Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3 15  16  17 20  21  22  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 3:48 am
Amother
That's hysterical!
A friend gave us framed art for our wedding. I thought it was atrocious, though DH loved it! I refused to hang it and he finally gave in and gave it to a relative who loves it! Smile

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 11:31 am
This is a thread about weird gifts we've received, but I have a confession about an absolutely over-the-top inappropriate gift I gave -- albeit with the best of intentions.

In the days before Internet, my mother asked me to stop at a store near my work to select and ship a wedding gift to her cousin's son. I found a lovely sterling wine coaster in her price range; wrote a nice card; and had it shipped off. I was nearly cackling with self-congratulations for how neatly I'd disposed of this little chore, and I called my mother to receive all the thanks that was surely due me.

"A wine coaster!" she shrieked. "Why would you buy something like that?" When I professed ignorance as to what heinous crime I'd committed, she said, "Don't you remember the whole story about his son?" Not only did I not remember; I'd never even heard the gory details, having been immersed in my own dating and wedding bubble during the drama.

It seems the cousin's son was a recovering alcoholic who had truly "hit bottom" before straightening his life out, returning to school, and eventually getting married. While the story was well known among the cousins of my mother's generation, it was either deliberately downplayed and/or of little interest to the rest of us, who'd barely met the cousin, let alone his son.

"Oh, well," my mother sighed. "If it's just a nice little silver tray, maybe they won't know what it's for."

"Um. I, um, had the salesclerk put a little card on top saying, 'Wine Coaster.' I was afraid they would think it was just a dinky little tray or part of a set."

I think my mother just sighed.

We didn't receive a thank you card from the cousin's son, nor have we really heard much out of them for 25 years! Strangest thing!

Chippies

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 8:42 pm
For our wedding, we received a very large and heavy ceramic bin of some sort, which we think is meant for garbage.

Someone else gave us a wine cooler which holds about 30 wine bottles. Neither of us are wine drinkers (other than a drop that we put into kiddush) and when we first got married, we lived in a tiny apartment.

Oh, another strange wedding present was a ceramic chanukiah in the shape of two scary boys with these awful holes for their eyes....it's hard to describe, but let's just say that it gave us nightmares. We tried giving it away but everyone just laughed/cried and refused to take it. I tried to leave it with a gemach, but it was just rejected time and time again, so I think it ended up in the garbage. I still shudder at the thought of that thing.

mango

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 11:54 pm
For our wedding we got a weird gift it came in a bag from a really fancy store so we were kind of excited we thought it would be something good. We opened it and it's a wooden heart hanging on a string... We weren't quite sure where we were supposed to hang it!
Another one. When my baby was born, a girl we got a blue outfit with cars and trucks all over it definitely a boys outfit. The funny thing was that it was wrapped with pink paper and bows very girly! We decided that they must have bought two gifts for a girl and a boy and the store mixed them up when wrapping. It was from a boutique type gift store, we exchanged it for a really cute girls outfit!

willow

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:14 am
Some of these are weird but a wine cooler is up my ally. We love wine here.

Chippies

Post Thu, Jul 05 2012, 11:21 am
willow wrote:
Some of these are weird but a wine cooler is up my ally. We love wine here.
Oh, I agree that it would make a good gift for lots of people...but clearly not for us non-drinkers with a tiny apartment (ie. no room for a huge wine cooler!). I guess it wasn't so weird, but rather thoughtless.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 3:59 pm
My 5 year old ds just got cologne, ben ten, for a birthday present. I know they're very into cologne as gifts here, but 5 years old???!!!

ruth

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 4:22 pm
Chippies wrote:
For our wedding, we received a very large and heavy ceramic bin of some sort, which we think is meant for garbage...

it is for collecting vegetable peeling, egg shells and such to take to the compost bin. I would take it. Cool

ruth

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 4:25 pm
freidasima wrote:
Rivky take it easy and see the explanation I just added.

It was someone really close who knew us well....
its still very funny.

ruth

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
For our wedding we got a gravy boat shaped like a turkey in bright orange and red colors. Really hideous.

We started to become religious right before (and of course continued after) we got married and I guess some of our parents' friends caught wind of this and it inspired them to buy us:
A lucite chip and dip with our names and Jewish stars engraved all over it
3 small wooden statues of Chassidic musicians
A set of spreaders with ceramic bagels as handles
A latke plate (It was adorned with Jewish stars, dreidels and menorahs and said "Latke Plate" on it)
A "rag doll" that looks like a rabbi and is hollow inside so that you can keep it in your kitchen and stuff plastic grocery bags inside to recycle (this was explained in the card)
A Jewish holiday cookbook (with treif recipes)
A set of refrigerator magnets in the form of chassidic men and women
A gefilte fish plate (just like the latke plate was marked "latke plate", this was marked "gefilte fish" and had cartoon-like fish images on it)

I have also gotten some odd gifts from my MIL over the years - mainly very loud, tacky gaudy handbags and costume jewelry. I'm very conservative so I don't know why she thinks a huge mustard yellow leather bag covered in metal studs and rhinestones would suit me. Oh, well. I'm sure she means well.

Oh, and every year my husband's grandmother gives me a wool nightgown for Chanukah. We live in FL. There are maybe 2 nights a year where it would be cold enough to wear it IF we didn't have heat. Strange.

you can open a synagogue gift shop with all of this inventory.

(that's the sad thing about assimilated Jews, they can't get beyond the ethnic symbols and don't know what the essense of Torah and Judaism is. sigh)

ruth

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 4:43 pm
mimivan wrote:
..Wait a minute...an Othello Jug as a wedding present! How disturbing! LOL
Wink mimivan, I'm going to PM you about this.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 4:49 pm
This is a fun thread. I'm glad it was re-awoken!

When I was 7 I got a white cat shaped soap - if you wet it and left it out for 2 weeks, it was meant to grow white cat-like fur (aka mold).

I did let the fur grow, but then did not use the soap. Eww.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
For our wedding we got a gravy boat shaped like a turkey in bright orange and red colors. Really hideous.

We started to become religious right before (and of course continued after) we got married and I guess some of our parents' friends caught wind of this and it inspired them to buy us:
A latke plate (It was adorned with Jewish stars, dreidels and menorahs and said "Latke Plate" on it)
A "rag doll" that looks like a rabbi and is hollow inside so that you can keep it in your kitchen and stuff plastic grocery bags inside to recycle (this was explained in the card)
A gefilte fish plate (just like the latke plate was marked "latke plate", this was marked "gefilte fish" and had cartoon-like fish images on it)

I have also gotten some odd gifts from my MIL over the years - mainly very loud, tacky gaudy handbags and costume jewelry. I'm very conservative so I don't know why she thinks a huge mustard yellow leather bag covered in metal studs and rhinestones would suit me. Oh, well. I'm sure she means well.

Oh, and every year my husband's grandmother gives me a wool nightgown for Chanukah. We live in FL. There are maybe 2 nights a year where it would be cold enough to wear it IF we didn't have heat. Strange.

Must be the same plate as mentioned before

SorGold wrote:
Not that crazy... but I guess its my craziest and its still sitting in the box... A large platter in the shape of fish that is painted in a cartoonish style and says "Gefilta Fish" on it. Sometimes I do serve fish or even gefilta fish on a platter but never nearly the amount to fill up a large tacky platter.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 11:18 pm
We got a dog as a wedding gift. Do I win?

ima_dina084

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 2:01 am
amother wrote:

I Haven't laughed so much in a long time!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 2:08 am
a pot from mil for my bday

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 2:26 am
A small ceramic tzdoka box for dh birthday from MIL. He is 42!!!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
We got a dog as a wedding gift. Do I win?

We got two parakeets from my dh boss as a sorry/thank you for something.

estherga

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 8:14 am
2 neon green towels for our wedding

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 8:20 am
Perfume from another man, which my DH graciously declined.
Page 16 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 15  16  17 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics