Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which job to take? Offered a raise and expecting
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:22 pm
expecting in NY and due in a few months. I am not showing yet. I didnt get maternity leave with my first since I was only working at my job for 5 months by the time I had my baby. my current job is giving me a $30 raise an hour, but I just interviewed by another office that will pay me $20 more an hour than my current job. I work about 25 hours a week. so the second place pays more, but I would not receive maternity leave since ill only have been working there a few months before I am due bezras hashem. I also like where I work now, its a heimish office, I have friends there and I enjoy the work for the most part. the commute is 45 minutes. the second job is not a jewish office, in not such a great area, but a 25 minute commute.

what do you think? do I stick with my original job? or try a new job?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:25 pm
An additional $40,000 a year sounds like alot to give up just for the maternity leave but idk how much you're making. If you like your current job though, that's amazing. I feel like you and your husband should make the decision based on flexibility of kids, Yt, Shabbos etc. I know you're happy at your current job so that's a reason to stay, on the other hand another $40,000 is 40,000 reasons to go Wink can you boss match the new offer? Or go up enough to make you stay?

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:26 pm
I would stick with the familiar right now and keep your present job so you are entitled to maternity leave. You can always look for other opportunities afterwards.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:28 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
An additional $40,000 a year sounds like alot to give up just for the maternity leave but idk how much you're making. If you like your current job though, that's amazing. I feel like you and your husband should make the decision based on flexibility of kids, Yt, Shabbos etc. I know you're happy at your current job so that's a reason to stay, on the other hand another $40,000 is 40,000 reasons to go Wink can you boss match the new offer? Or go up enough to make you stay?

how did you work out the extra $40,000 an hour? I am bad with math
I should add in my OP I am not paid over the summer I dont work then unfortunately. its a 10 month a job year. in the summer I babysit usually instead. my current job is a jewish office so its very flexible if I dont show up one day or need to leave early, I dont think the non jewish place will be as accomadating.

I asked for the raise yesterday by my current job and they raised me $30, I dont think they would raise me more than that. they called me back this morning and said they could do $30. I felt greedy asking for a much higher raise

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:29 pm
Especially since you will be having a baby be'ezrat Hashem, I would not want a new 25 minute commute. That extra $20 an hour comes with a loss of an hour a day on commuting which adds up to a big quality of life drop. Plus the actual cost of commuting (train, bus, gas, wear and tear or whatever)

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:31 pm
Ahuva's Mommy wrote:
I would stick with the familiar right now and keep your present job so you are entitled to maternity leave. You can always look for other opportunities afterwards.

Same, a job you like and an environment you like is really valuable. There is no guarantee you will get that elsewhere and now just doesn’t seem like the time to take a risk.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Especially since you will be having a baby be'ezrat Hashem, I would not want a new 25 minute commute. That extra $20 an hour comes with a loss of an hour a day on commuting which adds up to a big quality of life drop. Plus the actual cost of commuting (train, bus, gas, wear and tear or whatever)

no, my current job is a 45 minute commute. the new job that pays $20 more than my old job's offer is a 25 minute commute.
also I dont mind driving while expecting I did long distance with my first

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:35 pm
to summarize:

job A is where I work now:
-is offering me a $30 raise than what I was getting last year
-45 minute commute
-heimish office and flexible
- I like my coworkers
-I would get maternity leave
-dont know if since im due beezer hashem I should enjoy another year in this place where im comfortable and know the routine

job B is a new job:
-pays $20 more an hour than my old job (even with the new offer)
-shorter commute, between 20-25 minutes
-not jewish work environment
-not sure how flexible it is
-would not qualify for maternity leave
-push myself for a change of environment and to meet new people

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:36 pm
Are you tight on money?

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
how did you work out the extra $40,000 an hour? I am bad with math
I should add in my OP I am not paid over the summer I dont work then unfortunately. its a 10 month a job year. in the summer I babysit usually instead. my current job is a jewish office so its very flexible if I dont show up one day or need to leave early, I dont think the non jewish place will be as accomadating.

I asked for the raise yesterday by my current job and they raised me $30, I dont think they would raise me more than that. they called me back this morning and said they could do $30. I felt greedy asking for a much higher raise

An extra $30 per hour is a huge raise!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:53 pm
amother Bone wrote:
An extra $30 per hour is a huge raise!

Yes, I was thinking -is OP saying she was raised to $30/hr, or did she get a $30 raise per hour??? If so-Wow. And the new place is $50 more than OP’s current per hour?? Double wow.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 2:59 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Yes, I was thinking -is OP saying she was raised to $30/hr, or did she get a $30 raise per hour??? If so-Wow. And the new place is $50 more than OP’s current per hour?? Double wow.

OP I would stay where you are now.
You will get maternity leave. You will continue working with people you know and like. You will continue to have flexibility.

And it is a very big risk to start somewhere new when you are expecting. If your kid is sick and you have to leave early, will they warn you that if it happens too many times then you will have to find another job? And what about the neighborhood, if you don't feel comfortable walking around there?

Your current job gave you a raise. I vote stay there at least until you are back from maternity leave. Money isn't everything. Working in a place where you are happy and which treats you well is worth a lot.

Also, will the new job put you in a higher tax bracket or cause you to lose benefits? If so then the additional income isn't going to be so much after all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 3:09 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Are you tight on money?

always haha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:

I changed some details in my OP so I am not easily identified. but I spent many years in school and accrued a large amount of debt (thousands and thousands) for my specialized degree. cant say what I do, thats why I was vague and wrote office job.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 3:26 pm
amother Opal wrote:

Also, will the new job put you in a higher tax bracket or cause you to lose benefits? If so then the additional income isn't going to be so much after all.

The tax bracket thing isn’t a factor. The higher tax rate will only apply to the additional money in that bracket, the rest of the money won’t be taxed at a higher rate.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 3:49 pm
Are you sure that the new place wouldn’t have maternity leave? I once started a job pregnant and the nonjewish company gave me maternity leave.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 4:20 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Are you sure that the new place wouldn’t have maternity leave? I once started a job pregnant and the nonjewish company gave me maternity leave.

I was told you need to have been working somewhere a year

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 4:46 pm
Does your current job know about the other offer? Can you tell them you got another offer but you really would like to stay and see if they match or get closer? Obviously you need to be ready to leave if you do that.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 5:02 pm
Does the new job know that you are expecting and will be taking off? Not only won't you be entitled to paid disability, you will not be eligible for FMLA at all- which means that the new job legally can let you go when you give birth.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 6:16 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Does your current job know about the other offer? Can you tell them you got another offer but you really would like to stay and see if they match or get closer? Obviously you need to be ready to leave if you do that.

well my old job knows I was interviewing by other companies, and when I called asking for a raise isaid a ballpark range of what I was being offered by 2 other companies I interviewed with. and then this new job confirmed via email with me their salary AFTER my old job got back to me with their new pay. so I feel greedy now going back and saying "oh even though you just gave me a raise I need more"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics