Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers- The Lower East Side?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:55 pm
Who remembers:

-Barminkos aka the little grocery store, Mrs. Barmiko used to have glass jars of candy with metal scoops. I loved the sounds it made when she scooped out the candy.

-Martin's.

-Harriet Says.

-The Seward Park that collapsed into the garage.

-The old playground in the East River park made of wood that gave the kids splinters. It had 2 metal slides- one long and one shorter.

-Magens and then Shalom Chai pizza shop.

-The pizza shop that opened on Essex Street for a short time.

-East Broadway Bakery on Grand St.

-Gus Pickles on Essex

-G and M Caterers

-The Grand Deli, and Noah's Ark

-H and M- the last Judaica store around

-Gertels Bakery

-That nut store next to Gertels- what was it called?

-Bistritsky's.

-C Town

-Tony's- the shoe maker

-The other Israeli shoe maker down Grand St. where we got our film developed.

-7-11

-Rite Aid.

At least we still have Moshe's bakery and the butcher.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:42 pm
The tenement buildings!
The pushcarts!
The trolleys!

😊Kidding

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 7:10 pm
Yep and going to Bais Yaakov under a sign that still said Esther Schonfeld High School Smile

In addition to Noah's Ark and the Grand Deli I vaguely remember what came before Grand Deli in that location though I'm blanking on what it was. Something Chinese I think? Grand Deli was the best though. So was Shalom Chai pizza. When we had food it was GOOD food.

There was also Ratners, and the building still had the Ratners sign waaay after the restaurant closed.

I remember when Bnos and Pirchei were both upstairs from Young Israel. The whole building is gone now. Bnos was later in the Edgies, which is now a super liberal artsy something, though it used to house Torah Tots preschool.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 7:52 pm
The bakery is still there on Grand and East broadway (it’s called Moishes )

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 8:26 pm
I’m not from the lower east side but I used to go visit my grandparents.

I remember going with them to the bakery on Grand Street and there used to be a kosher grocery down the block. On the other side of the bakery down a few doors after the park I remember my grandmother talking about the delicatessen.
I remember going to a few different parks from different buildings but when I took my children recently (because I had to be menachem avel someone) all the parks were locked with a key! It wasn’t like that when I was a kid.
Seward Park according to my grandmother was a very fun park so we went for a treat but it was full of non Jews and I didn’t have so much fun.
And it was hot. Boiling hot. I guess we used to go in the summer. No air conditioning in my grandparents house back then. Outside was a sauna. Why no air conditioning???
All the old people sitting outside on milk crates by the bakery. Are they still there?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 8:30 pm
[

In addition to Noah's Ark and the Grand Deli I vaguely remember what came before Grand Deli in that location though I'm blanking on what it was. Something Chinese I think? Grand Deli was the best though. So was Shalom Chai pizza. When we had food it was GOOD food.

Was someplace special before grand deli?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 8:33 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:

I remember going with them to the bakery on Grand Street and there used to be a kosher grocery down the block. On the other side of the bakery down a few doors after the park I remember my grandmother talking about the delicatessen.
I remember going to a few different parks from different buildings but when I took my children recently (because I had to be menachem avel someone) all the parks were locked with a key! It wasn’t like that when I was a kid.
Seward Park according to my grandmother was a very fun park so we went for a treat but it was full of non Jews and I didn’t have so much fun.
And it was hot. Boiling hot. I guess we used to go in the summer. No air conditioning in my grandparents house back then. Outside was a sauna. Why no air conditioning???
All the old people sitting outside on milk crates by the bakery. Are they still there?

My dad grew up there (born 1946) and I have so many memories visiting my grandmother . She lived in the Amalgamated 504 grand . I took my daughter there about 18 months ago and that was the starkest difference I noticed. No old people sitting outside.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 8:41 pm
I didn't grow up there but used to visit my grandparents there.

I liked eating in the communal sukkahs and that everyone seemed old but seemed to appreciate children being around. I don't know which store this was from but the best cheesecake I ever had was from lower east side store (Gertels?) As I recall East Broadway Bakery was actually on East Broadway not Grand Street.

(This was in the late 70s and early 80s)

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:20 pm
As a former LESer, and eternal LESer at heart, this thread makes me very happy.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who remembers:

-Barminkos aka the little grocery store, Mrs. Barmiko used to have glass jars of candy with metal scoops. I loved the sounds it made when she scooped out the candy.

-Martin's.

-Harriet Says.

-The Seward Park that collapsed into the garage.

-The old playground in the East River park made of wood that gave the kids splinters. It had 2 metal slides- one long and one shorter.

-Magens and then Shalom Chai pizza shop.

-The pizza shop that opened on Essex Street for a short time.

-East Broadway Bakery on Grand St.

-Gus Pickles on Essex

-G and M Caterers

-The Grand Deli, and Noah's Ark

-H and M- the last Judaica store around

-Gertels Bakery

-That nut store next to Gertels- what was it called?

-Bistritsky's.

-C Town

-Tony's- the shoe maker

-The other Israeli shoe maker down Grand St. where we got our film developed.

-7-11

-Rite Aid.

At least we still have Moshe's bakery and the butcher.

The nut store next to Gertels was called Kadoori

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:00 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
The bakery is still there on Grand and East broadway (it’s called Moishes )
Yes, but there used to be the East Broadway bakery on Grand Street, near Shalom Chai. That closed down a few years ago.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:02 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:

Yes, the parks are all locked now. No more milk crates outside the bakery, but some people still sit inside the store.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:02 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
[

Was someplace special before grand deli?

Wasn't that G and M?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:04 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I didn't grow up there but used to visit my grandparents there.

I liked eating in the communal sukkahs and that everyone seemed old but seemed to appreciate children being around. I don't know which store this was from but the best cheesecake I ever had was from lower east side store (Gertels?) As I recall East Broadway Bakery was actually on East Broadway not Grand Street.

(This was in the late 70s and early 80s)
The communal sukkahs are the best! And yes, the bakery was originally on E. Broadway but it moved to Grand street when I was little. Then it closed down about 10 years later or something.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:05 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
The nut store next to Gertels was called Kadoori
Right. Thanks.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 12:08 am
was born in the LES
Moved to Brooklyn when I was 1

Ratners . Al zeh ani bochiya
Shmulka Bernsteins
Sam’s knishes
Yona Shimml knish bakery
Essex st market place
Otzar Seforim 1 dollar a sefer sale

My cousin worked in the Triangle Shirt Waist factory
She decided to try Shabbos once
The day of the big fire

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:02 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
was born in the LES
Moved to Brooklyn when I was 1

Ratners . Al zeh ani bochiya
Shmulka Bernsteins
Sam’s knishes
Yona Shimml knish bakery
Essex st market place
Otzar Seforim 1 dollar a sefer sale

My cousin worked in the Triangle Shirt Waist factory
She decided to try Shabbos once
The day of the big fire

Your... cousin? How old are you that you have a cousin who was at work in 1911?
No offense just scratching my head here

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:40 am
Former LES’er here. And also eternally LES’er at heart.
Thank you OP for this thread!
I remember almost all the things you posted and also Garnet.
I can’t quite remember Barminko’s though.
I do remember Mueller’s cheese on Essex and a candy store nearby. Was that Bistritsky?

Also Wolsk’s. Although not everything was kosher.

I remember shopping for school sefarIm at H&M.

Also remember the Jewish festival? I loved that!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:43 am
My grandfather walked through the park between the buildings about 1-2 hours before it collapsed. Nissim V’niflaos! Hodu L’HaShem.

Also, wasn’t there Sam’s pizza near the F train before we had Magen on grand st?

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 5:05 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
My grandfather walked through the park between the buildings about 1-2 hours before it collapsed. Nissim V’niflaos! Hodu L’HaShem.

Also, wasn’t there Sam’s pizza near the F train before we had Magen on grand st?

So did I! There had been a speech for women after the meal Friday night. We got home and I had just gotten into bed when we heard a loud noise. I said "what was that?" but assumed it was nothing important because there are plenty of random noises in the city. Then in the morning we saw the park had collapsed.

If any of you were in bais yaakov at the time, do you remember how Michael kept some piece of his crushed car in the yard as a souvenir?!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating