Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Girls copying homework from DD

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 7:14 pm
Dd is a good student and a bit nerdy. Often when girls don't do their homework they ask to copy from her. She doesn't want anyone to be upset with her but feels maybe it's not the right thing to do. She asked me how to handle it when it happens and I really don't know. Advice please?

bsy

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 7:28 pm
What grade?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 7:49 pm
Teach her to be assertive and say no. Yes people will be upset. That's ok. It's a valuable lesson for life.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:46 pm
Teach her to say no, politely but firmly. It's dishonest, cheapens her hard work, and plays her for a fool. The girls will neither like her nor respect her any better for letting them copy from her, and they will be taking credit for work that she did. If the teacher finds out, which she will, your DD will be equally guilty for allowing the cheating as the girls who cheated. Best your DD learns this now and not when she's in the workforce or competing with others for a job.

bsy

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:51 pm
I was the kid others copied from. It was very hard to say no. I wasnt looking for friends, bh I had my circle. But it was very awkward to say no. It might be a little much to ask of a slightly nerdy girl. If she can't, maybe she can try saying that she didn't really do it well. Or purposely do some wrong and girls will give up trying to copy her.

On another note, I had girls calling me at night to explain them the Chumash lesson. It took hours and frankly I had no interest. These were not my friends calling for help. At pta, my mother mentioned this to the teacher and asked if she can make sure the girls understand better in class. And the teacher basically said it was my job to help them. I stopped liking her from then on. And also stopped answering the phone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 11:50 pm
7th grade. It's math homework if that matters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children