Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to respectfully teach about not going into street
Previous  1  2

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 5:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! But that's not being proactive, that's only when it actually happens. I'm thinking if there's some sort of way to "practice?" Toddler is only 2.1 so he may not fully grasp the concept that where ever there's a step off he may not go. Though I do think he understands and just wants to test it.

That is being proactive
Teaching in the moment and asserting the limit
All the stories in the world won't teach an impulsive immature little brain in the moment

As you walk you can repeat "we walk on the sidewalk, feet stay on the sidewalk" if you want to prep more

MyUsername

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:14 pm
Every time you go outside, remind him at door about the street and what is and isn't allowed. Keep it short and simple. Eventually it will sink in.

Also, whenever you cross the street, make a big show of 'stop, look, and listen' out loud so your child starts to learn what behavior is needed for the street.

polka dots

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 4:06 pm
Don't make it into a game to run after him.
Stay close enough that if he goes into the street you can gently say no and bring him back. If you are far from him then you start running when he goes into the steet and then it can become a fun game of catch.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 5:53 pm
So happy to see other ppl posting that this is the only thing they potch for. Same here. There are no second chances with running into the street. In general, I think we talk way to much when it comes to parenting. Older kids and adults benefit from talking. Toddlers don't, it's not developmentaly appropriate to think you're teaching them by having a discussion.
If the potching isn't working, you probably didn't do it hard enough. A little slap on the hand isn't going to do it. It's not meant to scare, it's meant to hurt; to save your child from much worse hurt chas vshalom.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 6:03 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
So happy to see other ppl posting that this is the only thing they potch for. Same here. There are no second chances with running into the street. In general, I think we talk way to much when it comes to parenting. Older kids and adults benefit from talking. Toddlers don't, it's not developmentaly appropriate to think you're teaching them by having a discussion.
If the potching isn't working, you probably didn't do it hard enough. A little slap on the hand isn't going to do it. It's not meant to scare, it's meant to hurt; to save your child from much worse hurt chas vshalom.

How disturbing (the bolded). I'm tempted to say that if hitting your toddler isn't working it's actually because you're hitting the wrong person- you should be hitting yourself for not supervising your child closely enough. But actually no one should be hit. Not you and certainly not your kid. If they're too young to understand the risks and they don't listen, don't let them hang out near the street where you can't reach them. The end.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:50 pm
Despite my toddler being strapped in multiple times today, one time she managed to go till mid road!!!! The honking of a car startled me and I froze. And btw, I was standing in case of a going to the road trip. I must've looked away for a minute.

Bh nothing happened. I picked her up with a pounding heart, nearly in tears, and kissed her up. And strapped her in yet again.

G-d protects. Thank you Hashem

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 11:09 pm
I grew up in a home where there was literally a zero putting. I mean it no physical and emotional. A really wonderful, warm home. But yes, the one time one of us ever went in the street we were patched one time and one time only. And none of us ever did it again. I just checked with my parents and they said it’s true. Every kid test it and we knew that that was a huge red line. And kids do die by getting hit by a car so I feel like there’s a time and place for respectful, and the street is just not hit. I live on the street with a ton of cars and it would just take one time for my child to step over the line and either get hit really badly and die or be really injured. Or a miracle, but don’t really wanna rely on a miracle. I really don’t understand the respectful part when it comes to life and death. If that’s the one tiny Patrick head, I don’t think that they will have any scars from that. I know that I don’t and I would do the same for my kids. I have done the same.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 3:40 am
Put something in the street like a cereal box or balloon. Stand on the sidewalk holding toddler's hand. A car drives past and the object gets flattened. This graphic demonstration should help instill some healthy fear. You'll still have to watch them, though

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:21 am
amother Azalea wrote:
I grew up in a home where there was literally a zero putting. I mean it no physical and emotional. A really wonderful, warm home. But yes, the one time one of us ever went in the street we were patched one time and one time only. And none of us ever did it again. I just checked with my parents and they said it’s true. Every kid test it and we knew that that was a huge red line. And kids do die by getting hit by a car so I feel like there’s a time and place for respectful, and the street is just not hit. I live on the street with a ton of cars and it would just take one time for my child to step over the line and either get hit really badly and die or be really injured. Or a miracle, but don’t really wanna rely on a miracle. I really don’t understand the respectful part when it comes to life and death. If that’s the one tiny Patrick head, I don’t think that they will have any scars from that. I know that I don’t and I would do the same for my kids. I have done the same.

That's so good to hear.
This was always what I felt and now my kids are old enough to verbalize it, that they know this is the only thing they were ever potched for.
Also, it's assur to potch a child out of anger, only for chinuch purposes. For me, I knew it was for chinuch because it was so hard for me to bring myself to do it, but I knew I had a responsibility to my kids.

To the poster who said you deserve the potch for not supervising your kid, in a perfect world I might agree, but it is impossible to completely avoid this situation unless you keep your kid indoors at all times or on a leash.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:22 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Put something in the street like a cereal box or balloon. Stand on the sidewalk holding toddler's hand. A car drives past and the object gets flattened. This graphic demonstration should help instill some healthy fear. You'll still have to watch them, though

My children would have found this very exciting. A typical 2 year old is not nearly ready to transfer that information to themselves.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:56 am
Is there a soft and gentle way to perform CPR?
Not if you want it to be effective.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics