Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers kgh- Queens?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 12:13 am
amother Maple wrote:
What was the donut shop called?!

G&I bakery

G&I… legend
Remember the strings hanging from the ceiling they used to tie up boxes?
I used to stand on my tippy toes so the bakery lady would notice me and give me a free cookie.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 12:13 am
I live in kgh now! been here 2 years.
was it always very sefardi?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 12:21 am
amother Coral wrote:
I live in kgh now! been here 2 years.
was it always very sefardi?

No! It completely changed. Around 30 years ago they started trickling in. There were rarely any sefardim in kgh 40 years ago. I think originally there were a number of sefardi families in Rego park.
There also weren’t too many yeshivish type families back then until chofetz Chaim moved to kgh. Most yeshivish families lived in kew gardens some in forest hills.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 12:26 am
amother OP wrote:
No! It completely changed. Around 30 years ago they started trickling in. There were rarely any sefardim in kgh 40 years ago. I think originally there were a number of sefardi families in Rego park.
There also weren’t too many yeshivish type families back then until chofetz Chaim moved to kgh. Most yeshivish families lived in kew gardens some in forest hills.

So funny bc I wouldnt think of KGH as yeshivish at all. CC to me is a different world. But maybe just the area we live in isnt too yeshivish, we're near amazing savings. Were actually sefardi but not bucharian and my husband said all the shuls here are bucharian and he feels so different.
Is kew gardens where the keilim mikvah used to be? My car is full of stuff I havent had time to go to beit gavriel in forest hills Can't Believe It

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 2:19 am
Kosher korner
Empire kosher chicken

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:40 am
amother Coral wrote:
So funny bc I wouldnt think of KGH as yeshivish at all. CC to me is a different world. But maybe just the area we live in isnt too yeshivish, we're near amazing savings. Were actually sefardi but not bucharian and my husband said all the shuls here are bucharian and he feels so different.
Is kew gardens where the keilim mikvah used to be? My car is full of stuff I havent had time to go to beit gavriel in forest hills Can't Believe It

The KGH mikveh is currently undergoing renovations, but the keylim mikvah will reopen there once they are done. In the meantime, the Young Israel of Queens Valley recently opened a keylim mikveh - just go through the fence near the front, I haven't been yet but it should be right there.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:41 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
Burger Nosh Very Happy

Ohhh, I loved that place! The food was reasonable and the staff was really nice Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:48 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
Kosher korner
Empire kosher chicken

Where were these places and when?

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:52 am
Anyone remember these places, some newly gone, some for quite some time...

- ices store on the block of s and m pharmacy
- the movie theatre! They were reasonable and ran kid friendly stuff pretty often
- There was a bakery/bagel store/breakfast place, I think it was called Jerusalem Cafe, it was by the corner of 71st and Main, give or take. Such good french toast - yum! It later became a veggie store, and I think now it's a grocery store...
- Mendy's bakery
- G and I having a Pesach store!
- I vaguely remember there being a shoe store near Wassermans - maybe fayva?
- The number of stores lost to a fire by Main and Jewel (where Amazing Savings is now), some moved, some never came back
- there was a kosher grocery/butcher by Main and Jewel, give or take half a block. I don't recall the exact name (Main Glatt, maybe?). It was in the same stretch as Burger Nosh.
- Carlos and Gabby's

And then the stores that changed - Wassermans was so small years ago (never mind being on the other side of the street LOL)! And the library is much bigger than it used to be too.

Plus YCQ added the junior high building - though I was told by someone that he lived in KGH back when that area used to be a greenhouse!

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Where were these places and when?

amother Dandelion wrote:
Kosher korner
Empire kosher chicken

Kosher Corner I remember - it was a dairy place, I think with waiter service, at least for part of the day. Maybe the corner of 73rd and Main? I remember eating there in the 20 years ago (give or take) range.

No clue re Empire - I remember the chain, they made really good fried chicken, I know there was a location in the Rego Park/Forest Hills area, but I'm blanking on a KGH location.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:00 am
Anyone remember the pretzel place the Different Twist Cafe? It was a block over from the little playground across from Shevach, around 76th and Main, probably about 15 years ago. They've been closed for years - that location is a bank now!

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:02 am
amother OP wrote:
From the 1980’s-

Moo and brew!
King Solomon pizza
L&L grocery
The old Rabbi oelbaums shul in the back of their house
Pigeon park
Shabbos park
Story hour at the library
Bais Yaakov high school
Shevach - Dr Blau

OK, have to ask, what's the pigeon park? And where is/was it?

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:42 am
amother Valerian wrote:
Anyone remember the pretzel place the Different Twist Cafe? It was a block over from the little playground across from Shevach, around 76th and Main, probably about 15 years ago. They've been closed for years - that location is a bank now!

Weren't they only open for a short time? ~15 years ago makes sense, but I don't think they were there for more than a few years.

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:45 am
amother Coral wrote:

It depends so much on where in KGH you live... within a few blocks of CC, you'd think the entire neighborhood is yeshivish. Go closer to YCQ, totally different world. Further to near Seasons... etc...all different groups. (And depending on which "group" they may not live near each other. For CC, it's very concentrated around the yeshiva.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:04 am
amother Valerian wrote:
amother Dandelion wrote:
Kosher korner
Empire kosher chicken

Kosher Corner I remember - it was a dairy place, I think with waiter service, at least for part of the day. Maybe the corner of 73rd and Main? I remember eating there in the 20 years ago (give or take) range.

No clue re Empire - I remember the chain, they made really good fried chicken, I know there was a location in the Rego Park/Forest Hills area, but I'm blanking on a KGH location.

Oh yes! I ate at that restaurant! Forgot what it was called…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:07 am
amother Valerian wrote:
OK, have to ask, what's the pigeon park? And where is/was it?

Pigeon park was across from shevach high school.
Back in the days- it was a park with no playground equipment- just benches. People would sit on the benches and feed the birds so it attracted loads of pigeons. If you ever wanted to walk though the park all the pigeons would start flying over your head.
That’s how it got it’s name.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:08 am
amother Valerian wrote:

No idea 🤷‍♀️
I’ve been out of queens for over 20 years-

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Pigeon park was across from shevach high school.
Back in the days- it was a park with no playground equipment- just benches. People would sit on the benches and feed the birds so it attracted loads of pigeons. If you ever wanted to walk though the park all the pigeons would start flying over your head.
That’s how it got it’s name.

LOL - the park I remember, as well as how big a deal it seemed when they added the new equipment. I just never knew it was called that.

Then again, I remember the park by kissena (a couple of blocks from the Young Israel of KGH) being referred to as the froggy park Hi

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:21 am
I'm having trouble remembering what was on the corner of Main and Jewel across from where you could get the express bus into Manhattan. I feel like it changed hands many, many times.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:42 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
I'm having trouble remembering what was on the corner of Main and Jewel across from where you could get the express bus into Manhattan. I feel like it changed hands many, many times.

I know Safra was there for a while, but they eventually moved around the corner. And there were a couple of different giant murals there on a white wall over the years, but I don't recall what other stores were there.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating