Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What's happening with my 4 month old???

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:07 pm
He's usually so good! Over shabbos he got diarrhea, no fever or throwing up just bad diaper explosions whenever he eats. He's refusing to sleep though and is kvetchy all the time. He is teething, at least I think so based on his pushing everything into his mouth and drooling.
Is the dihrea related to teething? How can I calm him down?

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:12 pm
Diarrhea can def be a sign of teething. Try giving Tylenol before bed and see if it helps.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:11 pm
it's probably teething

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:25 pm
So should I be prepared for months of this kind of behavior? Non stop crying and no sleeping too long?

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
So should I be prepared for months of this kind of behavior? Non stop crying and no sleeping too long?

I would say after a few days check with your dr.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:28 pm
Please be extremely cautious. Babies can dehydrate very easily from frequent diarrhea.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:30 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Please be extremely cautious. Babies can dehydrate very easily from frequent diarrhea.

How do I prevent dehydration? I'm noticing that he's not having too many wet diapers.

shaqued_almond

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:30 pm
My baby dealt with this at the same age and it went away after 2 weeks. I started giving some baby cereal and water too because I live in a hot climate

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:33 pm
Teething pain should only last a few days at a time, but there are lots of teeth.

Can we do a reframe? What if you were unwell, and a loved one said you were 'usually so good' and wondered how long your inconvenient 'behavior' would last? (Please don't take this as an attack, just something to think about.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:36 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Teething pain should only last a few days at a time, but there are lots of teeth.

Can we do a reframe? What if you were unwell, and a loved one said you were 'usually so good' and wondered how long your inconvenient 'behavior' would last? (Please don't take this as an attack, just something to think about.)

I didn't call his behavior inconvenient, but I guess I hear what you're saying. I'm just so so tired and to deal with this over everything else going on is a bit much. Beside non of my other ones started teething at this age. And now I'm being told he might get dehydrated and that bottles might not be enough. Maybe see it from my point of view.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:57 pm
My baby always gets diarrhoea when she is teething and bad nappy rash along with it. It lasts a couple days…. Maybe 3 at a time. I try and make sure to give extra fluids but mostly it is not bad enough diarrhoea to dehydrate.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:59 pm
Op & BrisketBoss, you're both right, Baby in much pain, stress hormones from teething & upsetting digestion. And must be so exhausting & exasperating for Mommy.

Can you give baby pedialyte?

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:05 pm
Sleep regression is a thing when a baby is 4 months old and 6 months old (my baby is in his 6th month). Teething and a developmental leap is always a trigger.
As the poop explosions are as well something that comes with teething. Your baby is developing and he might turn over after this leap and learn new things but that takes so much energy so he is kvetchy. What I do now is soothing, baby massage, cuddling etc making him feel safe and sound. BH he is now asleep next to me.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do I prevent dehydration? I'm noticing that he's not having too many wet diapers.

Please contact your pediatrician for specific guidance for your child.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:13 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Please contact your pediatrician for specific guidance for your child.

This

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:19 pm
not enough wet diapers or things such as not really attentive etc you need to see a doctor right away shoo...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:20 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Sleep regression is a thing when a baby is 4 months old and 6 months old (my baby is in his 6th month). Teething and a developmental leap is always a trigger.
As the poop explosions are as well something that comes with teething. Your baby is developing and he might turn over after this leap and learn new things but that takes so much energy so he is kvetchy. What I do now is soothing, baby massage, cuddling etc making him feel safe and sound. BH he is now asleep next to me.

Thank you for understanding
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics