Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you wash fruits when you buy them or everyone washes each
Previous  1  2  3  Next

When we buy fruits, we
don't wash it. Everyone washes it before eating  
 92%  [ 157 ]
wash it with water, dry it, and put it in a serving bowl ready to eat  
 2%  [ 5 ]
wash it with water and fruit/vegetable wash or unscented soap, dry it and put in serving bowl  
 2%  [ 5 ]
something else, I'll post it  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 169

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:27 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Why on earth would you wash oranges? You don't peel them?
sometimes we slice an orange into quarters so when you're cutting through, the bacteria from the peel can enter the fruit.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:46 pm
Washing it can cause it to degrade and start to go off. To keep fresh as long as possible, wash before eating.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:52 pm
Depends what. Things like apples or cucumbers that I buy in a bag I don't wash before cuz 100 people at the store aren't picking thru them. Then I rinse b4 using. But loose apples or a pineapple I wash when I get home.
Also fruits like berries and grapes I wash and then put in produce containers

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:27 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Depends what. Things like apples or cucumbers that I buy in a bag I don't wash before cuz 100 people at the store aren't picking thru them. Then I rinse b4 using. But loose apples or a pineapple I wash when I get home.
Also fruits like berries and grapes I wash and then put in produce containers
What kind of containers do you put berries and grapes in? does it keep fresh longer? Do you have a link?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:19 pm
https://www.amazon.com/stores/.....t_bln

The blueberries and grapes really last long in these. Strawberries not as long. But these are great since they stack, don't take up much room and hold a lot

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:21 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/SILIVO/page/AB845955-77B6-40B5-A3A9-EBFA92B059B8?ref_=ast_bln

The blueberries and grapes really last long in these. Strawberries not as long. But these are great since they stack, don't take up much room and hold a lot
is this the specific container? https://www.amazon.com/Contain.....psc=1

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:22 pm
Yes

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:24 pm
I wash grapes cherries strawberries right away and put on the table. Whatever is left after dinner I put in the fridge/ freezer.
Apples we wash as we go, bananas and oranges I don’t wash. For melons I cut the whole melon up and serve, also I do the same for mango. Whatever is left goes in the fridge.

missmuffetsmum

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 6:26 am
FYI, if you are eating a wet fruit, you need to wash your hands beforehand. It can get complicated halachically, AYLOR.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 7:31 am
No one washes the outside of melon, oranges or any other fruit you cut with a knife to prevent bacteria on surface from going inside?

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:51 am
amother OP wrote:
No one washes the outside of melon, oranges or any other fruit you cut with a knife to prevent bacteria on surface from going inside?

Nope. It would never occur to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:58 am
https://www.statefoodsafety.co.....20it.

This applies to all melon and probably all fruit you cut with a knife.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:59 pm
My husband eats the fruits out of the fridge without washing it because he says that growing up all the fruit was washed in his parents fridge and now I’m too lazy to wash the fruit so he said he’s just gonna eat dirt fruit if I don’t have the patience to wash it when it comes home

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:08 pm
Almost unanimous poll

rgr

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:18 pm
https://www.instagram.com/reel.....2YQ==

These ppl claim washing berries with a baking soda solution or vinegar wash help keep them lasting for longer

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

I do

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

I do, but only right before I cut it.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 6:00 am
We eat the fruit unwashed. Anon because I don't feel like publicly eating all the tomatoes thrown at me.

imaima

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:23 am
amother Silver wrote:
My husband eats the fruits out of the fridge without washing it because he says that growing up all the fruit was washed in his parents fridge and now I’m too lazy to wash the fruit so he said he’s just gonna eat dirt fruit if I don’t have the patience to wash it when it comes home

But what is his linen washing like?

imaima

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:24 am
amother Glitter wrote:
We eat the fruit unwashed. Anon because I don't feel like publicly eating all the tomatoes thrown at me.

Are you the OP of the linen thread?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics