Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers - Crown Heights edition
1  2  Next

scintilla

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:43 am
I didn't grow up in Crown Heights but we used to visit a lot so I feel like I can relate to a native! I was born pre-gimmel tammuz but too young to remember much from then unfortunately (I do remember the men in 770 singing "zol shoin zein di geulah, der Rebbe zol gezunt zein").

Nosh world of blessed memory
Simone's
No one lived past Empire, maybe lefferts and north of Eastern Parkway was another planet.
Bnos Menachem opening, and then the high school
I'm sure I wasn't the only girl who went with my older brothers - Rabbi Engel's kids minyan in the basement of 770 with tickets and such good nosh. I think it's still running but he started it.
The gift shop at the JCM with all the Lubavitch names!! Not to mention the JCM itself opening
Crown condos being built

What else? I know I'm forgetting things!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:55 am
Taking the L &L Transportation bus on Sundays and paying $1 to go to Bais Rivkah on Church Ave..

scintilla

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:57 am
That reminds me, the Boro park bus...

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:35 am
scintilla wrote:
That reminds me, the Boro park bus...

And non bus and bus agin then non bus and then bus again, non bus, bus, non bus...

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:38 am
The shuk

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:38 am
Not from CH, but I do remember Nosh World!

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:43 am
The tzivos hashem shop

That really friendly guy from Haiti who worked in Nosh World.

being just a teeny bit scared to go to the laundromatte north of Eastern parkway. (now its a completely jewish block!)

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:47 am
Elzee with their Snuis fashion

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:48 am
Who remembers Chaya Dalya A"H?

scintilla

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:18 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
And non bus and bus agin then non bus and then bus again, non bus, bus, non bus...

Yes yes Can't Believe It I'm waiting for someone to try again (they did in 2020 I think).

Another thing, when Tzach lists were actually printed - maybe they still are but I haven't seen one in at least 10 years. It's still online but I've tried making corrections and it never goes through so don't know how accurate anything there is.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:08 pm
When the pizza store was across the street from where it is now

The apartment building that used to be there before the JCM (there was once a fire there on Shabbos and half the shul stood outside to watch the action)

When there was no alternate side parking on Balfour

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:21 pm
When there were no city bikes taking up half the parking on kingston... Banging head

But we all remember that, because it was up to two minutes ago Wink

scintilla

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:36 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
When there were no city bikes taking up half the parking on kingston... Banging head

But we all remember that, because it was up to two minutes ago Wink

Crying it's a plague!!

The Kretchme, anyone? Where was it, on Troy? They had a strawberry banana ice cream that was out of this world and I don't even really like strawberries or bananas...the cleanliness just added to the flavor...

GLUE

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:48 pm
I was working in a day camp a few years after the Rebitzion was nifter and every girl was Chaya Mushuka.

Can you still drive through Prospect park? I remember my mother always daving that we will get to the park before they closed it to car traffic. It made driving to Crown Heights so much easier.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 3:00 pm
Who remembers Crown Heights when it wasn't exclusively Lubavitch?

Singer's Appetizing on Kingston Avenue, that sold pickles and pickled tomatoes practically out of the barrel, sliced lox and sable for you on order, and was run by a lady with a number on her arm, who was so smiley and cheerful.

Friedman's grocery, run by little Mr. Friedman, who spoke only Yiddish, and his daughters Rivky and Sheivy. Rivky could serve you and add up your bill in her head quick as lightening.

Noble Drugs, who made his own cough syrup so we could have kosher syrup.

The Haitian (I think) dry cleaners on Kingston and Empire, who had copies of Ebony in the front of the store. The store next to it that sold curried goat (yech.)

Berkowitz's candy store, later replaced by a shoe store.

Raskin's fish store and the dairy restaurant, can't remember its name.

The toy and stationery shop on Kingston and Crown (or maybe Carroll) where we bought our school supplies and birthday party gifts.

And "Stablilization", which I never figured out what it was for but it was run out of a storefront and you went there in the evening to do arts and crafts and such stuff.

Anyone remember any of these???

scintilla

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 3:07 pm
amother Clematis wrote:

Singer's Appetizing on Kingston Avenue, that sold pickles and pickled tomatoes practically out of the barrel, sliced lox and sable for you on order, and was run by a lady with a number on her arm, who was so smiley and cheerful.

Friedman's grocery, run by little Mr. Friedman, who spoke only Yiddish, and his daughters Rivky and Sheivy. Rivky could serve you and add up your bill in her head quick as lightening.

The Haitian (I think) dry cleaners on Kingston and Empire, who had copies of Ebony in the front of the store. The store next to it that sold curried goat (yech.)

The toy and stationery shop on Kingston and Crown (or maybe Carroll) where we bought our school supplies and birthday party gifts.

And "Stablilization", which I never figured out what it was for but it was run out of a storefront and you went there in the evening to do arts and crafts and such stuff.

Definitely (and sadly) before my times but I love to hear it! Raskin's fish store is still here and going strong! And I'm pretty sure Friedman's grocery is still a grocery but I'm not sure which it is.

Kingston and Empire, if it's the same one, is still a dry cleaners now called Clean Spot and owned by Yidden!

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 3:31 pm
toy and stationary is still there (as of 6 months ago) still called the same thing.

Remember sellabration? They used to personalise chatchkes, perfect gifts for us to take back home. I think I have still have a mirror left in my parents house from there.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Clematis wrote:

Me me me!!
How I miss those days.

gr82no

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:55 pm
I remember nosh world! I remember seeing the huge line out the door one lag baomer.
I’m pretty young and not from ch but I do remember the shuk!
There used to be tons of shnorers outside 770 I think not all were Jewish.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:44 am
Nosh World closed? When?
I remember when JCM opened, hard to believe it's been almost two decades.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating