Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Am I supposed to feel awkward asking for my paycheck?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 3:05 pm
I need my paycheck! I don't think he does it on purpose, but my boss sometimes forgets to give me my check at the end of the week and the n he'll be all apologetic a few days later when he gives it t me.
I didn't get it this past Friday, he called me to apologize on Sunday and to tell me hes gonna give it to me today. I'm leaving in 10 minutes, hes standing next to me and didn't say anything about it. I need the money! How do I ask it from him? am I supposed to be feeling awkward?

Highstrung

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 3:09 pm
Mr X- Did you take care of my payroll check ?

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 3:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
I need my paycheck! I don't think he does it on purpose, but my boss sometimes forgets to give me my check at the end of the week and the n he'll be all apologetic a few days later when he gives it t me.
I didn't get it this past Friday, he called me to apologize on Sunday and to tell me hes gonna give it to me today. I'm leaving in 10 minutes, hes standing next to me and didn't say anything about it. I need the money! How do I ask it from him? am I supposed to be feeling awkward?

Don’t feel awkward- he knows you don’t work for free. I like the way the previous poster put it.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 3:23 pm
Of course you shouldn't feel awkward.

Stick your head in his office and say oh hi Mr Goldstein, just picking up my check.

Better yet, ask about direct deposit.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 3:23 pm
Shouldn't he be feeling awkward about not paying you on time?
I love Israel. Paying late is illegal here and can get the boss a big fine.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 3:24 pm
It’s also against Halacha. Honestly this is one of those places where you just gotta practice being assertive, it’s a good life skill.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:00 pm
No. Your boss should feel amward. Imagine people found out that he couldn’t pay on time.

Tell him that you need to get paid ontime in order not do get late fees from payments you make using direct deposit and ask him to schedule direct deposit for you.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

It is possible you are way too nice. You deserve your paycheck on time every month and if he "forgets" you are allowed to remind him. If he is Jewish he is sinning in the worst way and causing you tzaar. Do you have a contract? Does it specify a date and time? Please practice saying "Mr Z, is my salary ready?'

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:18 pm
I'm not telling best at standing up for myself and somehow the idea of asking for my check feels cheap. I feel like it's his responsibility to make sure I get it without having to ask.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:23 pm
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
It is possible you are way too nice. You deserve your paycheck on time every month and if he "forgets" you are allowed to remind him. If he is Jewish he is sinning in the worst way and causing you tzaar. Do you have a contract? Does it specify a date and time? Please practice saying "Mr Z, is my salary ready?'

It’s not good, but I don’t know that it’s sinning in the worst way. Especially if he’s the forgetful type.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:25 pm
OP, he gives you your paycheck late because he knows he’s not going to get grief from you. I promise you no man would put up with thi

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not telling best at standing up for myself and somehow the idea of asking for my check feels cheap. I feel like it's his responsibility to make sure I get it without having to ask.

If anything it makes you look confident, professional, and a woman who knows what she’s worth.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:34 pm
No
Tell him you have some payments you have to make in a timely fashion and really need it automatically on time all the time
If necessary you can say so I’ll come in your office every Friday at 10:00 if that makes it easier

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:51 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
OP, he gives you your paycheck late because he knows he’s not going to get grief from you. I promise you no man would put up with thi

Yes, I'm too embarrassed to say this under my name. I worked somewhere and never got checks in a timely manner. He owed me like 25k. My husband was furious. I even quit without having received checks owed to me.
It's also a money mindset issue. It's not feeling cheap. You deserve it.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:00 pm
I agree, he should feel embarrassed not you.
My boss frequently forgets to set up my direct deposit. (it's a very small company without an official payroll system or HR department).
One paycheck he (and I) completely forgot until the next paycheck when I realized I had not gotten paid in far too long.
I sent him an email asking him to pay my previous paycheck.
He had the chutzpa to say it is too complicated to pay so far of schedule. I had to wait for double pay 2 weeks later. Making that paycheck a month late.
Now I don't even send a new email. I just forward my old email to him and hope he is embarrassed enough to send it steadily from here on in. He still forgets occasionally by a few days.
Does that make me a bad person? I can live with it.

ETA: This is an איסור דאורייתא. My boss is a frum Jew as well.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:01 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
I agree, he should feel embarrassed not you.
My boss frequently forgets to set up my direct deposit. (it's a very small company without an official payroll system or HR department).
One paycheck he (and I) completely forgot until the next paycheck when I realized I had not gotten paid in far too long.
I sent him an email asking him to pay my previous paycheck.
He had the chutzpa to say it is too complicated to pay so far of schedule. I had to wait for double pay 2 weeks later. Making that paycheck a month late.
Now I don't even send a new email. I just forward my old email to him and hope he is embarrassed enough to send it steadily from here on in. He still forgets occasionally by a few days.
Does that make me a bad person? I can live with it.

Absolutely not. I left such a company (they also forgot to hire a cleaning lady and I had to take out the garbage and once I had to kill a bug) for a larger company that never forgets payroll and treats it’s employees respectfully.

Genius

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:02 pm
You shouldn’t feel awkward. If I’d be the boss I’d appreciate your reminder.
It’s not a man/woman issue. It’s more of a personality thing. Some people are just not good at collections.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:03 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
Yes, I'm too embarrassed to say this under my name. I worked somewhere and never got checks in a timely manner. He owed me like 25k. My husband was furious. I even quit without having received checks owed to me.
It's also a money mindset issue. It's not feeling cheap. You deserve it.

Here’s the thing: money is the reason we work. I mean if I didn’t need money, I’d be typing this from my fantasy beach house. Pay cannot be “forgotten”.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:06 pm
My friends father owns a restaurant and on Motzei Pesach there was alot going on and he forgot to pay a waiter, the waiter called up and said can I have my check? (like motzei Shabbos) he said, can I pay you Monday (when the restaurant opens)? The waiter said "I haven't eaten in 2 days, I'd really prefer that I get the money tonight"
He drove the check over right away.

ASK FOR YOUR CHECK. it's your money and there's nothing to be ashamed of.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:07 pm
Reminding him and impressing upon him the seriousness of his need to pay you on time is about self respect. He is taking advantage of you. You’re not doing work as a chessed. You’re doing work so you get paid and can use the money to care for your family.

He is being so unprofessional.

Set up direct deposit or he can set reminders on his phone to pay you but something has to change.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics