Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Have your bought/sold a second-hand shaitel?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 11:21 pm
I'm in the market for something new, but I don't wear it often, so I don't want to spend a ton of money. I have complimented two women in the neighborhood on new shaitels who both told me they got them secondhand and where.

It's just hard for me to imagine that someone is getting rid of a beautiful shaitel in good condition. Why would they? I might buy from China new, because I do want something nice that will last some time at a good price. But if there's something nice that's been used, why not?

Anyone have experience? If you sold something, was it in good condition? Why did you sell?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Aug 05 2023, 11:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm in the market for something new, but I don't wear it often, so I don't want to spend a ton of money. I have complimented two women in the neighborhood on new shaitels who both told me they got them secondhand and where.

It's just hard for me to imagine that someone is getting rid of a beautiful shaitel in good condition. Why would they? I might buy from China new, because I do want something nice that will last some time at a good price. But if there's something nice that's been used, why not?

Anyone have experience? If you sold something, was it in good condition? Why did you sell?

Same reason as people sell their gently used garments (or even never used) to a 2nd hand store.
DH didn't like it, changed their mind, they bought it at an impulse, too small/large etc. Many reasons.
What difference does it make?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:03 am
I have bought several "very gently used” sheitlach and couldn’t be happier.
I’ve come to realize that people spend money differently, even high-ticket items. While many of us analyze and re-analyze first the need, then research the actual sheitle company, need to feel the hair, etc, others just buy and if it works it works.
I personally think it’s a great way to go. Hatzlacha!

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:14 am
Bought second hand wig, and love it most !!!! I had it recut and colored, and its a perfect wig.

I had it looked at by 2 other shaitel marchers b4 I bought it to be sure it was a good piece.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:23 am
I have bought and have known many others doing this. They are washed and combed, you get great deals and perfect shape.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:29 am
Thanks for the replies! I'm getting excited about this.

s1

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:39 am
I've got 2nd hand sheitels, they are given away by people when they are no longer 'in style'

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:57 am
s1 wrote:
I've got 2nd hand sheitels, they are given away by people when they are no longer 'in style'

Or if the were cut too short for them, or not the right color, etc.

Maybe sometimes they’re sold because they keep knotting up, or don’t hold their color, etc.
Those are the ones you hope you don’t get.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:07 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Bought second hand wig, and love it most !!!! I had it recut and colored, and its a perfect wig.

I had it looked at by 2 other shaitel marchers b4 I bought it to be sure it was a good piece.
Excellent idea!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:05 am
I bought two older sheitels from the same person. They are gorgeous and in great condition. She just wanted different legnths/styles.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:15 am
Not bought but I have gotten a nice 2nd hand sheital from a gemach. It might not look new but for sure is nicer than mine which is 12 + years old and wasn’t fancy to o begin with.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:19 am
Where can I go in lakewood for a second hand sheitel?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:36 am
In Brooklyn, fortune wigs has a consignment store. Esther told me that most wigs there people cut with bangs not to their liking. I got a beautiful brand-new looking wig for about half it would cost regular! ($600, I think). Then she recut it for only $100

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:55 am
I sold my gorgeous 1 year old lightly worn wig. I wanted to get a lace top but couldn’t afford it. I sold that and then added a few $100 and bought a lace top.

The wig I sold is nicer than the wig I bought. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn’t made that into a lace top.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:07 am
I bought from red carpet wigs in the 5 towns and she was wonderful to deal with!

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:22 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
Where can I go in lakewood for a second hand sheitel?

Shaitels for less - galit azar

Chayalle

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:29 am
I recently got a brand-new 2nd-hand sheitel, literally not worn. It was cut a drop too short for the buyer, and she just didn't like it. It was too long for me, but my sheitel-macher did a great job cutting it some more, to the length that suits me.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 11:37 am
I sold mine through my shaitel macher. There was nothing wrong with it except the cut didn't suit me so I only wore it a handful of times.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:12 pm
I've bought on poshmark and ebay. been happy enough. sold too. buyers were happy.

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:25 pm
I bought a shaitel as a kallah that is too light and doesn’t fit properly so I haven’t worn it. I might adjust it instead of selling it. It was not an expensive shaitel under 2k
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels