Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Couple's short trips idea...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 8:53 pm
I posted months ago hoping to go away then, but it didn't happen.
Iyh id like to try and plan a fall trip with my husband. We are coming from Cleveland and have between 2-4 days, I don't know just yet. Preferably driving distance. I will iyh be 6+ months pregnant then and my husband's feet don't agree with walking too much. So, although I like nature, nothing too rigorous. (I'm out of breath walking up stairs) I realized I prefer a place with kosher food, I had thought to bring - but I don't want to shlep TBH. My husband does prefer a minyan.
We mainly want to relax, but have fun too.
I know this is super limiting! I'm just hoping there's somewhere someone can suggest!

amother
Blushpink

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 8:55 pm
I wish I can help. I’m good at answering this question from NY. I’m Sorry but not familiar with Cleveland and it’s environs. Bshaa tova

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:22 pm
Anyone have any ideas please?

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 7:03 am
Chicago comes to mind as offering minyan and lots of kosher food options. If you can survive without a restaurant, I loved my time in Kentucky. Confirm that Louisville still has a reliable minyan, and there are lots of great, non-strenuous activities there.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 8:10 am
Manhattan. Lots to do.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 10:35 am
doctorima wrote:
Chicago comes to mind as offering minyan and lots of kosher food options. If you can survive without a restaurant, I loved my time in Kentucky. Confirm that Louisville still has a reliable minyan, and there are lots of great, non-strenuous activities there.

Thanks!
I thought of Chicago, a possibility....
I want to go to Kentucky, but I'm hesitant with bringing food and having to cook. I want it to be a vacation for me Wink

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 10:35 am
amother Wheat wrote:
Manhattan. Lots to do.

I actually hate Manhattan and any big cities. But thanks anyway!

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 11:09 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
I thought of Chicago, a possibility....
I want to go to Kentucky, but I'm hesitant with bringing food and having to cook. I want it to be a vacation for me Wink

Depending on how pickey you are, you may not need to actually cook. DH and I just did a short trip to NH, and brought food for 3 nights/4 days. Here's what we did:

Breakfasts- cereal and milk, oatmeal (they had quaker oats packets at the continental breakfast, which we made with plain hot water)
Lunches (we were hiking/on the go, so nothing fancy): beef jerky, cold cut sandwiches (only DH, I'm pregnant) pb&J sandwiches, cream cheese sandwiches. We actually git the jam from the hotel as well, they had those little packets out for breakfast which was nice since I had only brought PB. I was looking for those little pre-made tuna packets before we left, because those would have perfect, but couldn't find

Dinner: we broguht a Betty crocker, but totally could have managed with the microwave in the room and double bagging, which we ended up doing 2/3 night
-night 1: warmed up takeout we got from home
- night 2: frozen veggie burgers and onion rings in the microwave, noodle soup as a snack
Night 3: frozen potato knishes, leftover veggie burgers, assorted leftover cold cuts (we ended up snacking too much and not being hungry)

I brought snacks like string cheese, nuts, and granola bars so we weren't hungry at all during the day. Everything perishable fit into 1 small cooler. It was not at all gourmet, but I didn't feel like I had to cook(DH did most if the microwaving lol) and we still had hot food

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 11:16 am
What about Niagara falls? 3.5 hour drive according to Google maps and I think chabad on the Canadian side will still have food, otherwise buffalo has some too. Young Israel and Chabads in Buffalo for minyanim or check with Chabad on the Canadian side. Lots of beautiful nature in the area that doesn't require much walking, I don't remember what would be on the way from Cleveland though. Definitely right around the falls are a few parks that you can drive pretty close to where you want to be. Western New York is gorgeous in the fall!!

Just don't stay in Niagara falls NY, it's a trashy area once you leave the actual falls.

Zahava94

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 11:19 am
If you're based in Cleveland, my top choice would be the Hocking Hills. There are lots of nice places to stay, and plenty of beautiful, not-too-demanding hiking opportunities among the hills, waterfalls and lovely fall colors. Another option would be heading into West Virginia and visiting Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, and the New River Gorge. Lots of affordable places to stay around there and the fall colors are incredible.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 11:24 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
What about Niagara falls? 3.5 hour drive according to Google maps and I think chabad on the Canadian side will still have food, otherwise buffalo has some too. Young Israel and Chabads in Buffalo for minyanim or check with Chabad on the Canadian side. Lots of beautiful nature in the area that doesn't require much walking, I don't remember what would be on the way from Cleveland though. Definitely right around the falls are a few parks that you can drive pretty close to where you want to be. Western New York is gorgeous in the fall!!

Just don't stay in Niagara falls NY, it's a trashy area once you leave the actual falls.

I found this link that has many ideas of nature near Niagara falls, distance would be depending on where you decide to stay but none too far. From what I remember whirlpool state park and Letchworth both have options to stay close to the parking lot and still see beautiful views. They also both have options to hike further and see more things if you are so inclined.

https://www.visitbuffaloniagar.....uide/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics