Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you take offense?
1  2  Next

Would you take offense?
Yes  
 17%  [ 16 ]
No  
 82%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 91

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 11:21 pm
If you work as an executive assistant, would you take offense if your boss asked you to cover for the receptionist when she was absent?

happy chick

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 11:25 pm
I've taken the trash out and picked up/sorted/opened the mail when it had to get done. Although executive assistant is not my official title, I'm pretty close to it. Also working at my job for many years, eat longer than any other employee.

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 11:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you work as an executive assistant, would you take offense if your boss asked you to cover for the receptionist when she was absent?

Depends how often. Once a week? Probably yes. Once in 2 months? Probably Not

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 11:44 pm
I felt offended. I do so much for the company and I go beyond, it's demoralizing.
Nothing will change though, tomorrow is another day of work...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 11:46 pm
Another issue is that in the eyes of others this could look like a demotion, so embarrassing.

HR should be responsible for solving lack of staff issues.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 12:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Another issue is that in the eyes of others this could look like a demotion, so embarrassing.

HR should be responsible for solving lack of staff issues.

If it's a big company, then yes I agree with you. If it's a small company, then stepping in to help out when needed is a normal thing.

If there's an HR department, then I gather it's a decent sized company & that there are others who could have been asked. What would have happened if you responded that you're not comfortable taking the receptionist role for the day?

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 12:27 am
Isn't the executive assistant supposed to assist the executive?

How's it gonna look if the executive can't find a receptionist for the day?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 12:36 am
I feel like in many cases the executive assistant ends up having to step in and helping out with all sorts of tasks that may not be part of the job description. It's almost like part of the job description is just making sure things run smoothly so you do what it takes.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:59 am
Wow, what a different perspective. I would imagine being a team player is a valued trait at any company and stepping in to do what needs to be done is something everyone does.

I have a masters degree. I am an LCSW and in the cancer center I work, the receptionist was out unexpectedly and the facility manager asked me to sit at the receptionist desk, answer phones and address concerns as needed and to try to type my notes/make my calls from there, so the desk/position would not be unattended. My response-“sure. Let me know what else I can do to be most helpful”. Maybe it’s because I am 50yo and there is an entirely different attitude with younger people, or maybe I’m just secure in my position and abilities that I don’t feel threatened. To me, it’s about getting the job done and providing the best care for the patients, wether it is answering the phone when they call, helping there find the right hallway and elevator, assisting with insurance, facilitating physical care, or helping them with the emotional challenges of their new reality.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 6:04 am
amother OP wrote:

Its all in how the request was made. Not everyone has the mental space to consider how important it might be for you to not be seen as a temporary receptionist as opposed to an EA, in order to frame it in such a way that your ego isn't bruised.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 6:57 am
I wouldn’t take offense. Many times the boss themself will take over when a receptionist is out, work can’t manage without a secretary. If anything look at the positive, you get paid big bugs to do a job that normally pays $20 an hour. I don’t think anyone else would notice and think you got demoted, I would look at it as being a team player.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 7:00 am
I wouldn't....it's apart of being a team player. You do wtvr is needed.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 7:02 am
Can they forward incoming calls to your phone so you don't have to sit in reception?

I'd be ok if this were a revolving duty or a rare event. If it's often enough, it should be rotated through all staff.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 8:27 am
amother Jean wrote:
Isn't the executive assistant supposed to assist the executive?

How's it gonna look if the executive can't find a receptionist for the day?

So this was the executive asking me to do this! If I could work from the reception desk! She doesn't even realize that the way the system is set up no one can sit at someone else's computer, each one is personal.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 8:30 am
I am seeing the other side of this by the responses and maybe I shouldn't have taken offense.
I'm not used to even answering the phones for them, that's why I was taken back, but I'm seeing the other side now.

imasinger

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 8:32 am
It's important that you tell her. "I'd be happy to help, but I won't be able to access my work that's on my regular computer from reception, I just wanted to make sure you understand that."

Don't worry for a millisecond that anyone will think you've been demoted. Everyone will assume you're being a team player.

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 9:15 am
amother OP wrote:
I felt offended. I do so much for the company and I go beyond, it's demoralizing.
Nothing will change though, tomorrow is another day of work...

Why is it demoralizing? A good employee has to be flexible. It doesn't have to do with how much you do for the company, a good employee steps up when needed. It's a normal request if it's once in a while.
DH has a way higher position than executive assistant and it's not beneath him to help shlep boxes when needed. It's called being a team player.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 9:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I am seeing the other side of this by the responses and maybe I shouldn't have taken offense.
I'm not used to even answering the phones for them, that's why I was taken back, but I'm seeing the other side now.

Where I used to work the higher level employees took over for the receptionist when needed. The assumption was that the lower level employees wouldn’t know enough to properly direct calls, even sorting the mail requires more company knowledge so things end up where they belong.. We were able to login to that computer so we could still work. I’m surprised anyone with a computer job wouldn’t have a remote option nowadays.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 9:27 am
amother OP wrote:

I mean, when I was working in a public school, and they were low on staffing, the assistant principal took over the job of cafeteria worker and was in the lunchroom every day for a few months, wiping off tables, bringing trash cans over, and doing general clean up along with the others.
And the principal took over answering phones on days the secretary was out.
Nobody thought anything of it except to be glad they were willing to step up and keep things running.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 9:43 am
One of the components of my job description is "other duties as assigned". This is that, and I'm sure this is part of just about every office job.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics