Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Melatonin update

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 4:47 pm
I posted 2 weeks ago about giving my son melatonin on a motzei shabbos to fall asleep. A lot of comments about stopping melatonin and I tried. For 2 weeks. And my son has had the hardest time falling asleep. Last night he was up until almost 9 pm. And he just can't sleep without it. So I'm gonna start again

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 4:51 pm
How old is the child? 9 PM is not late. Some kids need less sleep.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 4:52 pm
What time does he wake up?

amother
Purple

I’m glad you’re putting your child’s needs before random internet ppls opinions.
I’m guessing you spoke to your pediatrician and you’re following wtvr advice you were given.
A few points if you’re trying to wean your kid off.
Try tapering it down very slowly. A drop less every night…
Stick to a routine while you slowly taper the melatonin
Slow calming music/white noise.

amother
OP

5. And yes for him 9pm is very late. Especially when about to start school, I need to make sure he gets a good night sleep

amother
Mocha

amother Leaf wrote:
How old is the child? 9 PM is not late. Some kids need less sleep.

This. The 7-7 idea is very American culture like. Some kids just need a later bedtime

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 4:54 pm
mha3484 wrote:
What time does he wake up?

Between 6 something and 7 something

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 4:54 pm
I tend to go with my kids needing 10 hours so my 6 year old who wakes up at 6:30 am goes in around 8:30. So really based on when he wakes up 9 may not be that crazy.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 4:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Between 6 something and 7 something

10 hours is adequate sleep for a 5 year old. Not all kids need 12 hours a night. I don't think any of my kids slept 12 hours a night over the age of 4.
One of my kids had a hard time falling asleep when they were 4-5 years old. I started keeping them up till 10 and they had no trouble falling asleep. That child just needs less sleep.
There is no reason to give melatonin to a child that falls asleep at 9. The child just needs a later bedtime. You can also try cutting sugar from their diet.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 5:09 pm
He was tired today because he didn't get enough sleep at night. After being so active at camp and then having trouble falling asleep afterwards, what's it gonna look like after a school day of not being active or tired out?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 5:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
He was tired today because he didn't get enough sleep at night. After being so active at camp and then having trouble falling asleep afterwards, what's it gonna look like after a school day of not being active or tired out?

He's going to get used to it. Maybe he's tired because he was laying in bed for 2 hours before falling in to a not such good sleep. Maybe if he'd go to bed at 9, he'd fall in to a good sleep right away and wake up better rested.

momallhours

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:38 pm
Are you posting for advice or to be swayed yay or nay?
You know your child best and along with guidance from your pediatrician you do what is best for your child.

My DD 5 cannot fall asleep until after 9 closer to 10 and is also up by 7am. Now while there is nothing inherently wrong with that it turns into a problem when she is an overtired unregulated child the entire day. Based on that it is obviously not enough sleep for her and she is not functioning at all. So while I know the negatives at this point this is what my child needs for right now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics