Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Post bris question - mohel not answering phone
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:12 am
Granted it's 1am so this is understandable.

He instructed us to take off the bandage before going to bed tonight. It's kinda sticky down there and when I started to peel off the bandage it seemed to make the wound start bleeding again. I stopped in middle of removing it and reached out to the mohel and didn't get a response yet but I don't want to leave the job undone if I'm not supposed to.

Any boy moms here with more bris experience seen this and can share what your mohel advised? This is my first boy.

Please no comments about not taking advice from imamother. I am still attempting to reach the professional and this is the backup plan if I still can't.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:14 am
It’s been a while for me, but can you soak off the bandage?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:18 am
I was thinking maybe to add water... but meanwhile it did already start bleeding again so maybe it needs to be bandaged... though probably not with a dirty day old dressing... except I don't have another, only gauze pads.

This is all so stressful... my girls were so simple...dh is very squeamish so he's not much help and anyway isn't more qualified than me to figure out what to do

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:21 am
I do remember blood when using gauze pads. I had 3 different mohalim for my boys and each had a different system.
How much blood? Can you put him into a warm bath and let the bandage fall off? Then use the gauze pad with bacitracin or whatever the mohel told you.

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:21 am
Leave the day old dressing on if it’s causing bleeding . It can wait til tomorrow after you speak to the mohel. Don’t stress , he’ll be ok.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:30 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I do remember blood when using gauze pads. I had 3 different mohalim for my boys and each had a different system.
How much blood? Can you put him into a warm bath and let the bandage fall off? Then use the gauze pad with bacitracin or whatever the mohel told you.

Not sure how much blood I just saw that fresh blood started to come out and closed him up right away while seeking further advice.

I feel like a bath/ soak would have been a great idea before I started peeling off the bandage but now that it's already bleeding I don't know.

Still no answer from mohel. Sad

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:31 am
Do you want the number of a mohel in Israel?

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:32 am
Put corn starch on it to stop the bleeding. Leave the dressing for now

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:40 am
Unless there is excessive amount of bleeding leave the old gauze pad on for now. Put lots of bacitracin there and close up diaper.

He will be ok until morning

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:45 am
It's not really bleeding anymore (maybe a little ooze but nothing is pouring) but I don't want to trigger it again so I'm leaving the bandage on, it'll probably be just a few hours until I get advice and what's going to happen in a few hours already.

Next question for the experienced moms, when do they usually check up after the bris? I guess since it's going to be Shabbos soon the mohel said he'll come back in a few days (he doesn't live so close to us hence the Shabbos issue) but I thought (and would feel very reassured) they check up the next day to make sure everything looks right.

I'm not a super nervous mother but newborn surgery with me as the only follow up is getting me a little unglued. Confused I'm sure this little boy will be a blessing iyh but coming home with girls was so much easier, here it's a week after birth and it's been a lot of stress between the preparation and monitoring a possible jaundice situation and the event itself (low key and dh took care of almost everything and I sat down peacefully the whole time but still) and now the after care... I feel like I'm never getting a chance to recover from the birth. I don't know what happened to my convenient summer baby, need to get kids back to school soon! 😩

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:57 am
Mazal tov! having a boy is stressful, so is having a baby in summer. Hold in there! school starts soon.
Did the mohel tell you to pour baby oil over the area with every change? You should be pouring a lot of oil over the area to keep it from sticking to the bandages.
He should either come himself to check the baby or send someone before Shabbos. I would insist on it (I have 7 boys kah)
My mohel always said not to touch the bandage at all and took it off himself two days later. One of my boys did start bleeding and he very carefully fanned the wound until it stopped bleeding and then put on a fresh bandage for another 24 hours. I'm really surprised that he told you to do it yourself.

Do you live somewhere where you can easily find a different mohel if this one won't come?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 1:59 am
Poor baby, DO NOT peel off the gauze.
Wait for the mohel.
For the future, put A TON of bacitracin under the gauze at every change so it has no chance of sticking.

Rabbit613

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:03 am
I was told to pour baby oil on the area to soften the bandage and later on the mohel came and took of the bandage himself.

snooper86

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:09 am
My mohel used a special powder that caused the wound to close up right away. I never saw any blood or trace of blood.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:10 am
I think your best bet is to leave it as is. I don't think it can harm him to leave it longer. As others have said, put cream and just close up diaper. He'll be ok

Mazel tov!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:11 am
My instructions were lots of ointment on a gauze pad with every change, which I've been doing.

He said the bandage might fall off by itself and if it doesn't I should simply unwrap it before going to sleep tonight.

In retrospect seeing how messy it is down there I feel a little abandoned and very sorry for the baby being stuck with such an unskilled caregiver.

We are OOT and the mohel traveled at least 2 hours to do the bris so I understand why he can't come back so soon especially on a Friday but where does that leave me?!

Totally would have invited his family for Shabbos, it's a nice town and they actually expressed interest but his wife had to work

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:12 am
OP another thought - could you go to bet hachlama for Shabbos? then the nurses will keep an eye on him and there is a doctor and a mohel on site twice a day. Also, you might get some rest!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:19 am
amother OP wrote:
My instructions were lots of ointment on a gauze pad with every change, which I've been doing.

He said the bandage might fall off by itself and if it doesn't I should simply unwrap it before going to sleep tonight.

In retrospect seeing how messy it is down there I feel a little abandoned and very sorry for the baby being stuck with such an unskilled caregiver.

We are OOT and the mohel traveled at least 2 hours to do the bris so I understand why he can't come back so soon especially on a Friday but where does that leave me?!

Totally would have invited his family for Shabbos, it's a nice town and they actually expressed interest but his wife had to work

The oil is a good idea.
Put olive oil and let it soak in until morning. It should come off easily after.

smss

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:20 am
Hi OP. I don't really have anything helpful to say, I wish I did. But I just felt like I wanted you to know another mommy out there is reading your posts and feeling your stress and anxiety. This really is hard on so many levels. ❤️

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 2:25 am
I'm sorry OP! I had a similar issue this time and it's so traumatic!

DS had a diaper soakout a few hours after the bris and his clothes were stained with reddish liquid. This is not my first boy but I really got scared! I usually make DH deal with it but he was away also.

I finally had to take a photo of the bris and text it to the mohel. (It turned out to be fine, but I was not feeling so fine.)

The whole experience was NOT what I needed postpartum! So stressful.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics