Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shoutout to Manchester imas
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 12:39 am
How weird would it be for kids to be wearing spring sweatshirts in Manchester next week?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:09 am
What are spring sweatshirts?
Here in Manchester its not going to start warming up to the extent that you do not need a coat for another couple of months. Its really chilly right now. and of course its always 'pluchying' aka raining here in Manchester. Its because we are in the rain shadow, on the west of England.
OP, please explain what you are talking about!
signed, a fellow Manc imamother.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:15 am
here, look at this forecast. its going to be raining almost every day for the next two weeks (as usual)
Not sure exactly what you mean by spring sweatshirts, but I think all the kids will need macs. No wellies necessary probably because it doesnt look like heavy rain. But definitely dont send them out without coats! they'll get drenched.

https://weather.com/weather/te.....70352

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:17 am
There is also Manchester New Jersey… need to be more specific

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 1:22 am
amother RosePink wrote:
There is also Manchester New Jersey… need to be more specific

I highly doubt she is talking about Manchester New jersey. Isn't that quite a new Jewish community? You'd think anyone talking about a new community like that would make it very clear.
Manchester England has had a big Jewish community for over 150 years. When people talk about Manchester in the Jewish world, I think you can still assume they're talking about Manchester England with its 30-40,000+ Jews. No? (unless this is a case of daft Americans not knowing that anything outside of USA and Israel exists, lol)

s1

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 4:38 am
Spring sweatshirts are fine for next week, as long as the kids are wearing a vest and t shirt underneath and have a thick coat, hat and scarf for outside.
PS A British vest, not an American vest!

zoom

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 5:03 am
Lol

My daughter is wearing a summer dress today with a winter coat!

Nothing will happen.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 5:18 am
I'm freezing 🤷‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:38 am
s1 wrote:
Spring sweatshirts are fine for next week, as long as the kids are wearing a vest and t shirt underneath and have a thick coat, hat and scarf for outside.
PS A British vest, not an American vest!

What are you talking about? It’ll be in the mid 50s F next week I checked. That’s practically spring weather where I live. A coat yes but hat and scarf?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:40 am
I’m not concerned that they’ll freeze. More like will it be super weird fashion wise? I know in England velour is a year round thing but is it the other way around too? Especially Manchester where it never gets really freezing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:42 am
https://www.carlijnq.com/produ.....style

Something like this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:43 am
amother Cinnamon wrote:
here, look at this forecast. its going to be raining almost every day for the next two weeks (as usual)
Not sure exactly what you mean by spring sweatshirts, but I think all the kids will need macs. No wellies necessary probably because it doesnt look like heavy rain. But definitely dont send them out without coats! they'll get drenched.

https://weather.com/weather/te.....70352

By me it looks like no rain on shabbos. Will it still rain? Do I need to bring raincoats if we’ll be eating the meals a block away?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 7:56 am
Also, any recommendations for family friendly attractions? Is the Jewish museum interesting for kids?
What about steakhouses? Anything good?

Busybee5

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:05 am
If they have a thick winter coat ontop then I don't see the problem.
But it is pretty cold today. I don't know about in a few days time, just that it's definitely still winter weather here!

s1

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:26 am
The best thing about Manchester is that no-one notices or cares what other people are wearing. So you can dress your kids in anything you like.
Yes a coat with hood is necessary, even if you're only going a block away. Weather forecasts are not particularly reliable, especially for a week away. And rain can be heavy!!
Steakhouses. Er....no. There is Taam (Israeli style), Pagoda (chinese), JS (burgers, take aways), Benny Bistro (also burgers and takeaways) and Celia's (traditional), depending on what hechsherim you eat. And a bunch of pizza/ice cream/cafés.
Places to go:
Jewish museum is not fascinating for kids, unless they have a particular interest in the history of yidden in manchester.
Museum of science and industry
Manchester museum
Ordsall Hall (check opening days) (old English House, good for a couple of hours)
Manchester football museum (although tbh I've never been)
Trafford centre has mini golf and bowling and lots of shops
Ice skating in Altrincham
Plenty of soft plays, bowling alleys etc
Chill factore (indoor skiing and other snow stuff)
Anything specific you're looking for?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m not concerned that they’ll freeze. More like will it be super weird fashion wise? I know in England velour is a year round thing but is it the other way around too? Especially Manchester where it never gets really freezing.

Huh? Of course it gets freezing in Manchester.

And never heard of people in England wearing velour in the summer...

But any sweatshirts are fine.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:33 am
amother OP wrote:
What are you talking about? It’ll be in the mid 50s F next week I checked. That’s practically spring weather where I live. A coat yes but hat and scarf?

Where do you live that that's considered spring weather? Though most of the week anyway is showing a colder forecast than that + rain.

(I used to live in England and travel there often. It certainly gets COLD there. And Manchester is notorious for rainy weather.)

Busybee5

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:37 am
There's an indoor trampoline park nearby called kickair. It's expensive but good for all ages.
If you want a free indoor outing try the science museum in town, you can last a couple of hours there. How old are you kids?

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:38 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Huh? Of course it gets freezing in Manchester.

And never heard of people in England wearing velour in the summer...

But any sweatshirts are fine.

Totally agree

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 11 2024, 8:55 am
Busybee5 wrote:
If they have a thick winter coat ontop then I don't see the problem.
But it is pretty cold today. I don't know about in a few days time, just that it's definitely still winter weather here!

I think we have different definitions of pretty cold!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics