Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers? Manchester, UK version!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 8:14 pm
Who remembers alphabet zoo. The first soft play. Past the old pagoda just before whitefield. U would burn urself on the slide and have slush

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:18 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
Omg. Such a funny thread.
Who remembers quick save in cheetham hill. And horowitz book shop there. And a fruit shop called tommy barrow or something.
And that shoe shop further down in cheetham hill called - had a parrot in corner. Think tysons was the name.
And then people went further out to tommy ball.or something for cheap shoes
Cafe aviv was a milky restaurant. Wasnt open long.
And sana had a blue straight skirt once that we all (bnos ) wore for school.
And cookery baskets- some schools still use I think.
And those roads down leicester road which are full of yidden we used to race down to get to the dentist- didnt look right or left coz so scared
Bernies barbers for the men.
And is it a myth or true that the house on corner of waterpark and roston with the bridge is sinking?!!
There was a place on way back from town called rialto so we used to tell the taxis to take us past rialto to get back home.
And the loud bang of the arndale bombing.
Could go on and on!!
Hello mancs!!

Omg the sinking house πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I remember that myth.
I’m not old enough to remember the bombing but grew up hearing about how loud the bang was.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:26 am
amother Dill wrote:
Big W was the giant woolworths that opened on the opposite side of the fort. It was where B&M and Matalan then went. And now it's Lidl, and matalan is closed.
In Ancoats I remember the whole row of shops, including Toys 'r' us and mothercare. And we loved the tree lift in mothercare. All of which are now gone.

No way! I havent lived in Manchester for years, but I grew up there, I cant believe those shops are closed! I used to go there all the time...

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:28 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
Oh my this thread is so nostslgic , making me smile.

I remember gingers haha and yaffes. We used to get our cookery baskets there.

I remember Floral Art on leicestr rd.

Sweet an sour , the burger shop at the end of leicester rd, Mmm kosher delights and MH used to have a window that you could see all the baked goods from the outside...we used to stand there and ogle..

Do cookery baskets even exist anymore?! Wow this is a blast from the past, I dont think I ever enjoyed a thread as much as this one!

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:30 am
[quote="amother Sunflower"]The house that Jack built??

And before the new jewish high was up, we actually watched from our window , bashing the old blocks of flats down.

Where newbury place was it used be a very low area.
All these rundown shops on rigby st...
Waldmans was there in the middle of it.
Then they said it would be a tesco but it didnt end up...

I remember cheetham hill before the tesco, we literally watched it being built.
We used to go to a dentist in a building block right across the road.

Max Spielman was also there...
No one really went to cheetham hill then, unless the bank or iceland![/quote]

Dont agree! We went to Cheetham Hill all the time. Ethel Austin, woolworths, cottage foods! photo processing, max speilman, Boots, and our opticians were there, Goldberg and also David Hodes. I used to go to Cheetham Hill the whole time with friends, thats what we would do if we were bored!

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:33 am
jayle wrote:
This is bringing back so many memories.
Jewish high (Mrs manners, Mrs Whitiker etc...) when it was on Radcliff road, how did we get up and down that hill!!!
Anyone remember best sellers with their stickers on a roll.
Swiss cottage was just the best, nothing to compare, the crembos you've all mentioned were called snowballs, they were heaven!!
Anyone remember Feingolds when there was still service (giving away my age here) and Habers when it was next door with Rafael o"h he was such a nice guy.
Edited, was called best sellers, sorry
It was a stationary shop.

All of the above! and you cant disucss Jewish High without mentioning Mrs poyner too... oh I loved Jewish High. I was there in Rabbi Young's times...
We used to skip out of school at lunch time sometimes to buy an icepop from the petrol station near Broom lane, or an iced bun from crusty corner!
Yes I used to go to Feingolds wiht my mother every week, then go into Habers next door...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:00 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
Who remembers alphabet zoo. The first soft play. Past the old pagoda just before whitefield. U would burn urself on the slide and have slush

Yes it has a big blue slide! In fact I seem to remember everything being blue there, even the slush πŸ˜‚

Omg Tysons with the parrot! It was so much fun to go get shoes! Nowadays kids hate it.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:02 am
I showed this thread to DH and he loved it and Ofc copes cash and carry his uncles business

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:03 am
amother Aqua wrote:
Omg the sinking house πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I remember that myth.
I’m not old enough to remember the bombing but grew up hearing about how loud the bang was.

The bomb on Shabbos? In 1996 or something? I was a young girl but I remember it well, it was so loud! The house shook, the windows...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:09 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
All of the above! and you cant disucss Jewish High without mentioning Mrs poyner too... oh I loved Jewish High. I was there in Rabbi Young's times...
We used to skip out of school at lunch time sometimes to buy an icepop from the petrol station near Broom lane, or an iced bun from crusty corner!
Yes I used to go to Feingolds wiht my mother every week, then go into Habers next door...

Ohhh I remember crusty corner a bit, was that where state fayre is now?

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:25 am
Yavneh girl here! Anyone else?
Thanks to whoever reminded me of Wayne's!
Best Sellers!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:40 am
amother OP wrote:
What was in the spot that noshers is in now? I'm trying to remember but can't....anyone?

Wasn't it the chemist?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 4:20 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Wasn't it the chemist?

I guess so, I didn't use that chemist as far as I remember.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:35 am
Aaah crusty corner!!

They were so yum!!

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:37 am
Quote:
Dont agree! We went to Cheetham Hill all the time. Ethel Austin, woolworths, cottage foods! photo processing, max speilman, Boots, and our opticians were there, Goldberg and also David Hodes. I used to go to Cheetham Hill the whole time with friends, thats what we would do if we were bored!

Sorry, youre right.

I just remember it being a 'dangerous low place'. Lol

The question was in school whose allowed to go there alone...

Ahh I remember the optician
So funny I felt like we wefe in a whole nother area when we went when it was literally round the corner.
Ethel austin was great!
And so cheap.

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:52 am
amother Marigold wrote:
wondering if there are any bnos girls on here???

Hi

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 5:54 am
amother Fern wrote:
Lol! Yes! We must be similar age. Watching the mikvah being built kept us entertained through many classes LOL

Did you all know what it was..

garfield

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 6:34 am
Hello fellow mancs! I’m another Jewish high girl but had a lot of yavne friends (Broughton Jewish kid). So many memories!

Anyone else go to Jewish high when it was briefly in Irlam o’the heights?

I also got married in the new Jewish high !

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 6:49 am
OOOh I also was in Jewish High when the new mikva was built!!
I remember thinking what a waste ofmoney because I never saw it being used Very Happy
Who remembers the petrol station on bury old where they are building the new halperns?

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 6:58 am
amother Orange wrote:
OOOh I also was in Jewish High when the new mikva was built!!
I remember thinking what a waste ofmoney because I never saw it being used Very Happy
Who remembers the petrol station on bury old where they are building the new halperns?

They're building a new halperns??

Do you all live in manchester now?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating