Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who Remembers Chicago
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:28 pm
I'm 40, from Chicago.
I was talking to someone and I realized how much Chicago changed in the past 25+ years.
This person didn't know what The Milk Pail was, didn't believe me when I said Bais Yaakov was located on Granville almost at Western and it wasn't called Joan Dachs yet, and didn't know who the Rabbi Belski and Mrs Bechofer were
What do you remember about Chicago in the 80s and 90s

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm 40, from Chicago.
I was talking to someone and I realized how much Chicago changed in the past 25+ years.
This person didn't know what The Milk Pail was, didn't believe me when I said Bais Yaakov was located on Granville almost at Western and it wasn't called Joan Dachs yet, and didn't know who the Rabbi Belski and Mrs Bechofer were
What do you remember about Chicago in the 80s and 90s

Grew up in the early 00s and don't remember ANY of this.
What was the Milk Pail?
Guess it was before my time Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:37 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Grew up in the early 00s and don't remember ANY of this.
What was the Milk Pail?
Guess it was before my time Smile

Wally's Milk Pail was on Devon, right over the bridge from Thillens. Before Kol Tuv, it was the only place to get Chalav Yisroel milk.

JDBY moved into the current location in '97?'98? Something like that. Around then, Sidney Glenner also dedicated the school in memory of his sister Joan Dachs. Before then, it was called Bais Yaakov and the building was on Granville 2 blocks before Western.

Rabbi Belsky and Mrs Bechofer were long time principals in Hanna Sacks

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:44 pm
I was always so scared when my mother went to the milk pail because of the Gun store next door. Always expected people to run out shooting!

I remember when Target on Howard was being built... I also remember the sculpture park/walking path on McCormick going up.

Who remembers Kosher Karey and their famous drummets? What about NY Kosher? And Marshalls Car Castle? Anyone remember the restaurant Dog on It? Wasn't there for long but we loved it.

I went to BY on Granville for a few years. I remember being in 2nd grade in the basement if the building. And their was a door leading outside from the staircase. Funny what we remember. I remember Morah Murik always wore a uniform and gave out birthday patches (that would NEVER be allowed now a days). I also remember when Arie Crown expanded and built on their whole huge wing. Now they aren't even in that building anymore.

And remember how Hanna Sacks was called the Girls school? I remember the politics when Bais Yaakov High school was first opening. Pretty sure I went to their first ever production as well.

Anyone remember when the Chicago community kollel had an arson fire and it burnt down the Mizrachi building they had just bought?
I also remember going to a levaya for a sefer Torah from FREE. Speaking of FREE, that was in their former location on California and the Devon location was a stationary store called Lyons.

I remember when half of the KINS building was rented out to a (non Jewish?) Preschool. And when the Veitzer Cheder was in the side building of Anshei Muttela. I remember the "playground" Muttela used to have with these turning carousel things. We'd play on it when we went their for kapparos. Now the Cheder is two locations later, in the former Academy!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wally's Milk Pail was on Devon, right over the bridge from Thillens. Before Kol Tuv, it was the only place to get Chalav Yisroel milk.

JDBY moved into the current location in '97?'98? Something like that. Around then, Sidney Glenner also dedicated the school in memory of his sister Joan Dachs. Before then, it was called Bais Yaakov and the building was on Granville 2 blocks before Western.

Rabbi Belsky and Mrs Bechofer were long time principals in Hanna Sacks
. JDBY moved into its current location in 94. Mrs Bechifer was only principal in HSBY for about 3 years and she was always called "interim".

And yes, I remember going to watch games at Thillens!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:49 pm
amother Denim wrote:
. JDBY moved into its current location in 94. Mrs Bechifer was only principal in HSBY for about 3 years and she was always called "interim".

And yes, I remember going to watch games at Thillens!

I graduated elementary school in '97 and moved in 7th grade.

But that arsonist. He set fire to several shuls one Friday night - the Kollel and FREE were 2 of them.

And oh boy the politics when BYHS opened.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:56 pm
Who remembers the street Devon from the 80s and 90s?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:56 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Who remembers the street Devon from the 80s and 90s?

What about it?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
What about it?

It was classy and filled with Jewish stores. Barely any of the Indian or Muslim population.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 8:58 pm
Oh my this brings back memories! That stationary store was the best! Remember the simchas beis hashoevas by free? The fish store had the best fish sandwiches ever! That chocolate store was across the street very short lived. Remember when eichenstein shul on Devon finished the building it was sooo fancy. Byhsc was so small they shared the building with a drs office. Jerusalem pizza had the best macaroni ever! That burger place by Devon and California. I still miss old orchard. Remember Mrs Lewis? Mrs reinglass and her perfume? Mrs berman? Mrs goldsmith? What does chippewa park look like now? Lerner park was always better back in the day. Is it’s you still around? Devori’s? Swimming at the j. What happened to thillens?? Haven’t been to Chicago in quite a few yrs.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:07 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
Oh my this brings back memories! That stationary store was the best! Remember the simchas beis hashoevas by free? The fish store had the best fish sandwiches ever! That chocolate store was across the street very short lived. Remember when eichenstein shul on Devon finished the building it was sooo fancy. Byhsc was so small they shared the building with a drs office. Jerusalem pizza had the best macaroni ever! That burger place by Devon and California. I still miss old orchard. Remember Mrs Lewis? Mrs reinglass and her perfume? Mrs berman? Mrs goldsmith? What does chippewa park look like now? Lerner park was always better back in the day. Is it’s you still around? Devori’s? Swimming at the j. What happened to thillens?? Haven’t been to Chicago in quite a few yrs.

So Mrs Reinglass became the English Principal in JDBY.
She retired corona-time or so
I don't know who took her place.

Mrs Wainhaus is the main Kodesh principal.

I was back recently. Chippewa Park is the same, just more run down.

I swear Kol Tuv and It's You look smaller and smaller each time I go back.
Jerusalem and Mi Tzu Yun are gone, but Tel Aviv is still there.

The library moved to the Pirchei center and Shalom isn't there anymore.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:39 pm
Anyone remember the song “Bugsy Schwartz, Bugsy Schwartz, Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and Bugsy Schwartz…Danaaaalis, Danaaaalis…Mi Tsu Yun, Biteavon”. Re: Morah Murik’s birthday patches, I love how she always said, “and a big one for next year, many happy returns” Smile

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 9:42 pm
We got our first car from Marshall’s!

I remember when FREE in its current location was newly renovated in the pink color scheme.

I went to LGHS. We were in Bnei Ruven, right next door to Hannah Sachs. We had nothing to do with each other which I didn’t think much about in those days but looking back on it was weird!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 10:41 pm
It is weird that LGHS has so little to do with the girls in HSBY. I feel like since most of the school was boarders so we didn't have an opportunity to know you from before. I was an HSBY student when LGHS was in Bnei Reuven. We sometimes went to Bnei Reuven for gym and even play practice.
Anyone in HSBY the year we brought real animals to the theater and the pregnant goat that had a baby on Shabbos. That was nuts!!

Regarding Learner park, I remember when they built that too, lol (or was it just a renovation?).

Funny you think Kol Tuv looks smaller, it's actually 3x the size, but maybe looks the same from the outside? I don't live there but I've been back a lot (though not in about 3-4 years).
I remember smelling Tel Aviv bakery every morning when going to Hanna Sacks. Was so good. And girls would go and get those large twisted bagels from Tel Aviv bakery for lunch and a small container of pizza sauce from Jerusalem to dip it into.

I remember Jerusalem's macaroni pizza was called YB, named after the girl who suggested it (not sure I should post her name). And their fried cauliflower and their spinach cheese pie were so awesome.

I remember Chicago Hebrew Bookstore and Rosenblums, both a few blocks from each other - neither on Devon anymore. And the store on the corner of Devon and Sacramento changed over so many times - a cleaners, a small grocery store, a dollar store, an ethnic urgent care...

Remember that shooting spree one Friday night, I think in the late 90s. That's was insanely scary!!

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:37 pm
How has no one mentioned Kol Touhy???

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:50 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:

OMG!!! this brings back memories! yes for Jerusalem's macaroni. you've described the teachers perfectly. here's some more that come to mind. Mrs lewis and her little glasses on a necklace. mrs berman and her milllions of stickers, and during recess putting on her lipstick after she finishes her apple. and fluffing her curly hair. mrs goldsmith and mrs gruner (was that her name) besties 7th grade english - short and tall match walking together? Mrs goldsmith reading straight from the actual test during reviews, mrs gruner and her mad minutes, and DOL (or whatever those math riddles were called, I still have the notebook!) Mrs shabbat and those fun computer classes - carmen sandiego, power point games...gym with mrs sherman! art with mrs giffin (sewing our very own biz skirts)

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:51 pm
birthday patches that always ended with a resounding 'and a big one for next year, many happy returns mwah'

Fox

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:53 pm
amother Currant wrote:
How has no one mentioned Kol Touhy???

We often went to Kol Touhy. Parking was so much easier, and if you lived in "the square,"you could send kids without crossing any major streets.

Oddly enough, I think Kol Touhy suffered because of a single employee. There was a single cashier who was really unpleasant and nasty. I knew so many people (including me) who began avoiding the place because of her. So naturally, sales went south.

When I got married in 1985, there were two shaitel machers: Rachel Ray and Yetta Abramowitz. Everyone's shaitel was big 80s hair. Oh, and all shaitels were synthetic. Around 1990, they introduced half-human hair shaitels, and that was considered a huge thing. I remember purchasing one for $400 -- completely outrageous for a shaitel at the time.

Not only did Kosher Karry have those amazing drummettes, but they had the best tuna salad I've ever tasted. I've tried every recipe that looks even similar, but I've never been able to replicate it. I think it's just the Kosher Karry taam.

zigi

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:56 pm
Yb and cheese fries. My lunch

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 11:59 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
OMG!!! this brings back memories! yes for Jerusalem's macaroni. you've described the teachers perfectly. here's some more that come to mind. Mrs lewis and her little glasses on a necklace. mrs berman and her milllions of stickers, and during recess putting on her lipstick after she finishes her apple. and fluffing her curly hair. mrs goldsmith and mrs gruner (was that her name) besties 7th grade english - short and tall match walking together? Mrs goldsmith reading straight from the actual test during reviews, mrs gruner and her mad minutes, and DOL (or whatever those math riddles were called, I still have the notebook!) Mrs shabbat and those fun computer classes - carmen sandiego, power point games...gym with mrs sherman! art with mrs giffin (sewing our very own biz skirts)

Yes!! It was Mrs Brummer not Gruner Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating