Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Why are all frum Jews Republicans?
1  2  Next

rnidich

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:15 pm
The question is a little tongue in cheek, but that's how it feels.

I grew up in a very liberal household. since becoming frum, I have chucked a lot of my past, but I'm definitely still in transition as far as my mentality. Don't get me wrong, Torah comes first. I'm just not sure what the connection is between Torah and voting Republican. It would seem to me that fiscal conservatism and social irresponsibility are not Jewish ideals. Regardless of what you believe, however, it's strange to assume that everyone around you thinks exactly as you do (we don't live in a neighborhood where everyone dresses the same or sends their kids to the same school), and therefore nasty political statements can be made with impunity about "the other guy." I was reading the Yated the other week, and they ALWAYS mentioned "Barack Hussein Obama", like that's what the national media is calling him. Hmmm...no, it's only us! My mind is NOT made up yet as to which candidate I will be voting for (go ahead, argue for your own case here), but I can be sure that come NOvember, my vote will be carefully thought out, and hopefully not biased along any "party lines."

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:27 pm
Well, I thought that too. But there are left wing MO in France (generally very rich people who like to play "close to the proletarians"... Rolling Eyes ) and even left wing frum people in Israel. I couldn't believe the last one, I even started a thread on that.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....50233

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:41 pm
I suspect there are one or two Democrats out there. Wink

mimivan

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:42 pm
In my family, the Democratic Party was practically our religion...my mother told me my father would be turning in his grave if I voted Republican...and so I haven't yet (I just haven't voted since becoming frum) until now...(sorry Dad, you are just going to have to deal)

These are some of the main reasons frum Jews often are not Democrats (at least on the national level)

1. the Democratic party supports gay rights. The gay lifestyle is contrary to Torah Values
2. The Democractic party supports full abortion rights. The Torah does not consider Abortion murder, but it is restricted to very very extreme cases.
3. The Democratic party tends to be more pro-Arab and more quick to pressure E. Y to give away land. While Bush was the first President to discuss a Palestinian State, the Democrats have been pushing for this for a very long time and pressuring the Israeli government to make concessions (although I think the Israeli government deserves the lion's share of the blame).

I think those are basically the main three issues why I can't be a Democrat anymore. I do not consider myself a Republican, because fiscally I am still a Democrat (just look at the hypocrisy over the subprime mess..corporations run amok and no one cares, and now everyone is screaming for the Fed to help and the government to take over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. These are the same people who said "get the government off our backs! Total hypocrisy!)

But on social issues and Eretz Yisroel...since I live in E.Y, this is an issue that matters much more to me than fiscal issues in the U.S....I can't really support the Democratic platform. And I have family members who work on Capitol Hill for Democrats and who have worked in the Clinton White House...still, I can't support the party anymore.

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:47 pm
I think most frum Jews vote conservative, not Republican. They aren't the same anymore. Just like the Democrats of today aren't the same as they once were.

cookielady

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:48 pm
Ppl do seem to get quite passionate about this. Once when teaching a shiur I made the mistake of saying what party im registered in and a woman shouted at me "BULL S*$T"

I was shock shock

mimivan

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:51 pm
cookielady wrote:
Ppl do seem to get quite passionate about this. Once when teaching a shiur I made the mistake of saying what party im registered in and a woman shouted at me "BULL S*$T"

I was shock shock

In the middle of a shiur? How embarrassed I'm still a registered Democrat, but it doesn't reflect my beliefs anymore, at least about E.Y.

cookielady

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 4:52 pm
It was a parsha class, it was during the Gore/Bush election times, hanging chads and all. Plus I live in FL so it was a very hot topic then.

RedRuby

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:07 pm
Clarissa, I was waiting for you...

Very Happy

ss321

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:13 pm
rnidich wrote:
It would seem to me that fiscal conservatism and social irresponsibility are not Jewish ideals.

You are right neitehr of these are "jewish ideals" but number one, I dont vote solely based on religion (although yes, like someone else mentioned- things like abortion rights definitely influence how I vote), and second of all, I dont think that the republican party is "socially irresponsible..." but thats a whole seperate issue. I decide how to vote based on what makes sense to me socially (thats where issues like abortion and health care come into play), and what makes sense to me economically. for me personally, voting republican makes more sense. Am I doing what I think is in the best interest of every single person in this country? Definitely not. Are there lots of uninusured individuals (50 million or so) who might benefit from a more liberal leader than the one who I want to win this next election? Perhaps. But I have to worry about me, my husband, my kids, my immediate family and how issues will effect us, before I think about how it will effect millions of others. Some might think thats selfish, I just think its self-perserving and honest.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:27 pm
rnidich wrote:
. It would seem to me that fiscal conservatism and social irresponsibility are not Jewish ideals.

They're not, but the U.S. isn't a Torah run state (if it was, we wouldn't get to vote at all!) I don't think it is a sound argument to say that Torah holds a, b, and c values and therefore it is the responsibility of Jews to affect politics in secular countries based on those values. In fact, it's highly counterintuitive and un-liberal to vote this way. Which is why as a Jew I may oppose certain things but as an American I can vote for them, but not do them myself. I personally do happen to vote Republican most of the time since I am a fiscal conservative and believe in a govt. hands off approach, but socially I am more of a liberal and believe in things like abortion rights and gay marriage, as I don't believe this country should be governed by any sort of religious values whatsoever. I don't think these things are conflicting.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:27 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I suspect there are one or two Democrats out there. Wink

Like me! Well, I'm a registered Democrat, but I don't always vote the party line. And I have a mixed marriage - I *gasp* married a Republican. We often cancel out each others votes.

Funny story: When I was in college, I shared a 3 bedroom apt with 5 other frum girls. Two of the girls who roomed together were very good friends with one major difference - one was a fervent Republican who joined the Young Republican Club on campus and one was a fervent Democrat who volunteered for the Gore/Lieberman campaign. The Democrat decorated her side of the room with signed pictures of democratic politicians from NY and her home state, including a picture of Hillary Clinton. The Republican roommate put up with the decor, but she couldn't stand having a picture of Hillary in the room. She constantly took it down and propped it against the toilet to show her opinion of the woman. LOL

soldat

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:44 pm
I’m writing as I’m listening to a local conservative talk show host... (A Jewish one, by the way)
I think it is primarily because of EY, you turn on the radio and hear a guy who actually agrees with us! that israel has a right to defend itself and so on. and then you listen to a little more, and hey some of what this guy is saying makes sense! and the next thing you know someone is calling Sean Hannety to say "good shabbos" during trash the lines.
ok, my family has always been conservative, here in the south even democrats tend to be conservative,

waterbottle

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:57 pm
As my mother says, "Republicans are liberals who have had children" :-p

Both of my parents are very conservative. My mother is practically a "straight down the ticket republican", and my Dad is more of a Libertarian. Most of the frum Jews I know are Republicans, but I've noted a few times where there is someone uncomfortable at a Shabbos table when we start talking politics, because they are liberal and support "Obama" (AKA the liberal lobby's front man)

Back in the day (1960s, 1970s), Jews were token Democrats, fought for civil rights, etc. etc. Those were also the times when Jews went the farthest from Yiddishkeit ever... The closer the Jews get to Yiddishkeit, the closer to traditional values, and I think it's obvious to say that Republicans embody traditional values over their rival party.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 5:59 pm
Ouch! Biting my tongue, and sometimes it hurts.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 6:03 pm
waterbottle wrote:
The closer the Jews get to Yiddishkeit, the closer to traditional values, and I think it's obvious to say that Republicans embody traditional values over their rival party.

And this is the thing I hate most about the Republican party. I am frum, always have been, and I vote Republican despite their "values"

TziporahD

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 6:14 pm
GR wrote:
I think most frum Jews vote conservative, not Republican. They aren't the same anymore.

I completely agree with you about the Republican party.

Apple pie

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 6:27 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Ouch! Biting my tongue, and sometimes it hurts.

I'm wondering how long you will hold yourself back Wink

golddigger

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 6:39 pm
Not all.

I wonder all the time they consider themselves republican but they take as many government programs as possible, make up your mind!!

girlchick

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 8:39 pm
All frum Jews are NOT Republicans. Not at all. There are many frum Jews who are Democrats and many who vote not according to the party line but for the individual candidate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics