Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers kgh- Queens?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:59 am
amother Valerian wrote:
I know Safra was there for a while, but they eventually moved around the corner. And there were a couple of different giant murals there on a white wall over the years, but I don't recall what other stores were there.

Yes, I remember the murals, and I remember more recently [like, this century!] a string of shawarma places.
Safra made me remember Gift World, where we would buy the latest, um, records!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:52 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Yes, I remember the murals, and I remember more recently [like, this century!] a string of shawarma places.
Safra made me remember Gift World, where we would buy the latest, um, records!

Gift worlds not there anymore??

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:01 am
for those that now dont live in KGH, where did you move to?

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:12 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
I'm having trouble remembering what was on the corner of Main and Jewel across from where you could get the express bus into Manhattan. I feel like it changed hands many, many times.

Yes that was Burger Nosh!

Gift World is still around.

Eta. You mean the other side of Jewel? Where Grill Point is? Not sure. Rose Bakery was also around there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:20 am
Does anyone remember there was a small knish store past jewel- on main- maybe across from where seasons is now?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:14 am
So funny. I also grew up in kgh 30 years ago, and moved out around 10 years ago. It was not a yeshivish place at all growing up. Bais yaakov of queens, which was the frummer school, allowed short socks and skirts that just just covered knees. I have pictures of me wearing button downs with sleeves that barely covered my elbow. It was a community school and as a whole the community wasn't yeshivish at all, more of the perfect mix of just plain frum

Things changed when chofetz chaim opened. And now the demographic is completely different. Growing up, there were maybe a handful of sephardim in my class. By high school, maybe 10. My sister who graduated 7 years after me had half her grade sefardi.
When I go back to visit now, I don't recognize anyone or anything.
It's sad, the kgh we grew up with is gone.

Oh, and I miss G and I !!

Remember baskin robbins at the corner? And the pharmacy before shalom pharmacy? Or when dougies was on the corner of main. Three dollar movie tickets.
Those were the days

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:19 am
Or... movies TMI

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
I'm having trouble remembering what was on the corner of Main and Jewel across from where you could get the express bus into Manhattan. I feel like it changed hands many, many times.

There used to be a hardware store over there too, also a wine store, though that may have come later.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone remember there was a small knish store past jewel- on main- maybe across from where seasons is now?

I remember a bagel store being on the corner of Melbourne and Main in that stretch - some of us used to refer to it as "cemetery bagels" because it was right across from the cemetery.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes!

Think it was king David’s knishes.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:12 pm
I remember Towne Variety having a keylim mikvah right at the back of the store - that was so great and so convenient. I think of it every time I go into Amazing Savings to buy something that I know I'm going to have to toyvel Tongue Out

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:13 pm
Wasn’t there also a clothing store across from the cemetery?

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:18 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Weren't they only open for a short time? ~15 years ago makes sense, but I don't think they were there for more than a few years.

That sounds right to me too. Kids loved to come in for frozen yogurt and pretzels :-)

I think there was a hardware store on the block too, as well as a card/candy store that sold kids clothes at the back of the store.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Anyone remember these places, some newly gone, some for quite some time...

- ices store on the block of s and m pharmacy
- the movie theatre! They were reasonable and ran kid friendly stuff pretty often
- There was a bakery/bagel store/breakfast place, I think it was called Jerusalem Cafe, it was by the corner of 71st and Main, give or take. Such good french toast - yum! It later became a veggie store, and I think now it's a grocery store...
- Mendy's bakery
- G and I having a Pesach store!
- I vaguely remember there being a shoe store near Wassermans - maybe fayva?
- The number of stores lost to a fire by Main and Jewel (where Amazing Savings is now), some moved, some never came back
- there was a kosher grocery/butcher by Main and Jewel, give or take half a block. I don't recall the exact name (Main Glatt, maybe?). It was in the same stretch as Burger Nosh.
- Carlos and Gabby's

And then the stores that changed - Wassermans was so small years ago (never mind being on the other side of the street LOL)! And the library is much bigger than it used to be too.

Plus YCQ added the junior high building - though I was told by someone that he lived in KGH back when that area used to be a greenhouse!

Yes the shoe store. Where eishes chayil is now. Wow, I forgot when it closed. Wish I remembered the name and who the owners were

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Coral wrote:
for those that now dont live in KGH, where did you move to?

About 10 or 15 years ago we started losing a bunch of people to New Jersey, though I've also heard Indiana (apparently there's cheap yeshivas there), Philadelphia, and of course Israel. Also some Long Island (I heard someone recently refer to West Hempstead as a subset of Kew Gardens Hills LOL )

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:32 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Bagels around the Clock
Haatzameret
Is Mauzon still there?

I think Mauzon combined with Meal Mart, though the sign only says Meal Mart What

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:33 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Yes the shoe store. Where eishes chayil is now. Wow, I forgot when it closed. Wish I remembered the name and who the owners were

Two different shoe stores. There was a Jewish one where eishes chayil is now and then there was fayva, like a Payless type of a store, next door to wassermans.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:37 pm
Anyone remember the Purim parade/street fair? I think they ended in the early 90's but they were fun while they lasted

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:57 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Anyone remember the Purim parade/street fair? I think they ended in the early 90's but they were fun while they lasted

Those were the days… I remember being fascinated that I could see Art Raymond talking into the mic on the stage. And Ira Heller.. he was popular back then.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 8:00 pm
I used to love liquidators
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating