Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Three weeks between camp and school??
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:12 am
I’m not sure where else to put this. Why are there three weeks off after camp this year? How is three weeks of unstructured time healthy? Neither me nor my husband can take off at that time. I have no place to put my older child, turning 10… all the in between camps are for young kids. How are working people managing?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:14 am
Thats nothing. Here in isrsel the school camps go till the end of july and this year ended before 9 av. Thats 5 or 6 weeks.
People make plans. Spouses take vacation time, find or put together backyard care, babysitters.
I mean, what other options are there?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:15 am
Maybe she can work as a counselor in an in between camp?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:18 am
It's funny because I remember the exact same thread title from last year.

There is basically gonna be two sides to this-
One group of people (usually those who work in schools) who will say that school is not your babysitter and it's your problem as the parent to deal with it.

The other side (usually overwhelmed parents who work full time year round to pay high tuition rates) who are frustrated that schools have zero consideration for parents and could not care less about what works for them

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:22 am
I’m more frustrated that there are no in between camps for older kids. As if 10 year olds can be left home alone all day.. I’m gladly paying thru the nose for my little kids to go to in between camps.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:26 am
Its a loose loose for everyone. The schools who host the camps want their buildings back. Also for boys who go to camps mainly staffed by rebbeim they want to take a few days off before they go back to teacher meetings and preparing for the new year. I start seeing cars in the parking lot the week before school starts so teachers are inside having meetings setting up rooms. If there is any painting, cleaning etc it has a small time frame.

If you work in a camp you only get that one week to breathe. So I see that perspective and I don't blame them.

But as a parent its really hard. My husband works from home and my kids 2-12 mostly just hang out and entertain each other. It works out okay they get along well enough and we also just have really low expectations that week.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:32 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m more frustrated that there are no in between camps for older kids. As if 10 year olds can be left home alone all day.. I’m gladly paying thru the nose for my little kids to go to in between camps.

Can 10 yo be a helper at someone's backyard in between camp? That is pretty bad that there are no options for that age.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:35 am
I had this last year. This year school starts 8/30 and we only have a week and a half which feels rushed. I complained last year, and I complain this year.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:42 am
Trying to find a place where she can help out… just a vent on behalf of all the working parents out there. This is very tough.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:

I have in inbetween camp for that age if you’re in Brooklyn .

Cookin4days

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:44 am
That is very tough! Hope you find somewhere for her

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:45 am
Almost 4 weeks here
And I just had baby

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:46 am
I don’t know… my 10 yr old is finishing camp this Friday but first day of school is august 23.
I wish he had more vacation. Who needs kids in school in august?

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:49 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Almost 4 weeks here
And I just had baby

For some chizzuk I had two babies before pesach vacation. One RCH Nissan and one the week before and actually was way easier having everyone on vacation. There was no pressure to dress anyone, wake up anyone up, sign homework make lunches and snacks. We really went with the flow of how I felt. If everyone ate 6 string cheeses so what. Vacation was shockingly easier then if they were all in school.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:59 am
If we're blaming anyone - let's blame the camps. Why are they only for 8 weeks? Oh, because they're a business who can run as they please. Right?

On that logic, why should teachers - who are beyond overworked and terribly underpaid be the ones to pick up the bag?

Do you send your child to school for an education or for babysitting?

I get the problem. I just don't see why teachers (who are so idealistic and always willing to go the extra mile) should once again be the ones who take on more.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:05 am
I didn’t say schools should start earlier… I just wish camps would either offer an optional 9th week for a fee or someone would run in-between camps for older kids. Monsey area, litvish.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:07 am
The biggest issue is that often camps use schools and schools want the building back. I dont know how to solve that one even though I think most agree with you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:09 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
It's funny because I remember the exact same thread title from last year.

There is basically gonna be two sides to this-
One group of people (usually those who work in schools) who will say that school is not your babysitter and it's your problem as the parent to deal with it.

The other side (usually overwhelmed parents who work full time year round to pay high tuition rates) who are frustrated that schools have zero consideration for parents and could not care less about what works for them

How about I work full time through the summer in a school and still don't agree that schools should be in session in early August?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:12 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
If we're blaming anyone - let's blame the camps. Why are they only for 8 weeks? Oh, because they're a business who can run as they please. Right?

On that logic, why should teachers - who are beyond overworked and terribly underpaid be the ones to pick up the bag?

Do you send your child to school for an education or for babysitting?

I get the problem. I just don't see why teachers (who are so idealistic and always willing to go the extra mile) should once again be the ones who take on more.

I get that teachers work hard but, summer vacation has become abnormally long.
My girls' school ended on a Tuesday in June and is starting Tuesday after labor day, 11 weeks later.
My boys' school ended on a Wednesday in June and is starting Wednesday Aug 30, 10 weeks later (and we won't mention that the whole first week of school is half days)

When did it become normal to have 10-11 weeks summer vacation? I don't think it's asking too much to ask the teachers to do an extra week both at the end and beginning of the year, which cuts summer vacation down to 8-9 weeks (which it should be).

And it's not like the day camps go a full 8 weeks anymore either...my kids' day camp started on a wed and is ending on a thurs , so it's 7 weeks plus 1 day.

Both the day camps and schools keep chipping away more and more, while simultaneously raising prices more and more, and don't understand why parents feel frustrated and taken advantage of

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:14 am
There was a tekufah I would hire a young teen to watch my kids at my house vs farming some to camp and still being stuck.

I'm toggling now between taking off and having my husband who works from home work less (efficiently) while I'm at work.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics