Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers- The Lower East Side?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 5:42 pm
All the buildings have Shabbos elevators, but most people lived on lower floors and used the stairs.

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 6:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
All the buildings have Shabbos elevators, but most people lived on lower floors and used the stairs.

They all have Shabbos elevators now but when I was a kid they didn't. Almost nobody lived higher than 7 and even 7 was a little unusual. Most frum families were 5 or lower. The rest I guess got great exercise.

Even with Shabbos elevators most hold that it's preferable to use the stairs if you're able to. But it's certainly nice to have the backup option.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:04 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Your... cousin? How old are you that you have a cousin who was at work in 1911?
No offense just scratching my head here

Excuse me my mothers cousin, my 2nd cousin

ImmaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:38 pm
H and M brought tears to my eyes…
As a kid growing up in Queens before Kew Gardens Hills caught on, we’d trek down to Meilech for our seforim. And Judaica. I remember marvelling at how this man was undaunted about finding any Sefer in what seemed to me the library of congress crammed into a tiny store…
I remember being there with my chosson to get our wedding invitations there and, pre-Artscroll, our benchers…

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 1:50 am
OP, I bet we know each other.
I was 3 and half when Rav Moshe passed away.
It is a huge honor to me to have lived in the same neighborhood as him for those few years even if I never saw him.
Rav Dovid of course we saw and knew but I wish I had known him better/been closer.

This is such a great thread! I used to refer to the lower east side as “the little town in the big city”.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 1:10 am
Speaking of Michael a”h, remember how he risked his own health to protect us from the arsonist who set a fire in BY? He was a hero!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating