Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Trigger warning - my letter to a jewish online news site

New2Lakewood

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 5:54 pm
I sent this letter to the editor. Whether or not they choose to post it or act on it, I'm posting it here...

Dear Editor:

Jewish news sites like this one serve an important function. For many with filters or who choose to avoid certain sites for shmiras einayim purposes, this site can be their only way to obtain important news and updates relevant to them and their communities.

I have noticed however a slowly increasing lack of sensitivity towards victims and their families. Many news stories about an attack or a death are accompanied by pictures that are insensitive, and can be very traumatic to the family members of the ones who have passed away or been harmed.

Do we really need to see pictures of ZAKA members at the site doing their work? Do we need to see the foil sheets covering the bodies? Do we need to see hatzalah members working to save a life with gloves and bloodied equipment in full view, with only the patient's face hidden?

Is the concept of shmiras einayim only about saving our neshamos from seeing things that are related to the bris or tznius? Or is it something more? Is that sensitivity that a child or someone unexposed has something we should all want to have, instead of becoming callused to these images?

And if the victim were someone you knew, or chas v'shalom a close relative, how would you feel about these pictures of their final moments or the scene immediately after posted online for the frum world to see?

Please be more sensitive to the victims, their families, and the individuals who come to your site.

Thank you.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 6:56 pm
Salut Salut Salut

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 7:11 pm
I have been saying this for years.. I even called one of them and blasted them.. did they care, nope, not one bit.. then after I got my Rav involved and he got on their case they stopped for a while.. then they slowly put pictures and videos back up.. where are the outcries?? What is the point of them doing this? I don’t understand it.. it’s all hock if you ask me.. they want to try to outdo it?? For what purpose?? What are they trying to prove?? This gets my family and I so sick!!!!

frumie123

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 7:51 pm
Maybe if it bothers you so much then you should just stop looking at it and reading that news outlet?
It's hard to get them to stop doing what they're doing.

New2Lakewood

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 7:55 pm
frumie123 wrote:
Maybe if it bothers you so much then you should just stop looking at it and reading that news outlet?
It's hard to get them to stop doing what they're doing.

I can't get out of my head the idea of someone's child or grandchild looking up the story of their parent's petirah online and finding those images and being traumatized. Not looking is not enough. I have to speak up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics