Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Minimal cleaning
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:10 am
What is the minimal cleaning for a house that I can get away with?
Dh works full time and helps out alot.
Hard pregnancy and no cleaning help.
How often do floors and bathrooms need to be cleaned for house to still be functional?
Can I skip washing linen for a couple of months? Can I leave toys for a few weeks on the floor?

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:14 am
To remain functional, there is no time frame. When the floor looks grungy, use a swiffer on the offending parts. When the bathroom looks dirty, take a baby wipe to the yucky spots.

If the toys are underfoot, push them to the side.

Ideally get a basket and have the kids throw in the toys before Shabbos so you have the satisfaction of a clean room.

Linens can be left for much longer than you think. Kids won’t complain. Change if they have an accident. Change your own if you like fresh.

Throw tomatoes, but it’s true.

(And even if you do none of the above, that’s also fine. Survival is mandatory. Cleanliness is optional.)

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:16 am
We wash linens every 2 weeks because if we wait longer my husband gets an allergic reaction. Bathrooms and kitchen get a deep cleaning every 2 weeks when the cleaning lady comes. I wipe my kitchen down twice a week otherwise (generally Monday and Friday). Toys get picked up Sunday night and Friday just so the kids can find what they want to play again. Floor is swept every night or two, but washed only once every 2 weeks unless something is sticky sooner. Fridge is deep cleaned every 2-3 months (we do it together bringing the pieces outside for my husband to hose down).

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:25 am
If it works for you awesome, but if I only "cleaned " once in two weeks this place would be gross! Dows nobody drool on their pillowcase? Kods never sit on bed before having clean phs on and shoes off? Does a baby wipe get smell of urine out of the bathroom? Are spills on the floor that uncommon? Should I assume tgatif toys are being picked up only likavod shabbos you have a play room and the rest of the home has clear walking space free of toys?
I'm just trying to understand

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:29 am
amother Opal wrote:
To remain functional, there is no time frame. When the floor looks grungy, use a swiffer on the offending parts. When the bathroom looks dirty, take a baby wipe to the yucky spots.

Ideally get a basket and have the kids throw in the toys before Shabbos so you have the satisfaction of a clean room.

Linens can be left for much longer than you think. Kids won’t complain. Change if they have an accident. Change your own if you like fresh.

(And even if you do none of the above, that’s also fine. Survival is mandatory. Cleanliness is optional.)

Thank you!

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:30 am
I don’t have cleaning help
Bathrooms cleaned weekly even though they need a wipe down more often
House vacuumed weekly
Furniture polished 2x month
Kitchen cleaned well weekly. But cleaned lightly daily. Floors in house swept daily
Linen changed every 2-3 weeks
Laundry twice a week

House is cleaned up daily. Nothing left on floors counters table etc..

This schedule is just barely manageable

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:31 am
amother Chestnut wrote:
If it works for you awesome, but if I only "cleaned " once in two weeks this place would be gross! Dows nobody drool on their pillowcase? Kods never sit on bed before having clean phs on and shoes off? Does a baby wipe get smell of urine out of the bathroom? Are spills on the floor that uncommon? Should I assume tgatif toys are being picked up only likavod shabbos you have a play room and the rest of the home has clear walking space free of toys?

No kids complain about drool on their pillowcase. If they do, change just the pillowcase. You don’t need to also change the sheet. Yes, even if it doesn’t match.

The sheet won’t be perfectly clean. So what? Chairs aren’t perfectly clean. Couches aren’t perfectly clean. Playground equipment isn’t perfectly clean. It’s okay not to be fully sterile at all times.

A baby wipe will get out smells. Wipe around the base of the toilet, that’s where most of the smell hangs out.

And toys on the floor, even in main living areas, are not the end of the world. Yes it’s nice to wake up to a clean room but it’s not mandatory.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:32 am
To remain functional? While pregnant?
Yes you can definitely get away with not changing linens for a while. Kitchen I would be wary of leaving dirty for a long time bc the gross stuff hardens and can get flies. So wipe that down, do dishes every few days(gasp), change the linen once in a while, clean the bathroom only when it feels gross… go ahead:)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:33 am
amother Chestnut wrote:

So my place is gross. But what can I do? I am in bed alot. I put up supper and do laundry. Beyond that I can’t or I’ll fall apart.

Thats why I asked what are non negotiable for me to push myself

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:38 am
amother Almond wrote:
House vacuumed weekly
Kitchen cleaned well weekly. But cleaned lightly daily. Floors in house swept daily
Laundry twice a week

Furniture polish is on the list of minimal cleaning twice a month? I haven't polished my furniture ever.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:39 am
2x or once a month linens, fridge/freezer, organizing, new clothes and getting rid of old stuff
Weekly all floors, kitchen counters sinks stove oven, front closet, clutter, cabinets
Daily actual mess - counters, dishes, beds made, toys away in toy box, books on the side in a pile on the desk or some bills/ paper thrown out, laundry stuff like that

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:40 am
amother Almond wrote:
House vacuumed weekly
Laundry twice a week

Thats alot. I am on semi bedrest. Expecting twins. I cant do all this.
I’m a germaphobic and hashem is trying to force me to let go. I physically cant do anything but am an emotional wreck over the gross living conditions.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m a germaphobic and hashem is trying to force me to let go. I physically cant do anything but am an emotional wreck over the gross living conditions.

I’m sorry to say this but you need cleaning help. I’m on full bedrest now as well, and we got a full time housekeeper. It’s necessary. Can we afford it?? Barrrreeeely… def going to go over a few months. But that’s ok. Moneys not the most important thing in the world. Hashem sent us this situation and this is what is needed

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

Under these circumstances you need a cleaning woman.

At least if someone comes in, they can do the items that are important for hygiene like toilets and counters and changing bed linens etc.

Other stuff you can let go of in terms of it relating more to mess than actual dirt.

Also I would suggest getting a steam mop for the hard surfaces like kitchen and bathroom floors as that really simplifies getting them clean because even trampled stuff comes up easily and there is nothing to rinse.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:03 pm
amother Opal wrote:

This!
The only actual minimal posted so far.
I would add sweeping eating areas every few days or when very dirty. At least once a week... (If you have issues with bugs then you'll have to do it every day)
And I hope you're using disposable dishes as much as possible.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:05 pm
Have dh sweep

Give the little ones water spray bottle and towels and let them "clean" the floor. You'd be surprised what a difference it can make.

When kids are bathing give the other ones baby wipes to wipe down counters and sink.

Bshaah Tova

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
Furniture polish is on the list of minimal cleaning twice a month? I haven't polished my furniture ever.

Then maybe my house gets more dusty then yours. Maybe you’re not effected by dust? Idk but I see the layers and layers of dust on my furniture

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:25 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:

Do you mean dusting or do you mean polishing?

Dust will accumulate relatively quickly - I know because it accumulated during the pandemic when my cleaning lady didn't come.

Polishing is a different thing entirely and many of the polishes actually are harmful to the finishes of wood furniture.

There are some old finishes that need to be waxed periodically but that would be once a year.

Modern wood furniture generally has a "finish" just like modern wood floors have a finish that don't need waxing. I know the difference because my childhood home had wood floors that needed to be waxed once a year and my father would haul out the waxer and buffer.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:30 pm
Amarante wrote:
Do you mean dusting or do you mean polishing?

Dust will accumulate relatively quickly - I know because it accumulated during the pandemic when my cleaning lady didn't come.

Polishing is a different thing entirely and many of the polishes actually are harmful to the finishes of wood furniture.

There are some old finishes that need to be waxed periodically but that would be once a year.

Modern wood furniture generally has a "finish" just like modern wood floors have a finish that don't need waxing. I know the difference because my childhood home had wood floors that needed to be waxed once a year and my father would haul out the waxer and buffer.

Yes this. I did mean dusting.

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:

Were you trying to help OP with this response?
The other responses seemed more like it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry