Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers- Baltimore
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 9:51 am
Anyone else have Miss Fleishman in 5th grade? She was amazing.

Mrs Hershkowitz leading Benching- may I have. Your attention. Please!

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 11:22 am
I'm not from Baltimore but enjoy reading this thread.
Such joy and fun memories!

I would love to do a "do you remember ' but my school was super small (prob avg 12-16 girls graduating a year And we are not supposed to be on ima 😃 so would be VERY revealing based on tekufah... Most of the teachers I had in HS 20 years ago are no longer there

Happydance

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 11:24 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Who had Mrs. Herb? What did she used to say? "Sit upon your sinapon"? Is that even a word, or am I remembering wrong?

Lol
I have tried to wipe out some memories
“Sit upon your sit-upon”
Did you have her in first or fifth grade?

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 1:24 pm
Officer Maglio who was the Baltimore City policeman who liaisoned with the NWCP...and the NWCP office on the upper attic of the PH Agudah.

Does Bnos still do Beach Day? I remember it being instead of the 2nd to last day of school.

R' Zweig rolling up his suit pants and going in the water on lag b'omer trips.

Pre Bnos Yisroel was Har Sinia. We used to joke they don't wear yarmulkas inside as there is one big one on the outside.

Women's showcase of talent. It was pre the Simchas Esther plays. They had a whole mini concert (choir, dance, drama, etc) . It was a fundraiser for TI which was known as Sheeris Hapleita in those days.

Dena Blaustein and her drums!

amother
Darkblue

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 11:34 pm
Fruits candys and friends
Perns
Schmells bakery
Clothing store in Juravel basement
Sock store in Goldstein basement (before hats to hose)
Shirleys shoe store in her basement
Going downtown to sammys shoe store
Rabbi feldmans shul was a house. We had bnos upstairs
Chometz burning by glen ave fire station
Bonfire tisha bav night in Gersteins back yard with reb Moshe aharon stern

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:01 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
Officer Maglio who was the Baltimore City policeman who liaisoned with the NWCP...and the NWCP office on the upper attic of the PH Agudah.

Does Bnos still do Beach Day? I remember it being instead of the 2nd to last day of school.

R' Zweig rolling up his suit pants and going in the water on lag b'omer trips.

Pre Bnos Yisroel was Har Sinia. We used to joke they don't wear yarmulkas inside as there is one big one on the outside.

Women's showcase of talent. It was pre the Simchas Esther plays. They had a whole mini concert (choir, dance, drama, etc) . It was a fundraiser for TI which was known as Sheeris Hapleita in those days.

yes I was wondering about beach day! I remember finding it such a fun and interesting experience. There were very frum bnos leader types walking around in shorts (like regular shorts, not swim shorts which I don't think existed then.) Not for swimming, just walking around on the beach the rest of the time. Coming from my MO background I found it fascinating. Beach day was also a memorable memory because it was the impetus to teach myself to use tampons the day before! No way I was going to miss out on beach day!! Wink

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:15 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:

How about some of the songs from high school? "Carry me inspired/ever higher, let me fly/Free to soar, to leave the world behind/No chains to bind/I'll become something one of a kind/Lift me high, show me how to fly...On the wings of a mitzvah, I fly, I strive(?)/ Ever higher, ever closer, every moment comes alive/See what I can be, soaring proud, fly with me/Torah, wings that set me free..."

Anyone remember any others?

The main song I remember is "Oh bais yaakov shining so bright, in the darkness you shed forth your light.." to the tune of "v'haviyosim". So beautiful! Speaking of Miriam (Mintz) Melman, I think I remember hearing that she wrote it. Can anyone confirm that?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:18 am
Happydance wrote:
Lol
I have tried to wipe out some memories
“Sit upon your sit-upon”
Did you have her in first or fifth grade?

Neither! She was famous for that line! Also...I was sent, in fifth grade, to watch her class during lunch while the teachers had some kind of meeting and we had lunch in our classrooms. I was sent with one other girl, and the class was being really loud and bad, so the other girl shook Mrs. Herb's marble jar to make them quiet, and it broke. And we were sooooo scared lol.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:20 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Anyone else graduate in ‘04? Many of your memories posted are the same as mine. So I know some of you must have graduated around then.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Owings Mills Mall yet btw…

Me! Class of 2004!

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:31 am
amother Dahlia wrote:

Women's Showcase of talent was so much fun. I was in the choir for several years post HS.
Faige Kramer was choir head.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:52 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Neither! She was famous for that line! Also...I was sent, in fifth grade, to watch her class during lunch while the teachers had some kind of meeting and we had lunch in our classrooms. I was sent with one other girl, and the class was being really loud and bad, so the other girl shook Mrs. Herb's marble jar to make them quiet, and it broke. And we were sooooo scared lol.

Omg, you were a “monitor”!
(I don’t think that there was anything as coveted and cool as a monitor)

Wow, I forgot about monitors til now.

Lol!!!

What was the school thinking having fifth graders supervise an entire classroom??

But now that I think about it, it worked well most of the time! I
can’t imagine anyone being ok with that in this era.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 11:52 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Women's Showcase of talent was so much fun. I was in the choir for several years post HS.
Faige Kramer was choir head.

We used to go well before Mrs Kramer even got married and moved to Baltimore. I remember Margo Brilliant tap dancing.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 11:55 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Anyone from my tekufa will remember Senora Gourlay- "lift up thine eyes".
Actually, even better was: "if you don't have common sense, PRETEND." I still use that line!

I don't have such fond memories if her. She used to tell us "no rubber necking on the highway" and "some people are just too lazy to roll over and die" and "my rubber plants have more life than you". The only thing I learned is her class was to say "yo no say" (I don't know).

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Omg, you were a “monitor”!
(I don’t think that there was anything as coveted and cool as a monitor)

Wow, I forgot about monitors til now.

Lol!!!

What was the school thinking having fifth graders supervise an entire classroom??

But now that I think about it, it worked well most of the time! I
can’t imagine anyone being ok with that in this era.

In my time it was an honor only given to 6th graders. We loved being lunch monitors when there was a teacher's meeting lunchtime.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:43 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
In my time it was an honor only given to 6th graders. We loved being lunch monitors when there was a teacher's meeting lunchtime.

That must of been before the sixth grade moved out of the elementary

I’m guessing (and hoping) they have not started using forth graders for this at this point
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating