogurt isn't healthy.
Greek yogurt is healthier but more expensive then regular yogurt.

What does that even mean, regular yogurt isn't healthy? Maybe you and I have different ideas of what's regular yogurt? Or of what's healthy? Why ever wouldn't regular yogurt be healthy?

As far as I understand Greek yogurt is just strained yogurt, why is it only healthy when it's strained?

I'm in Israel, Greek yogurt isn't much of a thing here. I buy regular yogurt, unsweetened and with probiotics. What's not healthy about it?

questionanswer

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:55 pm
scintilla wrote:
I was wondering the same, asked a similar question on one of the threads and didn't get an answer that satisfied me. Nutrition is important too.

Sugary yogurt from the store has limited nutritional value over more nutritious forms of dairy. Check the labels.

It's a delicious treat.

And wau more expensive than milk.

So yes, it's a luxury.

anonymrs

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:57 pm
How is homemade yogurt not cheaper? I buy a bottle of milk and 1 yogurt and I get the equivalent of at least 10 yogurts. It's definitely cheaper.
Truth is, I do it for health reasons. I wouldn't think a family is splurging if they're buying yogurt for their kids to eat.

questionanswer

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 11:57 pm
juggling wrote:
What does that even mean, regular yogurt isn't healthy? Maybe you and I have different ideas of what's regular yogurt? Or of what's healthy? Why ever wouldn't regular yogurt be healthy?

As far as I understand Greek yogurt is just strained yogurt, why is it only healthy when it's strained?

I'm in Israel, Greek yogurt isn't much of a thing here. I buy regular yogurt, unsweetened and with probiotics. What's not healthy about it?

Very few people are buying unsweetened yogurt. You can tell by the limited shelf space they take up.

Most people are buying what amount to creamy sugary treats wiyh some nutritional value and excusing the high cost with "health".

If you are not one of them, kol hakovod.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains