Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3   20  21  22  Next

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 4:59 pm
I've got tons of weird things, all from my MIL. She just has a different idea of what is useful and nice looking. But she gave me my DH (her only and holy son) - so I don't complain. But my DH and I joke about all the funky gifts.

Where I live clothes are common presents and people are generally not super tall... I am between 5"9 and 5"10 (1m76) and 135 pounds. I generally use tops sizes XS or S... but when some family members (esp MIL) gives me something.. it's always L or XL.. hello.. I am tall but not fat!!! (she is like 5"2)..

goodheart

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:07 pm
When my mil decides to buy us things I also get very wiered gifts.
but we say thank you! and we dont make a issue .cause then she
really wont buy u anything.

octopus

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:10 pm
I love my mil- she is great.
but sometimes, if she buys clothes for the kids, she will buy ds 18 mts. shock shock ummm...he is almost two.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:11 pm
Quote:
I would toss in things like handsoap, toilet paper, gloves, disposable dishes for the first week or so till things got toiveled, sponges...

I'd also get for my friends things like sandwich bags, plastic tablecloths, paper towels, mesh hampers... All wrapped up very nicely Wink But they knew what was inside because it's something to use from day 1 and I didn't want them to put in the back of some closet.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:11 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I love my mil- she is great.
but sometimes, if she buys clothes for the kids, she will buy ds 18 mts. shock shock ummm...he is almost two.

She probably just doesn't know. Try to change them.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:18 pm
With clothes it's pretty simple. Give the gift giver your sizes once and for all.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:22 pm
GAMZu wrote:
With clothes it's pretty simple. Give the gift giver your sizes once and for all.

She should know. We lived with her for 6 months and she has seen my laundry more than once. Also I have told her numerous times. Or when my husband gave me something (or I choose something) and she would say that it looks cute I would say.. Thank you.. it is XS.. do you see how wide it is at this part??

octopus

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:26 pm
is it a subtle hint that she thinks you should wear bigger?
my sister's mil sends her magazine articles on tznius with hi-lighted parts that she thinks are applicable to my sis. shock

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:30 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
GAMZu wrote:

She should know. We lived with her for 6 months and she has seen my laundry more than once. Also I have told her numerous times. Or when my husband gave me something (or I choose something) and she would say that it looks cute I would say.. Thank you.. it is XS.. do you see how wide it is at this part??

This sounds like my step-mother. I am actually a size large or extra large but she always gives me things that are 2X or 3X. I keep telling her they are too big, and she responds "did you try them on?"

Yes, I did. I'm just not that fat

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 6:27 pm
When I got engaged my High School teacher bought me a lingerie bag with a picture of a bra and underwear on it! I thought that was really interesting . . .

anonymous in case she ever reads this!

Classicookie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 6:58 pm
as a engagement gift for one of my students she gave me 2 things
1-some weird soft box that opened into 4 round plastic zippy thing no idea what to do with it
2- very fake junky looking set of a necklace ring and earings now I do were fake stuff but that looked like from the 99cents store

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:19 pm
That would be the Othello toby jug we received for our wedding. Since it defies normal description, I searched for a picture. Little did I know that I could dump it on Ebay for $95! Of course, I'd hate to lose it as a conversation piece.

To give some perspective, it stands about 9-10" tall with a similar diameter. For a long time, I kept pencils, pens, rulers, and similar school supplies in it. I'd put it on the dining room table every afternoon for homework. My kids will probably be in therapy for years!

yummydd

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:24 pm
I once got from someone a pack of scourers and a pack of steelwool! Now those people may have decided that my house needs more cleaning but the problem is they have never been to my house or know me it was one of my dh friend Very Happy

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:28 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
We got an antique-looking bell on a rope as a wedding present. We still can't figure out why or what we are supposed to do with it.

GAMZu wrote:
A huge feathered hat with a super wide brim from my MIL. She said it was to wear at weddings. What

These two (and of course Clarissa's foot massager) had me rolling.

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:33 pm
I got this

It is supposed to have white crotched stars to be the American flag. I don't live in the US.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:49 pm
My brother got a stuffed dog (or was it a bear?) wearing a santa hat for his bar mitzvah!

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:52 pm
Oh, dear! I thought I'd win hands-down for sure, but I think that flag . . . thing . . . trumps my Othello jug. Do you think it was intended as a throw blanket or designed to be flown at half-mast?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:54 pm
dearest amother, I hope you mean 'crocheted' instead of 'crotched.' Wink

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:04 pm
When dd was born, dh's secretary gave us a musical bear. I'm sure she meant very well, but the bear is holding a handkerchief that says "G-d bless baby" and the only song it plays is the Lord's Prayer. shock

Dh's grandmother just gave us the silverware set she ate from as a child. It's 1 knife, 1 spoon, and 1 fork made of silver and monogrammed with her initials. I can't imagine feeding dd with real silver, but I'll keep the set for sentimental reasons.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:07 pm
For our wedding we got a gravy boat shaped like a turkey in bright orange and red colors. Really hideous.

We started to become religious right before (and of course continued after) we got married and I guess some of our parents' friends caught wind of this and it inspired them to buy us:
A lucite chip and dip with our names and Jewish stars engraved all over it
3 small wooden statues of Chassidic musicians
A set of spreaders with ceramic bagels as handles
A latke plate (It was adorned with Jewish stars, dreidels and menorahs and said "Latke Plate" on it)
A "rag doll" that looks like a rabbi and is hollow inside so that you can keep it in your kitchen and stuff plastic grocery bags inside to recycle (this was explained in the card)
A Jewish holiday cookbook (with treif recipes)
A set of refrigerator magnets in the form of chassidic men and women
A gefilte fish plate (just like the latke plate was marked "latke plate", this was marked "gefilte fish" and had cartoon-like fish images on it)

I have also gotten some odd gifts from my MIL over the years - mainly very loud, tacky gaudy handbags and costume jewelry. I'm very conservative so I don't know why she thinks a huge mustard yellow leather bag covered in metal studs and rhinestones would suit me. Oh, well. I'm sure she means well.

Oh, and every year my husband's grandmother gives me a wool nightgown for Chanukah. We live in FL. There are maybe 2 nights a year where it would be cold enough to wear it IF we didn't have heat. Strange.
Page 2 of 22   Previous  1  2  3   20  21  22  Next Recent Topics