Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help me make mornings smoother

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 12:56 pm
My DS is 6.5 and has pretty intense adhd. His younger brother is 4. I feel like he needs a tranquilizer the minute they are both awake. If ds wakes up first he can play nicely by himself with toys or a tablet from the library. But the second is younger brother is downstairs it’s chaos. Physical hurting, throwing things and jumping on each other!
I’ve been relying on letting them watch just to keep the peace and avoid my younger son the trauma of being constantly abused. But I feel guilty that this is our morning routine.
Help me come up with other ideas of how to navigate mornings and afternoons (before he takes his meds and once the meds have worn off).
Crying

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 1:08 pm
This sounds like my house but my boys are 8.5 and 6. I try to give my ds his medication right when he wakes up. If things are out of control he needs to run on the treadmill for 10 minutes which really calms him down.
Does your son like story tapes. Many mornings my son will listen to stories and this keeps him calm. However there still are many chaotic morning that are very difficult because everyone is jumping on everyone elses heads.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:01 pm
Sounds like you really get it. Story tapes are a good idea! Does anyone else have practical tips of how to keep things calmer and more regulated?

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 2:46 pm
My kids are a little older at this point but I either have to be up and supervising or resign myself to letting them use the screen. But every other idea leads to pure chaos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 4:34 pm
Yes I hate the chaos. I used to have play dough out some mornings and that would
Help. It really just depends but lately I’m so exhausted I’ve just been relying on them watching. I wish we didn’t have as much watching..

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 4:38 pm
I don't like it either but I also am at the point where I have a kid with minyan so I force myself up and am trying to get in bed earlier. I want to be up when he leaves even if he acts too cool lol and it makes it easier with my adhd kids. Its a win for everyone.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 6:53 pm
Any others have tips and tricks for managing unstructured time with adhd kids of this or similar ages?

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 7:00 pm
Would Naki radio help?
(My kids have too much screen time. I wish I could switch them to Naki.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)