Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Instapot chicken soup

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 6:35 pm
If you use your instapot for chicken soup, how does it work? How do you prepare it, how long does it cook for, how does it come out?

I usually cook on the stove and I prefer the taste of being cooked for just a few hours rather than cooking for hours and hours. I like a sweet taste from the vegetables and spices more so than the chickeny taste.

I also prefer fresh chicken soup flavor as opposed to from the freezer (even when I freeze stock and add fresh veggies it’s still not as good as when it’s fresh pot of soup).

I don’t have an instapot yet but thinking of getting one and making a fresh pot of chicken soup in it each week. So looking for feedback about it and also what else you use your Instapot for.

Thanks for reading my long post about a seemingly simple question 😂

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:29 pm
Always. I like my soup cooked for a long time so it helps. I put it on low for 4 hours with Keep warm off before I leave for work Friday morning, and when I get home 6 hours later it's depressured so I can open it but still warm. Then I add herbs and put it on saute for about 20 min and then I transfer it to my blech

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:32 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Always. I like my soup cooked for a long time so it helps. I put it on low for 4 hours with Keep warm off before I leave for work Friday morning, and when I get home 6 hours later it's depressured so I can open it but still warm. Then I add herbs and put it on saute for about 20 min and then I transfer it to my blech

Thanks for the reply! I don’t know anything about instapot settings and that’s cool they have a sauté setting. Can I ask why you add your herbs only at the end?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I don’t know anything about instapot settings and that’s cool they have a sauté setting. Can I ask why you add your herbs only at the end?

I don't want them to burn I guess. My mother always added them halfway through so this is my way of doing that

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:39 pm
We always use the instappt for soup at this point. It is soooo good. We just put it on the soup setting and its ready in maybe an hour (including heating up and letting the pressure out). I just throw everything in and turn it on.

Eta I usually leave it in for much longer than an hour though. Just let it sit while it cools.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:40 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
We always use the instappt for soup at this point. It is soooo good. We just put it on the soup setting and its ready in maybe an hour (including heating up and letting the pressure out). I just throw everything in and turn it on.

Oh wow chicken soup in an hour?? That’s so cool!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:41 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I don't want them to burn I guess. My mother always added them halfway through so this is my way of doing that

Oh interesting! Never heard of herbs burning in liquid.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh wow chicken soup in an hour?? That’s so cool!

I usually end up leaving it in for longer just as it cools, but it is really done in about an hour.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 7:59 pm
amother CandycaneI wrote:
I usually end up leaving it in for longer just as it cools, but it is really done in about an hour.

That’s so cool! I think I’m sold!!

What else do you imamothers like to use your instapots for?

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:24 pm
I looove the chicken soup much better than on stove. Takes 3 hours start to finish

Net filled with bones, onions, dill. Cut veggies on top. Fill with water. 1 T of salt.
Manual pressure for 1:20. Stays hot for hours and hours. I have to uncover if I want to put away before going to sleep.

I also make gefilte, rice, mashed potatoes. Saute onions, veggies etc. Steam broccoli. Beets for Beet salad. Cook soups. I can make an entire shab in the single pot.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:35 pm
Just wanted to put it out there...I love my instant pot for meats (roast, corned beef), hard boiled eggs, and other things, but I tried chicken soup in it once and we didn't like it. It didn't taste like real soup on the stove. But we like ours cooked all day on the stove, so maybe it will be more to your taste?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:37 pm
There's Instagram, instacart, but there's no such thing as instapot. It's insant pot.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 11:50 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Just wanted to put it out there...I love my instant pot for meats (roast, corned beef), hard boiled eggs, and other things, but I tried chicken soup in it once and we didn't like it. It didn't taste like real soup on the stove. But we like ours cooked all day on the stove, so maybe it will be more to your taste?

Oh interesting so that sounds good for what I want. Have you tried making other soups in there? If so what was your opinion of them vs stove top?

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 11:58 am
I have made this recipe many many times and its never let me down. I also make the ramen variation which is such a fun winter dinner.

https://www.number-2-pencil.co.....soup/

I make terrible soup in a pot on the stove so I either make it in the instant pot or the crock pot.

I played around with the settings and I like to set it for 45 minutes instead of 20.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:34 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have made this recipe many many times and its never let me down. I also make the ramen variation which is such a fun winter dinner.

https://www.number-2-pencil.co.....soup/

I make terrible soup in a pot on the stove so I either make it in the instant pot or the crock pot.

I played around with the settings and I like to set it for 45 minutes instead of 20.

Thanks!

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:15 pm
I pressure cook chicken bones for 2 hours in a soup sock. Discard the bones, refill any water lost to the top, throw in whole vegetables (peeled as needed), and then my herbs and an onion with some yellow peel left on it in a soup sock and pressure cook for 30 min. When it's done, I use a spoon to break up the vegetables, put the onion and herbs aside for those who like them in their soup, and add salt and pepper to taste. It's a beautiful golden clear broth.

We also like the soup that's been cooked forever with chunks of chicken in it, but this is way easier and cheaper. I get a glass cover, put it on slow cook for the max, and this was if there's any left, we can still have during lunch.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 3:04 pm
amother Candycane wrote:

Eta I usually leave it in for much longer than an hour though. Just let it sit while it cools.

Is this setting good for frozen chicken bones? Or do I need to add on time ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen