Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is Lakewood still as yeshivish it used to be?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:07 pm
We’re OOT kind of people, from more a MO DL some OOT style yeshivish Sephardic background.

Do we have a place in Lakewood?
Not sure we have the money to buy a nice house in the outskirts.
Does Lakewood itself have a space for people like us?

Sebastian

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:20 pm
Look into the deal area, youll be happier there

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:23 pm
Lakewood is a huge mix there's all types really but Lakewood housing is in general more expensive than outskirts

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:24 pm
The outskirts and surrounding towns have more of a mix

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:25 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Look into the deal area, youll be happier there

Maybe I should add that I like the yeshivish environment, so I don’t mind sending to more yeshivish style schools etc.

I just wonder if we will be misfits and get stared at?

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:25 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Lakewood is a huge mix there's all types really

No there really isn't! There's Yeshivish to "modern", but no true modern Orthodox. Modern Lakewood isn't MO. Not even close.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:26 pm
Not everyone in Lakewood is yeshivish and there are plenty in Tom’s River who are outright very modern, but no you will not be able to find a place and a school. You will feel stuffed in a box and forced to comply with rules and hashkafos which aren’t yours if you do manage to get into a school. It’s not worth your Ahmad nefesh and your kid’s happiness.
I’m saying this as a yeshivish/jpf person, not trying to push anyone away ch”v, but don’t want you to feel uncomfortable

Deal is a wonderful community, but it’s not specifically modern orthodox. The more modern people there are Syrian, which is very different

What about Teaneck/Bergenfield? Or 5 towns? Or Staten Island? Would you be more comfortable in those communities?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:27 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Lakewood is a huge mix there's all types really but Lakewood housing is in general more expensive than outskirts

Oh that’s interesting. Are there condo rentals available on the outskirts, or semi private townhouses?

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Maybe I should add that I like the yeshivish environment, so I don’t mind sending to more yeshivish style schools etc.

So maybe consider a place like Passaic? Or five towns where you have many MO communities and yeshivish schools side by side?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

In that case you’ll be fine in the more middle of the road schools. Neighborhood you need to research.
Many are very welcoming. You don’t want to end up in the few that need everyone to be a cookie cutter type.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh that’s interesting. Are there condo rentals available on the outskirts, or semi private townhouses?

Westgate is your best bet. And it’s a huge mix

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:30 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Not everyone in Lakewood is yeshivish and there are plenty in Tom’s River who are outright very modern, but no you will not be able to find a place and a school. You will feel stuffed in a box and forced to comply with rules and hashkafos which aren’t yours if you do manage to get into a school. It’s not worth your Ahmad nefesh and your kid’s happiness.
I’m saying this as a yeshivish/jpf person, not trying to push anyone away ch”v, but don’t want you to feel uncomfortable

Deal is a wonderful community, but it’s not specifically modern orthodox. The more modern people there are Syrian, which is very different

What about Teaneck/Bergenfield? Or 5 towns? Or Staten Island? Would you be more comfortable in those communities?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Does deal have a yeshivish presence too? I don’t want to go only MO bc dh is leaning towards yeshivish.

Maybe staten island would be good but I need nice and green areas for a reasonable price.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Does deal have a yeshivish presence too? I don’t want to go only MO bc dh is leaning towards yeshivish.

Maybe staten island would be good but I need nice and green areas for a reasonable price.

Yes deal and long branch do have a yeshivish presence. Just keep in mind that the Syrian community is very tight knit and if you’re not familiar with it, you may have a hard time breaking in

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Westgate is your best bet. And it’s a huge mix

Isn’t it specifically for the kollel families? And where can I check out the housing market in westgate?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:37 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Yes deal and long branch do have a yeshivish presence. Just keep in mind that the Syrian community is very tight knit and if you’re not familiar with it, you may have a hard time breaking in

I’m half Syrian so maybe that’ll make it easier.
Dh also wants chassidim around, which is why he is thinking about Lakewood

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:39 pm
People will say lakewood is a mix. Its no longer one small yeshiva community centered around bmg. However, the in town mentality of boxing in is not something you will like…even if you live in Toms River or Howell or Jackson. Unless you can bus your kids to school to a nearby chabad which I Know some friends of mine did until they moved …

amother
DarkPurple

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:58 pm
I think you will find what you are looking for in monsey. A huge mix of chasidish modern yeshivish jpf. Not mo though and I dont know about sephardic.
You have to research neighborhoods well because each one is its own type.

keym

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 3:59 pm
What about Baltimore?
It sounds way more what you're looking for.

Sebastian

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

Deal has lots of greenery and a nice oot yeshivish community. Its more chilled than lakewood. There are yeshivish schools that are fairly easier to get into. If you are sefardi, I would look there

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:08 pm
keym wrote:
What about Baltimore?
It sounds way more what you're looking for.

I love Baltimore! But dh doesn’t want to go out of town and I’m worried about the crime
Lakewood is also closest to some family and friends
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating