Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
So weirded out about parking space interaction
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why is it self centered to go next to your car when there is an empty spot? Pple never use the spot next to them when its empty??

The mind set is 'I'll do this as quick as possible, because I know that a car has priority over me'.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:24 pm
Lol and I would think the opposite - If I am trying to pull my car into a spot and someone is just standing there with their shopping cart unloading groceries, I would think they are the rude one for not moving aside.
Parking spots are meant to be parked in. I would definitely expect someone to move over so that I can park in a spot and not take up another space while loading up their bags. Unless someone has a handicap or obvious reason for needing the space, I think it's basic etiquette that you get out of the way.

I'm "younger" if that matters.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:28 pm
I hear everyone point however, I didn't even get a chance to move out of the way... If I saw someone waiting for the spot then I wld move out of the way I guess it was the way it was done by the driver by forcing me out

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:32 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
Yes, that’s more in line with the view that younger people are more self centered and entitled. Although in this case both parties are acting self centered and entitled.

The law is, pedestrian has the right of way. Applies in a parking lot, too; no reason it would be different. Either way, a car that appears to be ramming one down if they don’t jump out of the way-is very threatening. Of course the person standing there should try to vacate the spot asap, too. But for the length of time that the person is in the spot, just consider it unavailable for parking.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hear everyone point however, I didn't even get a chance to move out of the way... If I saw someone waiting for the spot then I wld move out of the way I guess it was the way it was done by the driver by forcing me out

You weren't hit - so you did get a chance to move out of the way.

You encountered an impatient aggressive driver - BH you are home safe.

behappy2

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:43 pm
Maybe it wasn't nice but I think it's pretty normal. They probably didn't see you until they turned into the spot and then it was too annoying to have to pull out.

BeHappy!

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:20 pm
It was wrong of them. Be a mentch! They saw op putting bags into her car, they can wait a minute or two.
All these people saying the other car was right, do you also not bother to straighten up your car?! Like you can't take/ wait an extra minute??!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 1:31 am
I've been pregnant 4 times and believe me, everything feels way more threatening when you are pregnant.

Not sure who was "right" in this case, but it sounds like the kind of thing I wouldn't even think about when not pregnant, but would be shaken up and pissed off about when pregnant.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:05 am
In general, I find it's usually smart to assume cluelessness over maliciousness.

Given that they sat for a few minutes before getting out of the car, they were probably distracted by their own business, and were not thinking over much about the situation.

And you shouldn't overthink the situation either.

Last edited by imasinger on Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:58 am
amother Molasses wrote:
Has this ever happened to you?

Yes. And I'm from out of town actually.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:24 am
amother Molasses wrote:
She’s trying to “other” you. As in, no one from her “circles” would think twice about this behavior.

But to be blunt that sort of aggressive driving/parking behavior happens mainly in NYC & co.

That's funny. I was the one who posted that and I'm from out of town and kind of older. I also think it's acceptable anywhere.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:52 am
I think the driver was perfectly justified and you were out of line. Standing in another parking spot when you were already parked in one is the equivalent of taking up two spots with your one car which is rude. If a car comes to use the spot, you need to get out of the way asap.

Also, it’s not any of your business why they decided to park in that spot over any of the other available spots. The parking spaces are there for cars, not for your convenience/extra space.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:47 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
I think the driver was perfectly justified and you were out of line. Standing in another parking spot when you were already parked in one is the equivalent of taking up two spots with your one car which is rude. If a car comes to use the spot, you need to get out of the way asap.

Also, it’s not any of your business why they decided to park in that spot over any of the other available spots. The parking spaces are there for cars, not for your convenience/extra space.

This, exactly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 2:24 pm
just curious how my subject line changed without me doing it

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
just curious how my subject line changed without me doing it

Most likely a mod changed it

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:59 pm
Not the same thing but I’ve started becoming so much more aware of people being dumb in parking lots. Without fail every time I start pulling out of a spot someone will see me moving and davka walk behind my car. I even had it recently backing into my own driveway and a man with child clearly saw me and made the choice to walk behind my moving vehicle. I just don’t get it Banging head

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 7:02 pm
If there are other open spots, there’s nothing wrong with op taking up space from another spot to load her car. How long is it going to take anyway?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 7:06 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
If it was a nearly- empty parking lot, then yes, weird. If the driver needed to park, not weird. Driving forward is how you say "excuse me" in driving language.

This reminds me of the time I fell asleep on a metro-north train with my head resting on my overnight bag that was taking up the empty seat next to me. Some lady shook me awake and said she needed the seat. I woke up and took my bag off the seat for her....and then looked around and saw the entire rest of the train car was empty Can't Believe It Twisted Evil

Driving forward is actually not how you say excuse me in driving language; inching forward would be that.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette